How would you do Glastonbury differently next time?

kalifire

12 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

same, same, same 👍

Stop it with the Amyl love. I chose Diana Ross over them. (things I would do differently...) Luckily they have a gig in my neck of the woods in November.

I thought of something I'd do different next time: Take less clothing unless 5 days of rain are forecast (It won't). I had two T shirts per day, which obviously wasn't necessary and it's not like I would go back to the tent to change anyway. 

On 7/11/2022 at 2:14 PM, gooner1990 said:

Funny you should mention that, as my return See tickets coach this year was 5.30am on the Monday to Oxford.....our coach got called and there was a guy with a mini iPad thing and he was checking everyone's names off a list to make sure they were booked on that specific coach. You couldn't  board the coach without getting past him first and they were refusing people who were booked on later coaches.

Perhaps the days of just letting anyone on any coach are over....

They must get more relaxed later on in the day. In 2019 and this year, we got the Seecoach from Stoke and returned on the Liverpool coach. Neither times were we asked for tickets. There were 5 Liverpool coaches departing at the same time, 1pm, and the coach we were on was only a third full.

Edited by Kneale

On 7/11/2022 at 2:14 PM, gooner1990 said:

my return See tickets coach this year was 5.30am on the Monday to Oxford

Bit of a mad rush to get from the last act in the SE corner in time. Guess you must have packed already, where did you stash your camping gear?

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Bit of a mad rush to get from the last act in the SE corner in time. Guess you must have packed already, where did you stash your camping gear?

We packed our stuff up during the day on the Sunday....about 5pm we took it to the lock ups by PGA but they were full so we opened one of my friends pop up tents, pitched up and threw all our stuff in there.

Watched Bicep, then went to the Glade, then went to Arcadia until it finished at 2.30am, then went to Stonebridge and sat drinking, sniffing and smoking weed till just after 4am, walked over to PGA, got our stuff out of the tent, took the tent down then walked round at 5am to the coach park, got on, left 5.30am, Oxford by 7.45am, got a cab home and was through my door by 8.15am and had a shower, some breakfast and then went to bed at 9am.

🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moogster said:

Stop it with the Amyl love. I chose Diana Ross over them. (things I would do differently...) Luckily they have a gig in my neck of the woods in November.

I thought of something I'd do different next time: Take less clothing unless 5 days of rain are forecast (It won't). I had two T shirts per day, which obviously wasn't necessary and it's not like I would go back to the tent to change anyway. 

I did a week camping on 4 duds, 4 pairs of socks and 3 t shirts. It was fine. Wet wipe the nethers in the morning and crack on

2 hours ago, moogster said:

I watched all of Diana Ross and enjoyed it very much, then strolled over and watched Amy, only missed the first 15 minutes (we ensured we were towards JP). Even got to see her later in the day still wandering the site in her magnificent gold outfit. 

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I watched all of Diana Ross and enjoyed it very much, then strolled over and watched Amy, only missed the first 15 minutes (we ensured we were towards JP). Even got to see her later in the day still wandering the site in her magnificent gold outfit. 

Were you on the right hand side of pyramid by be the green fence, that's where I was and we left Diana Ross early to watch amyl, was easy to exit field on that side once I got around the families who'd blocked the walkway with 3 double buggys 🤣🤣🤣 they caused chaos at the start because they just stopped in the walkway and used they're kids as a barrier to put blankets down

Edited by gazzared

1 minute ago, gazzared said:

Were you on the right hand side of pyramid by be the green fence, that's where I was and we left Diana Ross early to watch amyl, was easy to exit field on that side once I got around the families who'd blocked the walkway with 3 double buggys 🤣🤣🤣 the caused chaos at the star because they just stopped in the walkway and used they're kids as a barrier to put blankets down

I wasn't quite that far over.  I was using those kids for human shields when she was on 🙂

I don't form blockages by the walkway though - I'm a git but not that much. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

2005 we left Oxford on the Wednesday at midday, got in and pitched up in BG by about 3-4pm and virtually had the pick of the field...oh how times have changed. 🙂 

Quite. In the mid- 90's we had about 5-6 of us in a big old tent b4 Tues night / Wed gates opening became a thing and arrived Thurs midday in BG and space everywhere...

27 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Quite. In the mid- 90's we had about 5-6 of us in a big old tent b4 Tues night / Wed gates opening became a thing and arrived Thurs midday in BG and space everywhere...

It’s one of my pet hates about ‘modern Glastonbury’ tbh, i would quite happily arrive thurs afternoon but I now feel like I will have missed out on too much (FOMO)

21 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Been thinking about this a bit more - I'd put in more effort to get in closer to stages, or into the pit.

