ticketmaster dynamic pricing uk

brettredmayne

Monkeys tomorrow. This true

From the Manchester Evening News

Being as early as possible is the best way to ensure you get tickets, as the pre-sale queues are expected to get busy. 

The amount of people who join the online queue will also have an affect on the ticket prices, we won't know until sales open just how much tickets will cost but in line with the 'demandbased pricing' system, the price goes up the more people are on the website.

2 hours ago, Dronx said:

Being as early as possible is the best way to ensure you get tickets, as the pre-sale queues are expected to get busy. 

The amount of people who join the online queue will also have an affect on the ticket prices, we won't know until sales open just how much tickets will cost but in line with the 'demandbased pricing' system, the price goes up the more people are on the website.

Maybe I’m way off - but we need a large scale market correction. We are in a cost of living crisis which is dividing society between who can and cannot afford things. Sad to say it but we need to see some big gigs have poor ticket sales due to pricing to see any change.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dronx said:

Very good chance they misinterpreted something i reckon. its on seetickets too who have never done dynamic pricing

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Maybe I’m way off - but we need a large scale market correction. We are in a cost of living crisis which is dividing society between who can and cannot afford things. Sad to say it but we need to see some big gigs have poor ticket sales due to pricing to see any change.

But that won’t happen. With dynamic pricing if there is low demand the price will come down until they have all sold. It’s only when there is high demand that prices go up. 

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Slippery slope. If an artists tour isnt selling well theyll cancel multiple dates or the tour outright because its not worth going to venues which will be a third full or something to that extent. Santigold just cancelled her fall tour in the u.s cause it was going to be too costly to do it. I would also assume that not having enough dates sold out in advance makes the decision a bit easier. The worst thing is that Covid didnt reset the market entirely like we thought it might. Inflation and supply chain more or less erased that. Right now promoters want things to go back to normal and it aint happening since nobody has money. And if they do you have to be very selective on what you want to go to. We've been getting some really last minute shows here that arent like anything buzz worthy per say. Joy Crookes was here last night and she announced the show last week. Like what gives. Had to be a visa thing I assume. Im going to a likely half empty festival this weekend which has tickets going for half on the resale market.

Dynamic pricing will adjust as mentioned to a much lower number if the demand dies down. But it takes a lot for that to happen anyway. Usually when it goes up it stays there for a while. But there is at least a good chance things can adjust back to normal if its a tour thats 6+ months ahead.

Im sure Arctics is going to be brutal though and standing tickets will go through the roof at some dates. Take screenshots people so theres comparison.

11 hours ago, Matt42 said:

It seems like what's happening is people are paying £100 for "sure thing" huge acts and making that their gig for the year, then cutting smaller shows.

It's a weird example, but Bret Mackenzie, aka. Bret off of Flight of the Conchords just bought out his first solo "serious" album. Massive US/UK tour planned. 9 UK dates in Academy-size venues, he pulled all of them except London. Similar story in the US.

On 9/29/2022 at 8:36 AM, Suprefan said:

Im sure Arctics is going to be brutal though and standing tickets will go through the roof at some dates. Take screenshots people so theres comparison.

The UK ticket prices seemed to stay rooted at face. Helped SeeTickets does not have dynamic pricing and handled the main pre-sale and most of the tickets by the look of it.

AM's US shows that went on sale today, on the other hand... one of the highest voted posts on their Reddit is headlined "Ticketmaster selling $99 floor tickets for $280" plus another going "Fuck Ticketmaster" and similar wild escalations in price.

Muse's US tour, which also went on sale today, seems to have similar fluctuations, in that there's nothing left for their MSG date in March 2023 below $400.

I can only hope this self-proclaimed free market enclave isn't inspired to copy this example for more gigs in the UK going forward.

32 minutes ago, charlierc said:

The UK ticket prices seemed to stay rooted at face. Helped SeeTickets does not have dynamic pricing and handled the main pre-sale and most of the tickets by the look of it.

AM's US shows that went on sale today, on the other hand... one of the highest voted posts on their Reddit is headlined "Ticketmaster selling $99 floor tickets for $280" plus another going "Fuck Ticketmaster" and similar wild escalations in price.

