Green Man 2023

March Hare

14 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

No Boygenius for GM this year. See twitter replies 

They were replying to a tweet which just said ‘Genius!?!?!?’. Possible they might have thought the question was about Perfume Genius not boygenius?

EDIT: I guess that would be a pretty dumb reply to give if their Twitter admin has seen the full lineup and boygenius are on there, but you never know.

Edited by sjseabass

A legacy electronic act like Orbital would make sense for the greenman demographic so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they played. I doubt they'd have more than one electronic mountain stage headliner though so that rules out a number of other names that have been mentioned for that slot, but as Bicep played the tent then Jamie XX or Bonobo could well still be there. 

I'd really like one of Little Simz or Loyle Carner. Seen both years ago midway down lineups when they didn't have much material out and would love to see either headline now they're more established and have bigger back catalogues. I doubt we'll get both. 

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Interesting they said we tried, potentially a real life manifestation of the argument here and everyone is kind of correct.

Boygenius want (deserve?) Headliner money and that isn't where GM see their profile right now.

6 minutes ago, timeforheroes said:

Interesting they said we tried, potentially a real life manifestation of the argument here and everyone is kind of correct.

Boygenius want (deserve?) Headliner money and that isn't where GM see their profile right now.

My guess is that GM had already booked its headliners by the time Boygenius were an option and then they would have been too expensive for a non-headline act.

1 hour ago, scatteredscreens said:

I don't know much about orbital and appreciate they've been around for ages and they're a legacy act but I checked their tour dates and they're not even selling out some absolutely tiny venues like Rock City in Nottingham. Would be a bit of a small headliner.

They are the sort of band that are brilliant at a festival, but not sure I'd go to their own gigs.   And I like Orbital a lot and have seen them many times over the years!!

2 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Which begs the question of how they and we have ended up in a position where a festival that usually makes its first announcement in January has delayed until 1st March, which also happens to be the day a stylistically GM-friendly act of an anticipatory level that would be able to put an announcement embargo in place are announcing a festival headliner *and* putting pre-sale tickets on sale for their own big gigs the dates of which overlap with Green Man, if it's not to announce that band. It feels a little too thorough to be coincidence.

I've still got a feeling the headliners are going to be disappointing compared to the names some seem to be expecting, especially if "Other Stage" headliner refers to Orbital.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

35 minutes ago, collectivisedfarming said:

I can see they liked a tweet by Shame today. I wonder if they might take a punt on them or Black Midi as a headliner. Both on three albums now, plenty of material. 

i like both artists but don't feel either of them would deliver a set worthy of headline status tbh

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WMWMOfficial said:

I DOUBT IT IN EVERY SINGLE WAY POSSIBLE... but this time schedule just makes me hopeful that maybe JUST MAYBE there's a shot Bon Iver has a soft spot big enough to head to Wales for a weekend during the US Summer tour 😂🤩

I get the feeling there's something as yet unannounced that weekend in the US, the Flaming Lips' new dates have a notable gap around then too.

1 hour ago, collectivisedfarming said:

I can see they liked a tweet by Shame today. I wonder if they might take a punt on them or Black Midi as a headliner. Both on three albums now, plenty of material. 

I had Shame down as topping Far Out but I don't think they'd have either as Mountain headliner.

It's interesting, I don't know how many here also follow the End Of The Road forum but one of the big problems people have with their first announcement is the lack of options for Woods subs/Garden headliners - they have Angel Olsen and Ezra Furman, and then next listed is Arooj Aftab who is acclaimed and Grammy-winning but last year played third from top of the Saturday on Walled Garden. If anything Green Man so far seems to have the opposite problem, between those international acts in Europe and the likeliest British contenders there's no shortage of potential second tier acts but we keep running short of ideas for likely big headliners.

19 minutes ago, mario man said:

I take it you weren’t at the Garden stage last EOTR on the Friday eve then 

That was my immediate thought. Have repeated this too often, but given that having seen that Garden headline set I'm still not sure I actually like them, nevertheless it was one of the most astonishingly brilliant things I have seen in a long time. And WHAT a moshpit!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mario man said:

I take it you weren’t at the Garden stage last EOTR on the Friday eve then 

No but I must have seen them about 5/6 times at this point. They vary from incredible (Fiddlers Bristol 2019) to laughably shit (Primavera 2022). They should be headlining EOTR before GM. 

1 hour ago, riverlodge said:

That was my immediate thought. Have repeated this too often, but given that having seen that Garden headline set I'm still not sure I actually like them, nevertheless it was one of the most astonishingly brilliant things I have seen in a long time. And WHAT a moshpit!

Agreed, I do like them but I took my 19 yr old daughter along who hasn’t been in too many mosh pits. She said, shit music, ace set. 

7 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

I don't know much about orbital and appreciate they've been around for ages and they're a legacy act but I checked their tour dates and they're not even selling out some absolutely tiny venues like Rock City in Nottingham. Would be a bit of a small headliner.

Plenty of Green Man headliners have played venues like Rock City in the past, such as Mogwai which didn't sell out until a few days before.

2 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Hopefully the connection between Boy Genius and poster drop tomorrow is that the 3 of them are playing the festival solo! 

None of them will be doing solo dates one or two days before Boygenius dates start for the same reason Bjork isn't going to be doing a regular show two weeks before Cornucopia.