Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in December. Trying to get it into remission

Thought it might be that but didn’t want to assume. 

You’ve pretty much nailed it in terms of getting lots of fibre through veggies and going high protein, whilst portion controlling the carbs. 

So many decent options available there so you should be good for main meals. 

If you have a cooler/ice box then protein yoghurts/pouches are a great on the go snack. 

Huel is over priced shite. 

(I’m a nutritionist, just in case you wondered why a random chap on the internet is handing out advice!). 

• Like 2

Does anyone in this thread have any experience on managing back injuries at Glasto? Generally very fit and active (marathoner, half-Ironman type level) but this is new territory for me… 

Tore one of the L4/L5 (two lowest vertebrae) spinal support muscles in early May and currently going through physio. Should be just about OK by mid June but have to admit I’m bricking it at the prospect of it flaring again during the festival! 

I know late nights are probably out for me. Considering a fold up chair incase of times where it’s tough to find a sit down. 

Anyone…? 

17 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Thought it might be that but didn’t want to assume. 

You’ve pretty much nailed it in terms of getting lots of fibre through veggies and going high protein, whilst portion controlling the carbs. 

So many decent options available there so you should be good for main meals. 

If you have a cooler/ice box then protein yoghurts/pouches are a great on the go snack. 

Huel is over priced shite. 

(I’m a nutritionist, just in case you wondered why a random chap on the internet is handing out advice!). 

With apologies to regulars in this thread for repeating myself but I've also lost 5 stone since diagnosis so hopefully my next round of tests show I'm under the diabetes threshold (although with Metformin so won't count as in remission)

I've looked at the high protein yogurts too but a lot seem to have loads of sugar. Just a case of finding the right brand.

(Advise away by the way, all appreciated)

16 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Been thinking about food options for the festival what with sugar being a no no and wanting to limit potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc. Now I ain't going to be perfect but I've been really good since I started this so I want to keep being mostly good. Essentially it's too soon to dabble without going back to bad habits. I know how I work.

So nuts, seeds, fruit, protein bars for snacks. Eggs, halloumi, other high protein stuff when I'm cooking myself. Don't worry there'll be plenty of fibre in there two!

I also thought Huel could be a good back up. I figured with all the fitness nuts in here someone would have a referral code to share. DM me if you have.

Any other ideas appreciated too.

Thanks.

Shakshouka could be a good low carb breakfast option (eggs/tomatoes). Think there are a couple of places on site doing it.

Come to think of it, middle eastern in general might be a good way to go. Swerve the pita bread and couscous, but falafel, hummus, ful medames should be high protein/low carb.

No idea on the huel, I've always just assumed it's a portmanteau of horrible gruel, doesn't sound appealing to me.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Shakshouka could be a good low carb breakfast option (eggs/tomatoes). Think there are a couple of places on site doing it.

Come to think of it, middle eastern in general might be a good way to go. Swerve the pita bread and couscous, but falafel, hummus, ful medames should be high protein/low carb.

No idea on the huel, I've always just assumed it's a portmanteau of horrible gruel, doesn't sound appealing to me.

Ooh, never seen anyone doing Ful but that's an excellent shout if I see it. You're right, middle eastern is quite good. Even kebabs if you leave the pitta out and load up on the veg.

Yeah, I have to admit, I was always a Huel sceptic but a friend swears by (not at) it. 

15 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Ooh, never seen anyone doing Ful but that's an excellent shout if I see it. You're right, middle eastern is quite good. Even kebabs if you leave the pitta out and load up on the veg.

Yeah, I have to admit, I was always a Huel sceptic but a friend swears by (not at) it. 

Amazing the difference between type 1 and type 2 . As a type 1 I can eat anything ( very often misunderstood) but need to inject to bring sugars down from whatever carbs I eat . Obviously need to be sensible in terms of weight like everyone . 

23 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Amazing the difference between type 1 and type 2 . As a type 1 I can eat anything ( very often misunderstood) but need to inject to bring sugars down from whatever carbs I eat . Obviously need to be sensible in terms of weight like everyone . 

With my limited understanding they are pretty much two different things rather than two versions of the same thing. I remember reading something a while back about how the names should probably be changed.

