ticketmaster dynamic pricing uk

brettredmayne

11 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Wish people voted with their wallet and just boycotted TicketMaster. Absolute shower of shit company. Their fees are one thing, dynamic pricing is on a whole other level.

If there's anyone I'd love to see go bust it's them. But won't ever happen sadly 😞

Not an option for a lot of shows

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Completely unrealistic

How so? If someone's opposed to Ticketmaster then they have an option not to buy a ticket from them. If Ticketmaster are the only ones selling to a particular gig or venue, that person has the option not to go to the show.

Whether or not people decide to do it is another matter, but everyone has the option of where they spend their money.

Edited by Quark

3 hours ago, Quark said:

How so? If someone's opposed to Ticketmaster then they have an option not to buy a ticket from them. If Ticketmaster are the only ones selling to a particular gig or venue, that person has the option not to go to the show.

Whether or not people decide to do it is another matter, but everyone has the option of where they spend their money.

I mean its completely unrealistic to expect society to boycott them. I hate ticketmaster etc etc, but if my favourite artist is only using ticketmaster then you bet i'm buying a ticket. I always try to avoid them otherwise though

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

I mean its completely unrealistic to expect society to boycott them. I hate ticketmaster etc etc, but if my favourite artist is only using ticketmaster then you bet i'm buying a ticket. I always try to avoid them otherwise though

Gotcha. Yeah it's unrealistic because people are gonna people.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:55 PM, Hugh Jass II said:

Can we not all agree that anyone who supports this bullshit is a massive c**t?

So then lets find every artist that allows it and tell them theyre a massive c*nt. Shouldnt be too hard to do since its almost everyone. Weird Al most recently had specifics for his tour to not have platinum or dynamic pricing activated. So the argument of artists are clueless to this goes right out the window. 

You can blame me, I was in the beta testing group over 10 years ago when they were exploring it as a feature. 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 9/9/2022 at 5:12 PM, gfa said:

Is it? They're currently the only company doing this tiered pricing rubbish, some people got caught out but where tickets are available from multiple sellers, "don't use Ticketmaster, the tickets are more expensive" is going to catch on quick. I somehow doubt that this dynamic pricing will drop the price below what See are charging if there's not as much demand as expected the morning they go on sale.

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Is it? They're currently the only company doing this tiered pricing rubbish, some people got caught out but where tickets are available from multiple sellers, "don't use Ticketmaster, the tickets are more expensive" is going to catch on quick. I somehow doubt that this dynamic pricing will drop the price below what See are charging if there's not as much demand as expected the morning they go on sale.

The decision to boycott them needs to be made by the artists. They decide which ticketing agencies they use and what proportion of the tickets are given to each. 
If TM get 90% of the tickets it means there is very little option to use an alternative agency. 

As touring is the main money earner for artists I can’t see it happening 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, tarw said:

The decision to boycott them needs to be made by the artists. They decide which ticketing agencies they use and what proportion of the tickets are given to each. 
If TM get 90% of the tickets it means there is very little option to use an alternative agency. 

As touring is the main money earner for artists I can’t see it happening 

Pearl jam tried this years ago but ticket master own / have partnerships with loads of venues so its a full monopoly thing.

15 hours ago, danmarks said:

Pearl jam tried this years ago but ticket master own / have partnerships with loads of venues so its a full monopoly thing.

But the thing was back then there werent too many indy promoters that couldve made a foothold into other venues for them to perform at. Nowadays its more feasible because lots of places are not under that umbrella. You just have to find them.

Is this solution good enough for a high demand act doing underplays? Paramore doing 2 datez in LA in venues between 1800 - 2300 cap. All tickets are via ballot, no actual onsale will take place. You send in a ticket request and they will notify you if you got tickets or not and your card will be charged. Also no tickets can be transferred. If you need to sell them there is a face value ticket exchange they must be put on. Also tickets are much higher priced. £100+

https://paramore.shop.ticketstoday.com/Splash.aspx

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

But the thing was back then there werent too many indy promoters that couldve made a foothold into other venues for them to perform at. Nowadays its more feasible because lots of places are not under that umbrella. You just have to find them.

