Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

2 hours ago, HamishA. said:

has anything ruled Beyonce out of the Sat night headline spot? You'd imagine she has a good relationship with the festival after headlining in 2011, it'd be a great balance of headliners with Arctics and Elton, and we know there's a 2023 world tour coming as she auctioned off backstage tickets, and flights to one of the shows.

Odd that she hasn't announced the tour yet already imo, as that auction was 2 months ago. Perhaps there's a festival headline show holding the announcement up... (appreciate most likely wishful thinking)

No. Could be a few reasons why, but thats not one of em. One big one being that after the Taylor Swift mess her team is re evaluating how to go through the on sale process and not incur the wrath of the Beyhive. Been quite a few big tours over here which went onsale after Taylor that finally made other people realize how bad Ticketmaster is.

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

It's just shite la. I gave it a ton of eartime as I'm at a festival they're at in January...but nope. 

I proper like them. Kind of reminds me of a more innocent time, clubbing on the town in my teens... Has a real mainstream 90s early 00s dance feel to their songs, with a hint of modern seasoning. 

Not many Fred songs I'm skipping at the minute, and they always cheer me up somehow. 

Is this the very definition of a midlife crisis? 🙈😂

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

I proper like them. Kind of reminds me of a more innocent time, clubbing on the town in my teens... Has a real mainstream 90s early 00s dance feel to their songs, with a hint of modern seasoning. 

Not many Fred songs I'm skipping at the minute, and they always cheer me up somehow. 

Nah man! Fill your boots!! 🥰

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Not sure it ever has. No glasto headliner ever did Reading/Leeds the year before either so Arctics would be a first.

As below. If there was one act that could do it in England do it's them. Personally though I don't think a Reading second stage headliner is going to headline Glastonbury. It's not even like they can get away with it as a female diverse act.

Capaldi, Lizzo and Halsey to fit 3 of the sub/Pyramid sub slots.

2 hours ago, incident said:

The White Stripes did I think.

Yup, they subbed 2003 Reading, headlined 2004 Reading which is a rare one year later bump to headline and they went on to headline Glastonbury 2005

What a decent Pyramid run on Friday of The Killers into White Stripes. Also at the time, Coldplay, New Order, Keane, The Coral and Ash

My guess is someone is making confident bets because they know Capaldi is on the bill. I don’t think it’s anything to do with him being a headliner (as let’s be real we know our headliners). 

As others have said he’s probably subbing or something and some people who don’t overanalyse the word “headline” like we do is betting on it.

Separate conversation but I’ve seen the media / general public in the past use the word ‘headline’ for practically any prominent act on the bill. I still hear friends of mine refer to 2017 as the year Katy ‘headlined’.

Edited by Matt42

15 hours ago, Alvoram said:

if the facts don't fit, squeeze the facts to make them fit!!!

Just now, Neil said:

sorry meant to reply to someone else.

Oh no worries, I was so confused... wondering which part of that was presented as factual when it was all my subjective opinion... 🙈😂

You even got me questioning whether I do actually like Fred for a minute there!!! 🤣

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

You even got me questioning whether I do actually like Fred for a minute there!!! 🤣

He makes nice, sensitive dance music, wears his heart on his sleeve and litters his songs with references to garage, dnb, jungle, techno and trance which gives a nice feeling of nostalgia while also sounding  fresh.  His piano and pad work makes him sound like a more pop / accessible John Hopkins.

On the flip side, he's another middle class white guy who's had the benefit of having Brian Eno as a neighbour and a mentor so you kinda think "of course he's made it big, who wouldn't in that situation"

Chances are, a  few people (myself included)  think that if they were in his shoes and had those options available to them, they'd be able to attain a similar level of success and  are envious of that but you can't deny that he's put in the work over the last 8 years to get where he is.

I guess that kinda makes him the dance Ed Sheeran

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BambooShanks said:

He makes nice, sensitive dance music, wears his heart on his sleeve and litters his songs with references to garage, dnb, jungle, techno and trance which gives a nice feeling of nostalgia while also sounding  fresh.  His piano and pad work makes him sound like a more pop / accessible John Hopkins.

On the flip side, he's another middle class white guy who's had the benefit of having Brian Eno as a neighbour and a mentor so you kinda think "of course he's made it big, who wouldn't in that situation"

Chances are, a  few people (myself included)  think that if they were in his shoes and had those options available to them, they'd be able to attain a similar level of success and  are envious of that but you can't deny that he's put in the work over the last 8 years to get where he is.

I guess that kinda makes him the dance Ed Sheeran

Not sure why people care so much to discount someone based on their background. Views sure - but who cares where he's from. I'm interested in an artist's music not their wikipedia biography

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Not sure why people care so much to discount someone based on their background. Views sure - but who cares where he's from. I'm interested in an artist's music not their wikipedia biography

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. Sometimes it seems like only an orphan who grew up homeless on the wrong side of the tracks is allowed to be successful. 

38 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

The idea that "anyone" could become a world class DJ just because Brian Eno is their neighbour is definitely... a take. 

I like Fred but saying he was just his neighbour is underselling it a bit, he pretty much mentored him. Would this have happened if he wasn't from an incredibly well off background? Probably not. That's not to say he's not talented at all but we should recognise the leg up he got because he came from money. 

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

The idea that "anyone" could become a world class DJ just because Brian Eno is their neighbour is definitely... a take. 

...but being mega minted, never wanting for anything, getting the best training and having all the right connections...isn't. He wasn't just neighbours with Brian Eno, he was in a singing group with him and Annie Lennox...

48 minutes ago, gfa said:

Not sure why people care so much to discount someone based on their background

it's a criticism I have seen a bit over the last few months. Personally I don't see it as a negative, it's just what his background is. 

Like I said, I was/am envious that he had Eno as a neighbour and would have loved to have that opportunity to be mentored by a legendary producer, I mean, who wouldn't?  The knowledge, skills, equipment and contacts available would have been invaluable to a musician at any age, let alone as a 16 year old. 

He deserves his success, he made the most out of the opportunities, worked very hard over the last 8 years and made some bloody marvellous albums along the way - that was never in question. 

Fundamentally he's a nice guy who makes nice music. Recognising the circumstances that helped his career doesn't take that away, even if it did come across that way in my earlier reply.

38 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. Sometimes it seems like only an orphan who grew up homeless on the wrong side of the tracks is allowed to be successful. 

But of course nobody would say a word about the Taylors, Billies and Lanas of the world with all the help they got.