Once I'm in remission I'll be able to be a bit less strict. Not too much though. My diet now is so much healthier than it was obviously and that's not a bad thing anyway but the occasional treat won't kill me. The important thing is it stays occasional.

After nearly two weeks the gout seems to be slowly calming down....today is the first day I can walk easily since the attack happened on 10th May....still getting the odd twinge here and there this morning but nothing that's impacting how I walk.

Just pray it doesn't flare up again on the farm!

7 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

After nearly two weeks the gout seems to be slowly calming down....today is the first day I can walk easily since the attack happened on 10th May....still getting the odd twinge here and there this morning but nothing that's impacting how I walk.

Ahh this sounds tough! Fingers crossed for you. 

On 5/20/2023 at 11:03 AM, dmedxb said:

Does anyone in this thread have any experience on managing back injuries at Glasto? Generally very fit and active (marathoner, half-Ironman type level) but this is new territory for me… 

Tore one of the L4/L5 (two lowest vertebrae) spinal support muscles in early May and currently going through physio. Should be just about OK by mid June but have to admit I’m bricking it at the prospect of it flaring again during the festival! 

I know late nights are probably out for me. Considering a fold up chair incase of times where it’s tough to find a sit down. 

Anyone…? 

I always thought that sitting in a chair actually strained your lower back, rather than helped it.  I work with a guy who has lower back "problems" (don't know the specific detail) but he has a standing desk at work and pretty much only ever sits down when driving.  When his is bad, he also wears an elasticated support.  That's as much advice as I can give I'm afraid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

Ahh this sounds tough! Fingers crossed for you. 

yes frustrating, especially since I was doing well at the gym (1 stone off) in anticipation for Glastonbury and my wedding in august.

now not exercised in the gym for nearly 3 weeks so virtually got to start again now!

On 5/19/2023 at 8:00 PM, philipsteak said:

Been thinking about food options for the festival what with sugar being a no no and wanting to limit potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc. Now I ain't going to be perfect but I've been really good since I started this so I want to keep being mostly good. Essentially it's too soon to dabble without going back to bad habits. I know how I work.

So nuts, seeds, fruit, protein bars for snacks. Eggs, halloumi, other high protein stuff when I'm cooking myself. Don't worry there'll be plenty of fibre in there two!

I also thought Huel could be a good back up. I figured with all the fitness nuts in here someone would have a referral code to share. DM me if you have.

Any other ideas appreciated too.

Thanks.

Here ya go. 

Salted caramel is best I’ve tried. They are better if you refrigerate for 10mins+ but obviously not an option at festival. Still palatable though. 
I’m mostly vegetarian and I was getting very tired, usually in afternoon, and wondered if it was not enough protein. Anyway, the huel black has really helped for that and it’s helped me when I’m low on time and I don’t want to make food/buy some crappy meal deal. 

https://t.mention-me.email/lnk/AVgAAAd-N1oAAconMQ4AALvAkXIAAO87QCkAAAAAAAEZ0gBjtXNndNS80ulISbGLKaFEdcD4sQABD9s/1/38vy3tUpacGM6JCK8cpacg/aHR0cHM6Ly9odWVsLm1lbnRpb24tbWUuY29tL20vZmUvbGEyYmQtNzkzNzM2MjJiMD91dG1fY2FtcGFpZ249cmVmZXJyZXItZm9yd2FyZC1lbWFpbCZ1dG1fbWVkaXVtPW5vbm9mZmVyc3BlY2lmaWMmdXRtX3NvdXJjZT1odWVsJnV0bV9jb250ZW50PWN0YSZ1dG1fdGVybT1ub251c2Vyc3BlY2lmaWM

On 5/20/2023 at 11:03 AM, dmedxb said:

Anyone…? 

Have you considered a shooting stick?  I don't have back problems, but my feet often ache by day 3, despite using good quality shoes - I am total roamer, and will often be on an Acoustic -> Park -> John Peel type mission to see three bands that run back to back.   The problem with chairs is that they become heavy and cumbersome to carry all day if you like to get about the site.  These are expensive but seem a great idea for someone with back problems

https://www.stickandcaneshop.co.uk/packaway-adjustable-folding-seat-stick-bag

They do non-folding ones for half the price, but this strikes me as convenient.