Muse's US tour, which also went on sale today, seems to have similar fluctuations, in that there's nothing left for their MSG date in March 2023 below $400.

I can only hope this self-proclaimed free market enclave isn't inspired to copy this example for more gigs in the UK going forward.

Not quite to the same extreme but they did it with Lizzo tickets today. Standing tickets were £75 in the presale but the tour seemed like it was sold out not long after it went on sale today, only for lots of tickets almost double that price to appear on Ticketmaster.

As a Bruce Springsteen fan, I am disgusted and disappointed that he went ahead with dynamic pricing, and also has remained silent after the outcry about it. 

Some fans argue, "Everyone is doing it", however, it doesn't have to be this way. Posted this in the Paul Heaton thread, but it is relevant here too. There are still decent musicians around.

https://planetradio.co.uk/absolute-radio/music/news/paul-heaton-low-ticket-prices/?fbclid=IwAR2eUf3T9Cqd_SvDJKaHALURU9y60ukaaXqzOwy65IcdpellNXTxA2hvPaM

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Been a long week here for those sales. All of this started on Tuesday. Youre just seeing the leftovers of things. Depeche Mode was brutal and that got up into the thousands for floor seats. Go look at all of their complaints too. Have a friend who is a big Muse fan and he even balked at the La prices for seats cause they were way inflated. And he will spend. I came away fairly unscathed with paying only an extra $20 on a ticket for Depeche Mode. Also waiting in Arctics cause its 3 dates and market saturation will do its job with prices coming down.  Presales are the real onsales in the u.s. General is a formality now cause they gotta do that. 

The Irony of springsteen being quiet is that the legislation in congress to fight this is called The BOSS Act. 🤣

and again i will reiterate that artists can request these things not be put into play. 

Check it out below. 

1880CDB7-F4A7-4EC8-A723-0BF9F6D6E46F.png

Edited by Suprefan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Been a long week here for those sales. All of this started on Tuesday. Youre just seeing the leftovers of things. Depeche Mode was brutal and that got up into the thousands for floor seats. Go look at all of their complaints too. Have a friend who is a big Muse fan and he even balked at the La prices for seats cause they were way inflated. And he will spend. I came away fairly unscathed with paying only an extra $20 on a ticket for Depeche Mode. Also waiting in Arctics cause its 3 dates and market saturation will do its job with prices coming down.  Presales are the real onsales in the u.s. General is a formality now cause they gotta do that. 

The Irony of springsteen being quiet is that the legislation in congress to fight this is called The BOSS Act. 🤣

and again i will reiterate that artists can request these things not be put into play. 

Check it out below. 

That’s just nuts…Same tour, €80 (ish) in Dublin, resale tickets face value + fees…why? Cos it’s illegal to sell tickets above the original price (and consequently, no dynamic pricing on TM in Ireland. Can’t even use demand to set the original price as it has to be displayed when advertised for sale). You could fly from LA, see the gig in Dublin (about 10 minutes from the airport), fly back and would still be cheaper! (Not for the planet mind you)…

image.thumb.jpeg.0785ea53362e3b1951516a80f04d29cc.jpeg

3 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

That’s just nuts…Same tour, €80 (ish) in Dublin, resale tickets face value + fees…why? Cos it’s illegal to sell tickets above the original price (and consequently, no dynamic pricing on TM in Ireland. Can’t even use demand to set the original price as it has to be displayed when advertised for sale). You could fly from LA, see the gig in Dublin (about 10 minutes from the airport), fly back and would still be cheaper! (Not for the planet mind you)…

image.thumb.jpeg.0785ea53362e3b1951516a80f04d29cc.jpeg

I know, it stinks. Couldve easily gone to Dublin and London for less. Have friends who got tickets to Berlin x 2 and Rome. All in total for 6 tickets was the equivalent of $700. That was what a pair mightve cost for upper levels here. 

I knew this was going to trigger a lot within the DM fanbase. Theyre never ready. Theyre the type that goes to a concert once a year so they dont experience this madness til its the one band. Everyone still thinks theyre in the 90's and wonder what happened. Progress and technology did. For myself it makes it easy pickings to know how they go about things and to get tickets without much issue. They all looked at the front section of floor for tickets and gasped at prices. I looked at lower levels in the rear rows and found the value and snatched em up and got out of there not agonizing or thinking about what to do when I had seen what transpired hours earlier. Also going to a different city which was largely ignored during the same time because it wasnt the opening night nor los angeles. Grabbed a decent seat without much trouble. Thats the one thing we have here which helps, time zones. You can always see what happens early in the morning and then plan around it, get prices and see how things sold or get passwords.

