Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

Just now, kingbadger said:

If anything, the fact See Tickets servers couldn't cope with the amount of people trying at all suggests there was a vast increase in demand compared to 2019's sale for 2020 tickets. 

Or an increase in the number of devices being used … on the sale time I agree that has no relevance to whatever demand might be … that’s set at what they decide it’s going to be plus everything breaking adds to that 

12 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

What are peoples thoughts on how much cost of living impacted initial sale … annecdotal of course and I know some missed out but I feel maybe this initial sale might have been less in demand than previous ? 

As above tickets were still difficult - I got nowhere near the reg page until after 10:30 when it was well after they said sold out and down to the last fumes.

Interesting to see how many tickets get put back in the pot (we won't see that), and demand for the next resale.  Also interesting to see if the line-up is a complete penny-pincher too, that'll affect demand by April too.

I think the main sale can't really be looked at due to the issues and early sell out tweet. Coach is a bit too small to draw conclusions from - i'd say similar demand though

Big group i'm in got all but 6 tickets, big group my colleague is in only got 6 tickets.

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

So nobody priced out for initial sale then despite the above poll showing some of the ultra keen efest members being priced out …. ? If you know you can’t afford it surely some won’t pay initially and waste the admin fee ? 

We got 6 in the coach sale and they are definitely going.  Then we got 6 in the main sale and of those, one said they will decide nearer the time based on their situation and the line up.  I'm one of the 6 in the main sale and I'll 95% be returning mine subject to getting a place with Oxfam - but that's nothing to do with the price of the ticket. 

23 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

What are peoples thoughts on how much cost of living impacted initial sale … annecdotal of course and I know some missed out but I feel maybe this initial sale might have been less in demand than previous ? 

You only thought it was less in demand as you were king of the hill on both sales 😊

In our group on Sunday 112 wanted tickets, plus 19 additional helpers.  18 successful transactions. 

I make that 13.7% succeeded, which given the massive expertise in the group did seem low. 

Mind you on Thursday only 5 succeeded out of 59 attempted. 

NB. All figures strictly back of fag packet by old man with cse1 maths

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think the main sale can't really be looked at due to the issues and early sell out tweet. Coach is a bit too small to draw conclusions from - i'd say similar demand though

Big group i'm in got all but 6 tickets, big group my colleague is in only got 6 tickets.

Yeah that’s fair comment and impacts aren’t clear for many yet I’m sure .. possibly annecdotal as I got mine … guess we see how things play out in April 

Personally, I did pull back a bit from the coach sales this time round, due to the ticket price rise and overall backdrop of the cost of living crisis. At the time I totally neglected the Thurs departure option (have frequently arrived on a Thurs in the past so no weds fomo here) and all of the locations close(ish) to me for both days with Cambridge and Norwich both in touching distance of £90.

I then got nowhere on the Sunday so feel I Ronnie Rosenthal-ed it a bit but given a second chance that'll hopefully come n April, I will happily grab a Thursday coach package or a return from Camb or Not with unheralded joy!

48 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Or an increase in the number of devices being used … on the sale time I agree that has no relevance to whatever demand might be … that’s set at what they decide it’s going to be plus everything breaking adds to that 

Wasn't the issue more that they had to do these new mandatory steps to authenticate online payments - which seemed to make things fall over?  Not sure if they switched that off in the end (I didn't get to a payment page myself).

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

wonder how demand for working tickets will go  and will people take this option where they might normally have gone for a paid ticket 

That’s true, work three shifts, decent campsite, own bars and early entry without having to pay. That might suit quite a few folk. As long as they realise it’s a responsible position. 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That’s true, work three shifts, decent campsite, own bars and early entry without having to pay. That might suit quite a few folk. As long as they realise it’s a responsible position. 

thats the hope and they can fill some of the staffing holes left last time 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That's my concern. I imagine a lot more people are considering the working route as an entry and a proportion of them will not be committed to the work. 

I can imagine the charities will be even more hesitant in taking first timers really wanting to recruit those who have demonstrated commitment before 

15 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

thats the hope and they can fill some of the staffing holes left last time 

For the most part, that won't be connected. Most of the actual holes were with Paid staff - especially security - the ones often working 12 hour shifts for all 5 days of the festival (and probably some before and/or after as well).

Volunteer roles were (generally speaking) oversubscribed as usual - the only issue was the turnover levels - people who'd been doing it for years didn't come back, so there was a lack of experienced in some areas.

15 minutes ago, incident said:

For the most part, that won't be connected. Most of the actual holes were with Paid staff - especially security - the ones often working 12 hour shifts for all 5 days of the festival (and probably some before and/or after as well).

Volunteer roles were (generally speaking) oversubscribed as usual - the only issue was the turnover levels - people who'd been doing it for years didn't come back, so there was a lack of experienced in some areas.

and I would imagine a bit of covid turnover during build up and festival for the ones who were too ill to continue 

I have no intention of going due to the cost however I still tried as only £50 deposit and hope situation changes before full balance. I reckon the deposit scheme means a lot will try for tickets in the main sale even if they are not sure they will be attending as not lost anything. Unless the line up is amazing and/or the economy improves before balance payment is due I reckon there will be a lot more tickets available in the resale than before. 

Personally I think they should offer payment in full or a payment plan to deter people who are not 100% sure and taking tickets away from those that are desperate to go

1 minute ago, Brad75 said:

I have no intention of going due to the cost however I still tried as only £50 deposit and hope situation changes before full balance. I reckon the deposit scheme means a lot will try for tickets in the main sale even if they are not sure they will be attending as not lost anything. Unless the line up is amazing and/or the economy improves before balance payment is due I reckon there will be a lot more tickets available in the resale than before. 

Personally I think they should offer payment in full or a payment plan to deter people who are not 100% sure and taking tickets away from those that are desperate to go

Just to clarify - cost is likely to rule you out, but were willing to hand over 50 quid anyway of which you'd only get half back 6 months later? I understand the concept of buying a ticket as insurance, but if money is tight then that sounds counterproductive.

Just now, Skip997 said:

We were fortunate this years as all the usual experienced team turned up.

Am I right in thinking your crew is mostly going to be festival types?

From what it sounded like, the turnover / inexperience issues were mostly amongst the community type groups - PTAs, local charities, etc - from the local area that handle campsites and venues. They probably have a higher rate of natural turnover to start with, made worse the combination of the pandemic and 3 out of the previous 4 years being fallow, and I assume generally speaking aren't quite as excited about the festival (though there'll be exceptions within that) compared to crews that are built around festival types or even that recruit publicly.

8 minutes ago, incident said:

Am I right in thinking your crew is mostly going to be festival types?

From what it sounded like, the turnover / inexperience issues were mostly amongst the community type groups - PTAs, local charities, etc - from the local area that handle campsites and venues. They probably have a higher rate of natural turnover to start with, made worse the combination of the pandemic and 3 out of the previous 4 years being fallow, and I assume generally speaking aren't quite as excited about the festival (though there'll be exceptions within that) compared to crews that are built around festival types or even that recruit publicly.

Yea everyone an old school festival type, there for the love of the event and festivals in general.

All recruited through word of mouth.

Edited by Skip997

4 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

wonder how demand for working tickets will go  and will people take this option where they might normally have gone for a paid ticket 

Well, I've worked the last two as I haven't been successful in getting tickets.

Managed to bag tickets this time, even though I've got priority status and (more or less)  guaranteed a place next year.

I plan on still doing a few festivals with Oxfam next year, just to maintain the priority status, so, if I am unsuccessful in next year's sale, I'll have that to fall back on.

For me, my first choice would still be to go as a normal punter, with the working option a very close second....