Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Not seen a single lineup so far at any festival that’s got me excited. It’s looking really weak across the board. I’m sure Glastonbury will be great but this stinks of a non-vintage year.

Primavera Sound got Blur, Kendrick Lamar, Depeche Mode, FKA Twigs, Rosalia, The War On Drugs, Pet Shop Boys, St Vincent, Ghost, Halsey, Loyle Carner, CATQ, Mars Volta and My Morning Jacket all on one lineup though. 

GnR and AM can surely only mean a female headliner as the third slot? Fuck me what a poor first two headliners if it's true - both nowhere near the levels they used to be (not in terms of size, but quality - in my opinion) and very geared towards the same type of crowd. First year I may not be seeing any of the headliners! 

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

They've never had an act that size do it before. Even the likes of Dolly and Kylie are nowhere near as big.

He's far too big for that slot and there's absolutely no reason to think he'd take it.

Dunno about that... 

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/entertainment/popularity/all-time-music-artists/all

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

They've never had an act that size do it before. Even the likes of Dolly and Kylie are nowhere near as big.

He's far too big for that slot and there's absolutely no reason to think he'd take it.

Indeed - the biggest act they've had in the slot, by some distance, was Kylie. And the whole "effectively a 4th headliner" thing which came about at the same time was basically a sop to acknowledge that yeah, she's not really headline status anymore but partly because of her legacy and partly because she was previously booked to headline before getting cancer deserves some extra recognition.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Indeed - the biggest act they've had in the slot, by some distance, was Kylie. And the whole "effectively a 4th headliner" thing which came about at the same time was basically a sop to acknowledge that yeah, she's not really headline status anymore but partly because of her legacy and partly because she was previously booked to headline before getting cancer deserves some extra recognition.

Spot on. It’s a bone they throw to book a big artist into a lesser slot.

Elton John does not need that bone.

3 minutes ago, SpencerF said:

GnR and AM can surely only mean a female headliner as the third slot? Fuck me what a poor first two headliners if it's true - both nowhere near the levels they used to be (not in terms of size, but quality - in my opinion) and very geared towards the same type of crowd. First year I may not be seeing any of the headliners! 

I thought the Guns N Roses booking would be more about the 'Stranger Things' generation

2 minutes ago, incident said:

And yet numerous poles / lists suggest Dolly is bigger than both Kylie and Elton 🤷‍♂️

It's a flawed argument that keeps being repeated. Dolly is huge, massively huge. 

8 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Primavera Sound got Blur, Kendrick Lamar, Depeche Mode, FKA Twigs, Rosalia, The War On Drugs, Pet Shop Boys, St Vincent, Ghost, Halsey, Loyle Carner, CATQ, Mars Volta and My Morning Jacket all on one lineup though. 

We'll get a lot of those though either next year or we had them this year. I would say though I'd have rather had blur or Depeche mode over GnR anyday of the week.

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

I thought the Guns N Roses booking would be more about the 'Stranger Things' generation

And yet numerous poles / lists suggest Dolly is bigger than both Kylie and Elton 🤷‍♂️

It's a flawed argument that keeps being repeated. Dolly is huge, massively huge. 

In what context? The only context that matters is "able to draw a crowd at Glastonbury". Which while entirely subjective, I'm confident Kylie is miles ahead and that it's been proven.

8 minutes ago, TGCarr said:

More annoyed seeing Sam Fender showing up everywhere and on every line up across Europe.

but annoyingly wont be at Glasto

He was already there this year at a prominent spot, he hasn't really got anywhere to go other than an other stage headline or headline, neither of which he is getting next year.

7 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

I'm with you on this Matt. In terms of big headliners anyway. Looking a bit like 2018 which had a lot of similar names across the board playing everywhere.

The undercard will still be strong and there's bound to be one or two curve balls thrown in.

On a personal level a weaker lineup actually suits me. I'm taking the kids so won't be dashing between stages trying to catch loads anyway, just give me one or two acts to get me excited each day and I'll be happy.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

You could argue that Sunday slot would get him the biggest crowd and it would look great on tele.

I won't, but you could. 

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

The undercard will still be strong and there's bound to be one or two curve balls thrown in.

On a personal level a weaker lineup actually suits me. I'm taking the kids so won't be dashing between stages trying to catch loads anyway, just give me one or two acts to get me excited each day and I'll be happy.

Yeah the undercard will be good. And that's what will still make it an unreal festival.

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

This is probably copium but GNR's Tweet says "announcing our first show of 2023". Could that possible mean it's the first one they're playing in the year, rather than the first announced show of the year? 

I suspect that you're putting more thought into the choice of words than the person who penned them did.

18 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

You could suggest all those reasons to put Macca there, but you wouldn’t because it’s Macca. 

You also wouldn’t because it’s Elton, simply far far too big to play the slot .

It's exactly where Macca should have been.

Get some exciting and more contemporary acts headlining.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

This is probably copium but GNR's Tweet says "announcing our first show of 2023". Could that possible mean it's the first one they're playing in the year, rather than the first announced show of the year? 

I will take any shred of hope that they aren't headlining that I can get. COME ONNNNNNN

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's exactly where Macca should have been.

Get some exciting and more contemporary acts headlining.

Your saying a beatle shouldn’t headline, you’ve said some stupid things but Macca is a headliner . 

along side him you had 2 young contemporary acts in Kendrick and Billie 

2 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Surely you can't expect people to take you seriously when you say something like that?

People can take me seriously or not, as they like, but I'm serious.

2 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Your saying a beatle shouldn’t headline, you’ve said some stupid things but Macca is a headliner . 

along side him you had 2 young contemporary acts in Kendrick and Billie 

It ain't stupid it's my opinion and I couldn't give a damn if he was a Beatle, they split up in 1970. Let's get Ringo on.

Yes 2022 had 2 young contemporary acts, I'm taking about 2023 where we may have two boring old rock acts.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

It ain't stupid it's my opinion and I couldn't give a damn if he was a Beatle, they split up in 1970. Let's get Ringo on.

Yes 2022 had 2 young contemporary acts, I'm taking about 2023 where we may have two boring old rock acts.

There may be no one else around that’s touring , you want Eminem who isn’t even touring but he hasn’t done anything relevant in years .

This happens some years where no one’s touring cycles sync up with the festival so there have to get the best options available.

Looking at who is playing at festivals who would you have , it seems to be acts are choosing their own shows over festivals 

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Boring to you. The Artics are still massive and very popular