2024 Headliners

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah there’s no way she revealed next years headliners to The Guardian whilst discussing the reveal of this headliners and lineup. 

Not a chance. Not her style. Plus she’s studiously avoided giving any games away since the Prince palaver.

Here are my thoughts  - feel free to pull apart

From what Emily mentioned in her interview

In an interview with The Guardian, Eavis said the original female headliner pulled out because she "changed her touring plans"

"While she didn’t disclose the now-cancelled act’s name, Eavis said she hopes to secure them within the next five years."

Widly reported to be Taylor Swift I think this could actually be Rihanna - There was a lot of speculation and it only went away when the GnR speculation started could have been booked and then changed plans with pregnancy. secure within the next 5 years implies the act that pulled out is not one of the two female headliners.

Speaking to The Guardian, Eavis confirmed that of the two female headliners for 2024, one has already been confirmed while the other is “close” to being booked. The Glasto boss also revealed that both headliners will be making their Glastonbury debuts

Given that they have already been in conversation - it would be suprising if one of these was not Taylor Swift when she pulled out of the cancelled fest its entirly possible they wrapped this up then 

This leaves one Female headliner that is a Glastonbury debutant that they are in talks with -  In all honestly without knowing all the deatails on who is touring\ relaing material etc etc its probably guess work on this one but in all fareness its not a massive pool of acts . So here is a list of names that I can come up with who are 1) female 2) never played Glastonbury 3) headliner size

1) Madonna 2) PInk 3) Ariana Grande 4) Kate Bush (unlikley) 5) Brittney Spears 6) Christian Aguilera 7) Stevie Nicks Solo

for Barrel scraping purposes - a mention of Mariah Carey & Avril Laveing (probably not quite big enough to headline)

& Cher probably more likley for a legend slot than a headliner IMO

Worth noting that Dua Lipa & Lady Gaga have both played Glastonbury - so probably ruled out unless the "debut" was a misdirection  & Beyonce obviously has headlined already.

I’d heard that Rihanna would be touring off the back of the Superbowl (like The Weeknd announcing his big tour when he did it, just as Covid hit) and can only assume the pregnancy changed those plans. I could see her being who Emily was referring to - that Taylor tour has been on the cards for a long while, and by only playing weekends and big stadiums it was always going to be an all-summer affair.

I reckon pregnancy will rule Rihanna out. Playing festivals, even if it’s only this one, would be part of a meticulously planned, strategic return to music. If Glasto get her in 2024, it’ll be a massive coup. I think it’s extremely unlikely. 

I think Taylor is unlikely too. Emily’s “next five years” comment seems to seal her fate for ‘24. 

I concur with others that although P!nk is technically big enough, she doesn’t seem the ‘kind of’ act they go for. She’d be brilliant but I just can’t picture it. 

Given Dua’s musical schedule and her lack of an appearance last year and this, I think the safe money is on her. 

I’d also bet on Madonna. Touring a festival-friendly set for the first time ever(?), she’ll be more than aware of Glasto and the Eavii have been desperate to book her for years. There’s no way they haven’t tried for 2024, and she’s the act I think is close but hasn’t yet signed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I think its pretty sad that it would take an artist getting popular again because of a tv show to even get  considered to perform. Im sure Kate was asked when she did her London shows and said no 10 years ago already. Would be interesting to see how many people would try to stick around to hear Running Up That Hill then leave afterwards.

Sorry I meant it as a joke and no means a reflection on my interest in her set.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless Emily was being extremely coy, she’s strongly hinted that Taylor isn’t booked for next year or any other year at this point. Festivals now have to fit around her tour or more likely wait for it to be over. I’d be very happy to be wrong.

I still reckon they’re going all out to try and bag Madonna, and Dua’s already signed up. 

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

After the stick they’ve taken in some quarters for this year’s dated trio, blowing the entire budget on a Madonna show which has a good chance of being a train wreck doesn’t feel like a sensible move. Dua, Dave/1975/Ezra and an older-skewing but reliable guitar band. 

Eh, the end result/show doesn’t matter as much as bagging the biggest female pop star ever to headline (especially if it ends up being her lone/first festival date). Could possibly be a train wreck, could possibly be absolutely incredible, but having Madonna topping the lineup is enough as it is.

26 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

After the stick they’ve taken in some quarters for this year’s dated trio, blowing the entire budget on a Madonna show which has a good chance of being a train wreck doesn’t feel like a sensible move. Dua, Dave/1975/Ezra and an older-skewing but reliable guitar band. 

They take stick in some quarters regardless of who's booked. The stick they've had this year is no louder than average, and significantly quieter than some of the years in the past (and obviously less than if they booked the trio of subheadliner level acts that you're suggesting).

If Madonna is available, and within budget, they absolutely jump at the chance.