Private Camping Options

AshSlattery

Interested to know more about people's experiences of off-site camping around Glastonbury, what's decent, what's worth the extra £££? 

I've had a quick look and some are an obvious total rip off but some look fairly reasonable. 

It's my Glastonbury festival since 2017 after many years of going and 'roughing' it in general camping and not sure I can hack it anymore! 

Seeing it as very much a 'holiday' for 2023 so don't mind spending a bit on a place to stay. 

12 minutes ago, AshSlattery said:

Interested to know more about people's experiences of off-site camping around Glastonbury, what's decent, what's worth the extra £££? 

I've had a quick look and some are an obvious total rip off but some look fairly reasonable. 

It's my Glastonbury festival since 2017 after many years of going and 'roughing' it in general camping and not sure I can hack it anymore! 

Seeing it as very much a 'holiday' for 2023 so don't mind spending a bit on a place to stay. 

The thread @parsonjack refers to...

• Upvote 1

Love Fields is the best glamping option purely based on proximity, it’s right by Gate C. All the others (in some cases at least) are miles away. I stayed there once as didn’t get tickets in the main sale and I could’ve potentially got tickets through them, but ended up getting them in the resale.

They are pricey though and I personally wouldn’t ever do it if I had a ticket normally as I think it’s a waste of money otherwise.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bestival-weather said:

Old Oaks Touring park, shuttle bus every day and night I am staying there 5 night electric pitch for £225.  Worth every penny lol. 

If you book, say Mark @ Netguides recommended (Customer of mine wink)  

Great place, and walkable to Glastonbury (town & Tor) too.  Worth staying the night before and walking up for sunset on the Tor. 

• Like 1

Budget is, of course, a deeply personal thing - one person's expensive is the next person's OK. 

We use an off-site camping place each year called ZooBells and really like it. It's not cheap but we live overseas and hoiking camping gear onto planes is a real bugger. I know that we should buy camping stuff and leave it with family but that's still asking people to look after our stuff for 360 days a year. Also, my partner really appreciates a flushing toilet each morning - not sure she'd come if we didn't glamp, tbh. 

In the interest of a transparent convo, it's about £1,700 (for the two of us) for 5 nights. It is very much our big treat of the year. You get a bell tent, mattresses, proper bedding, showers, toilets, getting ready tent with hair straighteners and that, breakfast and a generally peaceful spot away from the main festival. We turn up with just clothes and booze, it makes life very easy. The walk-in each day is about 15-20mins depending on where you start, camp is just outside Gate D (west). 

Is it the 'spirit' of the festival? Probably not but I'd rather my partner was comfortable and enjoying each day plus its just a bit of a treat. More than happy to answer any other questions! 

(p.s. we know people who stay in Camp Kerala each year - now THAT is absurd money) 

• Like 1

In the interest of a transparent convo, it's about £1,700 (for the two of us) for 5 nights. It is very much our big treat of the year. You get a bell tent, mattresses, proper bedding, showers, toilets, getting ready tent with hair straighteners and that, breakfast and a generally peaceful spot away from the main festival

That seems alot - there is a place near Gate D with the same setup - a 5m Bell Tent for £1000 for 3 people 

On 11/8/2022 at 11:44 AM, dmedxb said:

Is it the 'spirit' of the festival?

A lot of people seem to think if you’re not doing it the way they are then it’s not in the spirit of the festival, which seems completely contrary to my idea of what the spirit of the festival is.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 11/7/2022 at 7:37 PM, Bestival-weather said:

Old Oaks Touring park, shuttle bus every day and night I am staying there 5 night electric pitch for £225.  Worth every penny lol. 

If you book, say Mark @ Netguides recommended (Customer of mine wink)  

Out of interest, how often is the shuttle bus from that site to (presumably) Gate A ?

38 minutes ago, moogster said:

Is it me or I am seeing more interest in paid camping compared to the past, and as well more interest in the pricier options? (just a question, no judgement from me)

I think it’s certainly the case, you can tell just by the pricing. Love fields pitch your own has gone from something like £300 to £750 on a few years, and that’s just to pitch your own tent. They wouldn’t be able to charge that if people wouldn’t pay it.

42 minutes ago, moogster said:

Is it me or I am seeing more interest in paid camping compared to the past, and as well more interest in the pricier options? (just a question, no judgement from me)

id say maybe annecdotal given you are posting in here ... they are always popular and usually get pretty close to selling out ... i guess we will only know if some don't sell out where they have previously and not the other way round 

I cant imagine i'd ever have the money to go for that sort of thing, unless i win the lottery - but if i did, i'd quite happily drop a  grand or five on something pretty damn comfortable. Canvas bell tents, decent beds, nice showers, parking quite near, all that sort of shebang. What do you have to spend to get a tent fridge? thats what id very much like, a lovely cold milkshake of a morning, perhaps a peach ice tea! 

i dont really begrudge anyone doing that if they have the money and want to spend it on something they really love, its all relative. People think i'm nuts for shelling out £15 on a can of some insanely rare, barrel aged imperial stouts - 'you can get a four park of Carling for £3, its all just beer!' well yeah, but i want what i want, and i only have to justify it to me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Luxury yurt for 2 = £4,200. Gulp.

Pfft! That’s slumming it. Camp Kerela has its own helipad. £15k from memory but that was a few years back and they don’t publish prices anymore. I guess if you have to ask you can’t afford it…

Just now, t0paz said:

Pfft! That’s slumming it. Camp Kerela has its own helipad. £15k from memory but that was a few years back and they don’t publish prices anymore. I guess if you have to ask you can’t afford it…

This is surely a joke post.

Can't be real.

52 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

For reasons too tedious to explain here we ended up getting collected by our taxi outside Pennard Orchard.

Seems very much a high end / luxury choice.

https://www.pennardorchard.co.uk/

The first year I did Glastonbury (2010) my mates were staying up there, I think it was a fair bit cheaper then.

The good think was I got to park up there with them and then carried my stuff down the hill to camp in the festival. 

They took you by golf buggy from the camp down to what was the entrance to MyHab, now that Worthy View is up there I don't know if they can get you as close.

Anyway, bar, food, showers, help carrying your stuff from car to tipi, showers, posh loos. Don't know if it's worth the prices they now charge and the walk up to the pick up place was a killer.

I half know someone who swears by Ziggu Camp

This one has a swimming pool.

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

They took you by golf buggy from the camp down to what was the entrance to MyHab

It gets worse, surely people need legs to get around once they're inside. Haven't seen any sedan chairs yet, but I expect it's coming.

Edited by Skip997
  • Upvote 1