I was listening to Wet Leg earlier and was transported back to The Park, but did have a nagging feeling I might have had even more fun if I'd been closer. My best gig was probably IDLES, where I was in the thick of it. I genuinely reckon I'd only have enjoyed it half as much if I'd stayed by the sound desk. 

This year was a weird one for me, in that respect. Coming off the back of a very isolated 18 months in Melbourne thanks to Covid, the idea of being in amongst densely packed crowds was quite confronting, so for the majority of sets I kept back a bit.

But I had the same nagging feelings that you did, that I was missing out a bit and certainly wasn't surrounded by the excitement I could see further towards the stage.

I was front and central for Wet Leg and Confidence Man, which I knew would be a weekend highlight, but I was quite far back for Kendrick and others. I don't regret the calls I made - I survived without getting Covid, and that must have been a major contributing factor. But next year, as well as making sure my timing in arriving at stages takes into account likely crowds volumes, I'll definitely look to get stuck in more.

13 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Yes its got quite competitive hasn't it - as you say, FOMO, with social media fanning the flames..

I think 2010 was the first time I was at the gates before opening (only by an hour or so) so I could get in and pitched up before the England game in the World Cup and ever since then its become earlier and earlier...

15 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Yes its got quite competitive hasn't it - as you say, FOMO, with social media fanning the flames..

I think this is one of the problems with secret sets and legend slots etc. So many people turn up not because they love the artist but because they worry they'll miss a Glastonbury moment that they'll want to say they were there for. 

I think we need to help people more understand JOMO. Going somewhere quieter to watch something you really love and you can actually end up having more special moments. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think this is one of the problems with secret sets and legend slots etc. So many people turn up not because they love the artist but because they worry they'll miss a Glastonbury moment that they'll want to say they were there for. 

I think we need to help people more understand JOMO. Going somewhere quieter to watch something you really love and you can actually end up having more special moments. 

It's worse than that. Too many people turn up for the festival because they think they should, for too many it's become a must do along the lines of Wimbledon and Last Night of the Proms.

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I am starting to hate the term - A Glastonbury Moment. 

I know they happen and all, but they happen at every festival.

Seems like people are trying to chase it.

And as Noel says in the 50th TV programme the BBC seem to mention it all the time. 

Kind of always wanted to shout while in the Longdrops that I am having my Glastonbury moment

Edited by fred quimby
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's worse than that. Too many people turn up for the festival because they think they should, for too many it's become a must do along the lines of Wimbledon and Last Night of the Proms.

I can understand that though, and see why people would. Met people who have done that and then come back every year since as they see the magic that us there

19 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I was probably guilty of turning up first time thinking it would be a bucket list item. One and done but I utterly fell in love with the place and it changed my life and my outlook on life and music so I don't think we'll ever stop that. 

15 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I am starting to hate the term - A Glastonbury Moment. 

I know they happen and all, but they happen at every festival.

Seems like people are trying to chase it.

And as Noel says in the 50th TV programme the BBC seem to mention it all the time. 

Kind of always wanted to shout while in the Longcross that I am having my Glastonbury moment

Yep that's the problem people turning up expecting a moment will rarely get a moment either. Moments happen when people invest in what they are seeing. It's rare to get moments at the big things (and yes when it does happen it is magical) but you are more likely to get those magical moments in a smaller more intimate setting. Probably my biggest learn from this year is unless I utterly adore something avoid the hype acts. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I was probably guilty of turning up first time thinking it would be a bucket list item. One and done but I utterly fell in love with the place and it changed my life and my outlook on life and music so I don't think we'll ever stop that. 

Yep that's the problem people turning up expecting a moment will rarely get a moment either. Moments happen when people invest in what they are seeing. It's rare to get moments at the big things (and yes when it does happen it is magical) but you are more likely to get those magical moments in a smaller more intimate setting. Probably my biggest learn from this year is unless I utterly adore something avoid the hype acts. 

Yeah agree, I went to the legend slot which I don't usually do but thought I 'should', and the weather and crowd made it good but in hindsight I'd rather have skipped it and and been closer to the stage for Fontaines or Amyl. 

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So what - in your opinion - is the correct reason for going?

Watch acts you want to see/like.

Watch acts you haven't seen/heard but are interested in from the write up/odd tune you may have seen.

Catch up with old friends, I have many that I only ever see a Glastonbury.

Have a party.

This is the tricky one to explain and maybe justify - keep the original ethos and vibe of the festival going. It's slowly being eroded year on year. I arrived on the Saturday before the event, when I asked what my shifts are, the response was "you haven't got any, we just want you around for your experience and knowledge of the festival".

Have fun.