12 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Not quite to the same extreme but they did it with Lizzo tickets today. Standing tickets were £75 in the presale but the tour seemed like it was sold out not long after it went on sale today, only for lots of tickets almost double that price to appear on Ticketmaster.

Didn't Lizzo have something like 6 pre-sales according to one of the threads talking about her shows? That absolutely wouldn't have helped numbers be available, to say nothing of the Ticketmaster Premium thing then popping up

11 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Check it out below. 

I'd heard whispers from lurking on Muse's Reddit that it was threatening to be like this before it duly got out of hand. All 3 going out at the same time was going to cause trouble like this, let alone anyone trying to buy for all 3.

That price for that Depeche Mode ticket is insane.

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I know, it stinks. Couldve easily gone to Dublin and London for less. Have friends who got tickets to Berlin x 2 and Rome. All in total for 6 tickets was the equivalent of $700. That was what a pair mightve cost for upper levels here. 

I knew this was going to trigger a lot within the DM fanbase. Theyre never ready. Theyre the type that goes to a concert once a year so they dont experience this madness til its the one band. Everyone still thinks theyre in the 90's and wonder what happened. Progress and technology did. For myself it makes it easy pickings to know how they go about things and to get tickets without much issue. They all looked at the front section of floor for tickets and gasped at prices. I looked at lower levels in the rear rows and found the value and snatched em up and got out of there not agonizing or thinking about what to do when I had seen what transpired hours earlier. Also going to a different city which was largely ignored during the same time because it wasnt the opening night nor los angeles. Grabbed a decent seat without much trouble. Thats the one thing we have here which helps, time zones. You can always see what happens early in the morning and then plan around it, get prices and see how things sold or get passwords.

It never occurred to me until now that this happened. I feel like here all of Europe just goes on sale at the same time but maybe it doesn't?

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It does seem that dynamic pricing doesn't kick in during presales - it didnt for The Boss - so it's a further incentive to be organised.

If your nerding out on this site and not buying your tickets in the presale (or trying to at least) then i have serious questions!

6 hours ago, gfa said:

It never occurred to me until now that this happened. I feel like here all of Europe just goes on sale at the same time but maybe it doesn't?

If your nerding out on this site and not buying your tickets in the presale (or trying to at least) then i have serious questions!

There is, but the thing is its only an hour since most of europe is plus 2 gmt. Nobody really going east for gigs per say. There have been rare instances a u.s tour goes onsale all at the same time but thats few and far between. Spotify tried that with their presales because people would share the password. But now they send the password out right at onsale time and you need to have your inbox open to see if you got it or not.

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It does seem that dynamic pricing doesn't kick in during presales - it didnt for The Boss - so it's a further incentive to be organised.

It kicked in on AM, DM and Muse 10 mins into the presales here lol. Ive gotten into onsales within the first 5 mins and theres platinum tickets already. Theyre in key spots and you can see they were allotted that way from the get go.

I checked the London DM date and they have some platinum tickets available, but its hilarious cause its not that much higher than normal cost. And it does seem that they sold out Twickenham, could only pull single seats.

18 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I checked the London DM date and they have some platinum tickets available, but its hilarious cause its not that much higher than normal cost. And it does seem that they sold out Twickenham, could only pull single seats.

Yeah I spotted that as well. Decent demand indeed if they've basically sold the thing out already, to the point where they could conceivably have added another show, which is a contrast given I'm pretty sure my ticket to the Olympic Stadium 2017 date was booked several months after the on-sale.

And also noted the Platinum thing. Touch wood, it doesn't seem to be as insane as it is in other markets yet.

On 10/8/2022 at 10:19 AM, gfa said:

Pretty sure when European tours go on sale that they're staggered to relevant local times - so 9am local for France or Italy becomes 8am here.

But maybe I'm wrong, or indeed it could be artist specific where some do it staggered and some go for an everything all at once approach.