2024 Headliners

15 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

i don't believe this for a second - it gets worse every year but these days it seems that the main stages are run almost as a BBC reality show. i don't know why they don't just rename it the "BBC Glastonbury Festival" and be done with it.

unfortunately, here in the UK, the BBC is already PPV - the only difference is you have no choice in the matter and you have to pay or you'll end up getting some enforcer banging on your door... whether you want to watch the f**king BBC or not.

And it's a f*cking rip off

25 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

i don't believe this for a second - it gets worse every year but these days it seems that the main stages are run almost as a BBC reality show. i don't know why they don't just rename it the "BBC Glastonbury Festival" and be done with it.

unfortunately, here in the UK, the BBC is already PPV - the only difference is you have no choice in the matter and you have to pay or you'll end up getting some enforcer banging on your door... whether you want to watch the f**king BBC or not.

You OK hun? 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Just now, The Red Telephone said:

The licence fee costs about £2.20 a month more than an ad-free Netflix subscription and is definitely not a rip-off for me. 

it could cost £0.01 per month, the cost is irrelevant - its the fact you have no choice but to pay it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So you don’t watch, or listen, to anything on the BBC?

thats not the point tho is it - of course i do... but only because i am forced to pay the BBC tax.

if there was a choice involved, then no, i would not watch or listen to anything on the BBC.

3 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

thats not the point tho is it - of course i do... but only because i am forced to pay the BBC tax.

if there was a choice involved, then no, i would not watch or listen to anything on the BBC.

As you don’t watch anything live, you can watch on-demand stuff without a licence.

they say that, but can folk honestly not say that they dont do one of these things - from the licensing website

No TV? Not watching TV live on any channel or service, or BBC iPlayer*? Empty property? You can let us know here by completing a No Licence Needed declaration.

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record TV on any channel - via any TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, BT, Freeview, Freesat)
  • watch TV live on any streaming service (e.g. ITVX, Channel 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go)
  • watch BBC iPlayer*.

On any device.

As you don’t watch anything live, you can watch on-demand stuff without a licence.

that's a lovely idea, the only issue really is that i like to watch a lot of stuff live.

4 minutes ago, Chazeboy said:

they say that, but can folk honestly not say that they dont do one of these things - from the licensing website

No TV? Not watching TV live on any channel or service, or BBC iPlayer*? Empty property? You can let us know here by completing a No Licence Needed declaration.

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record TV on any channel - via any TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, BT, Freeview, Freesat)
  • watch TV live on any streaming service (e.g. ITVX, Channel 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go)
  • watch BBC iPlayer*.

On any device.

The law doesn't say that, the TV licencing website does.. The law, according to gov.uk, says:

You need a TV Licence if you:

watch or record live TV on any channel or service
    use BBC iPlayer

You do not need a TV Licence to watch:

streaming services like Netflix and Disney Plus
    on-demand TV through services like All 4 and Amazon Prime Video
    videos on websites like YouTube
    videos or DVDs

Which obviously is a lot more forgiving. The actual act specifically refers to BBC provided service as the only on-demand content within scope.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

ha! yeah - its just that the TV License is something that makes my blood boil.... 

It's designed to do that. It should just be part of general taxation and nobody, except for people who form their world-view from the Daily Mail opinion pages, would bat an eyelid.

19 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Tbh as much as the BBC can be irritating - services like 6music and BBC Introducing do more for the British music scene than our Government would.

Out of upvotes but totally agree.

Also, the breadth of the services they provide when you look at it is staggering and to do it to such high standards without ad revenue is incredible - even with the licence fee income.  Regrettably, when the Govt forced the BBC to take responsibility for absorbing the cost of free TV licences for pensioners, one of the areas that was worst hit was comedy.  Something they excel at both on TV and radio.

Aaaaaaaaanyway  back to the headliners............ 

I did state on here that id listened to SZA a fair bit and could take it or leave it, however after listening to her for another few days, she does have a fair few great tunes amongst the "Take it or leave it" tracks. 

Always worth checking out vids of live performances too which, by all accounts....... look very impressive

26 minutes ago, Mcbatesman said:

I actually don't mind paying the BBC licence fee 🤷

Same. I don't even watch much telly at all but I'd pay it for 6 Music alone. I also think having a national broadcaster that makes expensive educational and cultural programming for some quite niche audiences is a lovely thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Same. I don't even watch much telly at all but I'd pay it for 6 Music alone. I also think having a national broadcaster that makes expensive educational and cultural programming for some quite niche audiences is a lovely thing.

BBC radio is free.