Is this solution good enough for a high demand act doing underplays? Paramore doing 2 datez in LA in venues between 1800 - 2300 cap. All tickets are via ballot, no actual onsale will take place. You send in a ticket request and they will notify you if you got tickets or not and your card will be charged. Also no tickets can be transferred. If you need to sell them there is a face value ticket exchange they must be put on. Also tickets are much higher priced. £100+

https://paramore.shop.ticketstoday.com/Splash.aspx

The only issue I have with free ballot entries is, people with a passing interest would enter and they might not even be that bothered about the act/event. A ticket day scramble, for all it faults, means you've gotta be there and prepared which puts off anyone who just wants to put their name into a ballet for a laugh.

On 9/10/2022 at 5:51 PM, Suprefan said:

So then lets find every artist that allows it and tell them theyre a massive c*nt. Shouldnt be too hard to do since its almost everyone. Weird Al most recently had specifics for his tour to not have platinum or dynamic pricing activated. So the argument of artists are clueless to this goes right out the window.

You'll probably be surprised to find out that it's the artists (well, their promoter) that sets the prices, and decides whether the dynamic pricing is going to be used. However, I would rarely blame the person on the stage. I went to a gig a while ago in a 1000-cap venue, paid £50 for a ticket and the artist played for just over an hour. I waited afterwards to meet them and told them I was disappointed that I paid that price for such a short set. They were absolutely shocked to find out the price of the ticket.

As for anyone boycotting Ticketmaster, good luck. They own EVERYTHING. It's next to impossible to run a show of any sort in the US without selling through TM. In the UK, it's not much better. Almost every single major venue or event in the UK is operated by TM. You name it, they probably own it.

I wouldn't even be surprised if Glastonbury starts selling tickets through TM within the next 5 years.

1 hour ago, scatteredscreens said:

The only issue I have with free ballot entries is, people with a passing interest would enter and they might not even be that bothered about the act/event. A ticket day scramble, for all it faults, means you've gotta be there and prepared which puts off anyone who just wants to put their name into a ballet for a laugh.

You could argue the same for the dynamic pricing though. The really committed fans will be willing to pay more. Being able to login to a specific webpage during the working day at a specific time is a different sort of privilege but it still confers huge advantages onto middle-class office workers

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

You could argue the same for the dynamic pricing though. The really committed fans will be willing to pay more. Being able to login to a specific webpage during the working day at a specific time is a different sort of privilege but it still confers huge advantages onto middle-class office workers

Yeah I guess so. I really don't think there's a simple, elegant solution to it. Hence why we haven't seen one. Dynamic Pricing definitely ain't it though!

35 minutes ago, Neil said:

springsteen fans are middle-aged-centrists who can afford it.

Bit of a generalisation there Neil. 

I’m a Springsteen fan that’s probably not middle aged any more (60) is definitely left of centre and can’t afford those prices. 

17 minutes ago, tarw said:

Bit of a generalisation there Neil. 

I’m a Springsteen fan that’s probably not middle aged any more (60) is definitely left of centre and can’t afford those prices. 

You'd be more likely to afford them than a eighteen year old. 

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

You'd be more likely to afford them than a eighteen year old. 

Probably not. At the moment I am deciding whether to buy food or petrol to get to work until I am paid on Thursday!

An 18 year old probably has more disposable income than I do

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

Could always do a 15 minute raffle at 9am on a friday morning then you find out at 10am for instance.

Issue with this is people entering heaps of accounts

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

Could always do a 15 minute raffle at 9am on a friday morning then you find out at 10am for instance.

Issue with this is people entering heaps of accounts

Guess you could just limit a ballet entry to a bank card to attempt to reduce loads of amounts. Though touts will have hundreds of bank accounts at the ready I assume.

29 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Guess you could just limit a ballet entry to a bank card to attempt to reduce loads of amounts. Though touts will have hundreds of bank accounts at the ready I assume.

Touts aside, I don't think that's the barrier to entry that it used to be.

With modern banks, anyone can open an account with maybe 5 minutes of effort and an hour or two waiting for verification if they want. They can even get a working card number from the app near enough instantly once the account is active. I've ended up with 3 current accounts without even trying, just because I wanted to take advantage of whatever they were offering at that moment.