Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

I'm convinced they wanted to get Taylor, since they got the other two headliners from 2020.

Plenty of female acts across the bill anyway so this discussion is much ado about nothing. The festival has three extravagant headliners yet the discussion is all about how the headliners all having penises isn't good enough. Madness, really.

I'm also not quite sure how having a white woman from an affluent background such as Taylor Swift would make the line-up more "diverse"?

Edited by VCK

2 minutes ago, VCK said:

I'm convinced they wanted to get Taylor, since they got the other two headliners from 2020.

Plenty of female acts across the bill anyway so this discussion is much ado about nothing. The festival has three extravagant headliners yet the discussion is all about how the headliners all having penises isn't good enough. Madness, really.

People are c**ts aren't they?

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

People are c**ts aren't they?

It's just the culture of people online being negative and moaning if something doesn't perfectly align with what they want the world to look like.

It's not the priority of the festival to appease the feelings of people.

34 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Why Cat Stevens only now? Was he a last resort? 

its public knowledge that they've tried many times before, and he wasn't happy to take the booking, which he felt would bring him too much unwanted attention (mostly to do with what he said years ago about the rushdie fatwa).

28 minutes ago, VCK said:

I'm also not quite sure how having a white woman from an affluent background such as Taylor Swift would make the line-up more "diverse"?

"all men are potential rapists", here's the 2023 version: "all rapists are potential women".

and back to glastonbury: all headliners are potentially female. 😛 

54 minutes ago, VCK said:

It's just the culture of people online being negative and moaning if something doesn't perfectly align with what they want the world to look like.

It's not the priority of the festival to appease the feelings of people.

Indeed. People using the apparent lack of diversity to make themselves all righteous.

Anyway GnR aren't the problem. Arctic Monkeys headlining for a third time is. 

23 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Emily wants to make the festival more diverse which is really important yet they have chosen the 3 acts they have for this year. She makes the decisions so if she wants a female headliner then she can arrange that. I totally get that the first choice might have fallen through or some acts aren’t around but for a topic like diversity which is important they could do more in my mind. 

Who?

‘I'm also not quite sure how having a white woman from an affluent background such as Taylor Swift would make the line-up more "diverse"?’ (Lost the quote somewhere)

I mean, given that Emily has spoken at length about diversity of gender (though not necessarily about headliners) it clearly would but, equally clearly, not in terms of ethnicity and affluence.  

It’s not an easy balance to find and it won’t be achieved across 3 headliners every year but imo it’s good that it’s being discussed and whilst Emily isn’t the immediate solution I don’t think we can see her as the problem.

Edited by DJL

41 minutes ago, Neil said:

"all men are potential rapists", here's the 2023 version: "all rapists are potential women".

Having a normal one Neil?

Come on, no need for this transphobic dog whistle at all. Completely unprompted as well.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

Diversity is an aim in that they’re trying to make the whole line up as balanced as possible, something they’re doing pretty well with. It isn’t the only thing they’re aiming for as we don’t live in a fantasy land where Emily can book whoever she wants (as referenced by Emily in Fridays Guardian article). Headliners are difficult for all sorts of reasons and as said many times, no promises have ever been made about Female headliners. Quite the opposite. To judge them on that is to judge them on an external and arbitrary set of criteria, which is unfair.

Yes they have a loyal fan base but as said previously if they start taking that for granted they’re in trouble. Emily will remember the years previously where they didn’t sell out and hopefully isn’t arrogant enough to think they can start booking whoever they want and assume that people will hand over well over £300. 

Emily and GFL are one of the most prominent bookers for festivals if not in the world then definitely in the UK. If they want to promote someone to a headline worthy status then they can do it, to claim they weren’t able to have a female headline because of the industry is a cop out for me.

Personally I don’t think that if they chose Lizzo over AM for the headline slot people would think that Emily is taking their audience for granted. If not Lizzo then Florence and the Machine are in Italy on the 22nd then Ireland on the 26th, so it’s not beyond impossible for Florence to headline.

26 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Emily and GFL are one of the most prominent bookers for festivals if not in the world then definitely in the UK. If they want to promote someone to a headline worthy status then they can do it, to claim they weren’t able to have a female headline because of the industry is a cop out for me.

Personally I don’t think that if they chose Lizzo over AM for the headline slot people would think that Emily is taking their audience for granted. If not Lizzo then Florence and the Machine are in Italy on the 22nd then Ireland on the 26th, so it’s not beyond impossible for Florence to headline.

But why book Lizzo and ditch AM when you can have AM *and* Lizzo? I’m just repeating myself now but they’ve got to sell tickets in hard Financial Times and have got three stadium acts headlining (almost unheard of), while the rest of what is announced is nearly 50-50. Let’s be realistic. Keep the criticism fair. She isn’t copping out of anything as long as she’s judged on what she actually promised rather than personal arbitrary criteria. Emily isn’t the bad guy here.

If Dua/Swift/Rihanna/Madonna/Pink we’re available then the conversation would be different but they aren’t. I did wonder about Flo but she has headlined more recently than either of the three headliners and isn’t as big a draw. 

Edited by MEGABOWL

1 hour ago, Neil said:

I get what you're saying.