Volunteering 2023

neil93

5 hours ago, March Hare said:

I really enjoyed working Shambala. If you are looking for a second festival it’s a good one. Plus it’s bank holiday so eats less leave 

Yeah definitely one of the better festivals to work at.

I think some of it is that for the most part they plan and execute things properly, whereas I've been to plenty other festivals that in the same situation would cut corners to save a couple quid.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CauliflowerEar said:

Do you often try and initiate conversations with children on the internet mate? As obviously that's rather frowned upon 🤨

So is being a prick but you still do that.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm just resurrecting this thread as I wasn't lucky enough to get tickets for the first time since I started going

I see there's a few links so will check them out

If I have to clean up the long drops to be on that farm, that's a sacrifice I am more than happy to take...

Any tips welcome on how to secure places 🙂

Does anyone know if there's volunteer positions at the other charity shops on site, outside of Oxfam? I've got like 2 years experience working in an RSPCA charity shop and I do 20 hours a week there. It seems Oxfam only allows applications for shop volunteers if you've worked at other festivals with them, which I cannot afford to do. I'd happily do their 3 months in my local shop if that was the only requirement. 

5 hours ago, OrlaGrace said:

Having not landed a ticket in the main or coach sale this year I’m so keen to volunteer next year! Hoping to litterpick but appreciate a reference is needed! Will be keeping an eye on this thread x

9 hours ago, foals98 said:

I'm just resurrecting this thread as I wasn't lucky enough to get tickets for the first time since I started going

I see there's a few links so will check them out

If I have to clean up the long drops to be on that farm, that's a sacrifice I am more than happy to take...

Any tips welcome on how to secure places 🙂

sorry to hear you two were unlucky - I had not a clue it was ticket day - a ticket system I have never used.

try to get a confirmed place before the next resale {spring 2023} as places really get snapped up dead quick

its best to look at previous years Volunteer posts on Efest as there is a lot of links {they may not still be active but its a good starting point} from various organisations large and small - I even recall a post that was posted a few days before Glasto - they were looking for 3 or 4 people and basically the next 3 or 4 people who contacted via direct message would get it so its amazing how useful some of these posts can be.  

I became a Volunteer even before the World Wide Web was invented so there was no web sites where a person could apply for a Volunteer job - it was all 
by speaking to people ' face to face ' and half the problem was knowing who was in charge - #took me 2 years # but I have stayed with them for 34 years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Etchers said:

Does anyone know if there's volunteer positions at the other charity shops on site, outside of Oxfam? I've got like 2 years experience working in an RSPCA charity shop and I do 20 hours a week there. It seems Oxfam only allows applications for shop volunteers if you've worked at other festivals with them, which I cannot afford to do. I'd happily do their 3 months in my local shop if that was the only requirement. 

With Oxfam, you have to have worked at one of their shops for 3 months OR have worked 2 festivals with them before, so the route in to that is basically work in an Oxfam shop for 3 months.

I don’t recall seeing RSPCA at the festival? 

I volunteered last year working the bars for Shelter.  I can wholeheartedly recommend it.  Yeah it's hard work at time (3 x 8 hour shifts during the event) and you WILL miss stuff you might want to see but I had a blast.  Made friends, got fed everyday, hot showers everyday and you get to use the crew only bars!

Edited by Maurice Mecca
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

sorry to hear you two were unlucky - I had not a clue it was ticket day - a ticket system I have never used.

try to get a confirmed place before the next resale {spring 2023} as places really get snapped up dead quick

its best to look at previous years Volunteer posts on Efest as there is a lot of links {they may not still be active but its a good starting point} from various organisations large and small - I even recall a post that was posted a few days before Glasto - they were looking for 3 or 4 people and basically the next 3 or 4 people who contacted via direct message would get it so its amazing how useful some of these posts can be.  

I became a Volunteer even before the World Wide Web was invented so there was no web sites where a person could apply for a Volunteer job - it was all 
by speaking to people ' face to face ' and half the problem was knowing who was in charge - #took me 2 years # but I have stayed with them for 34 years.

Thank you so much - very jealous you've never had to use the horrendous ticket system!! I'm definitely up for volunteering next year, everyone that does it says they wouldn't go back to being a punter so it must be good! I've fired out a few emails last night and this morning so keep your fingers crossed for me 🙂 what is it you volunteer doing? hopefully see you in the fields!! 

8 hours ago, Etchers said:

1 hour ago, stuie said:

With Oxfam, you have to have worked at one of their shops for 3 months OR have worked 2 festivals with them before, so the route in to that is basically work in an Oxfam shop for 3 months.

I don’t recall seeing RSPCA at the festival? 

As @stuie says, but an application doesn't guarantee a place as Glastonbury applications can be oversubscribed. It is however a great way do do other festivals 

Missed out on tickets so interested in volunteering this year. Just have a couple of questions:

1. Me and my partner would want to go and volunteer together. Do they make it possible to select someone to be on the same shift pattern /rota as? Not necessarily doing the exact same jobs together, but just working at the same time so when we are off shift we can hang out together. 

2. Do they in any way ask people what shift times they would prefer, or is it just assigned randomly (or can you swap shifts once assigned)? E.g. Lets say the only artist I want to see is a Friday headliner and someone else wants to see a Saturday headliner, but we get rostered on those nights respectively - can we switch? 

Appreciate this is a case of choosing beggars so I don't have any expectations on the above - just interested how it works. 

Thanks! 

59 minutes ago, OrlaGrace said:

Thank you so much - very jealous you've never had to use the horrendous ticket system!! I'm definitely up for volunteering next year, everyone that does it says they wouldn't go back to being a punter so it must be good! I've fired out a few emails last night and this morning so keep your fingers crossed for me 🙂 what is it you volunteer doing? hopefully see you in the fields!! 

Just to bring a note of caution, it's not for everyone. It is for me, I've been doing it for years and I'm one of the ones that says I wouldn't go back to being a punter, so if it is for you it's great. But some people just don't get on with it. I really don't want to put you off trying it, it's just that sometimes people can be a bit too evangelical about the whole thing. I guess you have to try it to see if it is for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Just to bring a note of caution, it's not for everyone. It is for me, I've been doing it for years and I'm one of the ones that says I wouldn't go back to being a punter, so if it is for you it's great. But some people just don't get on with it. I really don't want to put you off trying it, it's just that sometimes people can be a bit too evangelical about the whole thing. I guess you have to try it to see if it is for you.

Completely understand that! I honestly think I'd love it, and I'm keen to give it my best regardless 🙂 thanks for the warning, appreciate it isn't for everyone - especially things like the Poo Crew!! x

14 minutes ago, castlecaryquery said:

Missed out on tickets so interested in volunteering this year. Just have a couple of questions:

1. Me and my partner would want to go and volunteer together. Do they make it possible to select someone to be on the same shift pattern /rota as? Not necessarily doing the exact same jobs together, but just working at the same time so when we are off shift we can hang out together. 

2. Do they in any way ask people what shift times they would prefer, or is it just assigned randomly (or can you swap shifts once assigned)? E.g. Lets say the only artist I want to see is a Friday headliner and someone else wants to see a Saturday headliner, but we get rostered on those nights respectively - can we switch? 

Appreciate this is a case of choosing beggars so I don't have any expectations on the above - just interested how it works. 

Thanks! 

From a recycling crew perspective where I've volunteered 

1) Yes you can ask to work with others as part of your application.  Just make sure the others do the same and also do the same priority order of what shifts/roles you want.

2) I've never heard of people swapping on recycling crew at the actual festival but as you know what shifts you are doing well ahead of the festival not sure whether you could ask beforehand. That said recycling crew shifts (with the exception of ones that started this year and by all accounts were tricky to fill) don't clash with headliners.  There is the option of after festival shifts (Monday to Thursday) if you can afford the time off.

Though worth saying that getting a new spot on the recycling crew is tricky as so many people return year after year and any new spots are based on recommendation from existing crew.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OrlaGrace said:

Completely understand that! I honestly think I'd love it, and I'm keen to give it my best regardless 🙂 thanks for the warning, appreciate it isn't for everyone - especially things like the Poo Crew!! x

I mean attitude is a big part of it so that's an excellent start. It generally is people who start off negatively about it all that struggle the most. Don't get me wrong, we've all had a good moan about it at some point, 4 in the morning or when you are missing someone you really want to see. We are (mostly) British after all so there's nothing better than a good shared moan about something!

Any questions about stewarding through Oxfam, ask away.

9 hours ago, Etchers said:

I should also add that you do more shifts with the Oxfam shop than with stewards - normally turn up Sunday, Mon & Tues stocking shops (there's 4 of them), Wed - Sun 1 shift a day (usually 6 hours) and then loading unsold stock back onto the vans on Mon.

33 minutes ago, castlecaryquery said:

Thanks! 

For Oxfam you can ask to work at the same time. You may not be working in the same place (although just two of you are more likely than a bigger group) but you should be at the same time. I say should because we had a bit of a fuck up this year. Of our group of 6, 2 were on a different shift pattern. Very annoying but think it was a mistake rather than a case of 'tough, it's not guaranteed' if you see what I mean. I've never heard of it happening to anyone else before so think we were just unlucky.

Your shifts are pre-assigned but you can swap. For Oxfam at Glasto you have to find someone to swap with and then confirm it with the team. And you have to swap all 3 shifts. 

34 minutes ago, castlecaryquery said:

Thanks! 

For Oxfam 

1. Yes, you can put shift partners down (up to 6) it guarantees you get the same shift pattern, but not necessarily the same location. In practice I've always been in the same location for the non Glastonbury festivals I've done. I think it's only if you're group was up to 6 that you might get split up. Glastonbury gate shift staff numbers are huge so I think it's unlikely you'd be at opposite ends of the site. 

2. Randomly assigned, you find out what it is when you arrive. There is a shift swap board where you can swap all three shifts to another pattern. For 80% it's one shift done on the Wednesday then two more Thursday -Sunday including an overnight. 

Also just to say not to worry as there are plenty of volunteer opportunities for people that want to go and put the time in! You just need to be flexible and be able to commit upto the last minute.

Had a friend last year that managed to get in on SE corner stewarding. It's offered firstly only to local organisations but they still had a load of places after the resale so broadened it out and he managed to get one 3 weeks out. 

• Like 2