I'm taking one of these this year, my mate had one last time and it was brilliant - portable in a backpack but great when you need to park yourself for a while. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FIEMACH-Telescopic-Generation-Lightweight-Gardening/dp/B08C9RY9GJ 

What was supposed to be a 5k walk to watch the sunset on the beach last night turned into just short of 12k.

Needless to say, I slept well last night, though was not happy that my lower back was starting to ache during the walk.  Guess I need to do more stretches and back exercises over the next few weeks!

When I did the London marathon back in 2021 I pretty much swore that I'd never run anything over 10k again.  Then had a slight change of heart, so yesterday I dragged my fat arse around the Hackney Half marathon.  Really enjoyable run, very well organised, and the crowds of supporters really good also.  I can fully recommend it for runners that haven't tried it.  I was my usual slow self, but got round, and then headed off to enjoy some excellent craft beers in Hackney as my reward.  Think on that basis I'm where I need to be for arriving on site 4 weeks today!

On 5/20/2023 at 1:03 PM, dmedxb said:

Anyone…? 

Come along to the Kokopelli Massage stall for a daily treatment - it's just down on the right hand side from the red tea bus 🙂 Or just come on over for a chill on a comfy seat. One of us is a yoga teacher, so can do stretches too. Tho there are numerous choices in the healing fields of course 🙂

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PattieB said:

Come along to the Kokopelli Massage stall for a daily treatment - it's just down on the right hand side from the red tea bus 🙂 Or just come on over for a chill on a comfy seat. One of us is a yoga teacher, so can do stretches too. Tho there are numerous choices in the healing fields of course 🙂

My back's fine, but I might take you up on that anyway!

59 minutes ago, PattieB said:

Thank you for this, it's incredibly kind of you to mention! My physio has given me a really good stretching regimen but I would always be grateful for extra insight. 

2 hours ago, LowerMead said:

Have you considered a shooting stick?  I don't have back problems, but my feet often ache by day 3, despite using good quality shoes - I am total roamer, and will often be on an Acoustic -> Park -> John Peel type mission to see three bands that run back to back.   The problem with chairs is that they become heavy and cumbersome to carry all day if you like to get about the site.  These are expensive but seem a great idea for someone with back problems

https://www.stickandcaneshop.co.uk/packaway-adjustable-folding-seat-stick-bag

They do non-folding ones for half the price, but this strikes me as convenient.

I'm taking one of these this year, my mate had one last time and it was brilliant - portable in a backpack but great when you need to park yourself for a while. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FIEMACH-Telescopic-Generation-Lightweight-Gardening/dp/B08C9RY9GJ 

A shooting stick, thats what its called! Its what I had in my head but wasn't explaining too well in my original post. Really appreciate the links here, thank you so much. 

11 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I feel for you. I had gout a couple of years ago. Take daily meds now and haven’t had it since. Seafood (shellfish) and not drinking enough water seemed to trigger if for me. Never had it at Glastonbury but if you get that warning tingle an attack is on the way drink loads of water. My Doc gave me indometacin tablets as well when I had flare ups and they would help quickly, or even prevent it getting bad if taken early enough.

On 5/20/2023 at 11:17 AM, philipsteak said:

With apologies to regulars in this thread for repeating myself but I've also lost 5 stone since diagnosis so hopefully my next round of tests show I'm under the diabetes threshold (although with Metformin so won't count as in remission)

I've looked at the high protein yogurts too but a lot seem to have loads of sugar. Just a case of finding the right brand.

(Advise away by the way, all appreciated)

Not sure on protein but Fage yogurt for low sugar

51 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Upping my game in a last attempt to get back into my little festival numbers 🤪

Not a bad streak.... anyone else on Myzone to keep each other accountable?! Screenshot_20230523_193923_Myzone.thumb.jpg.aff266eabfdfa23a52b356fb29886bb3.jpg

Luckily had a party i needed to get in shape for in April, which gave me the motivation -  just need to maintain it now!

(already excercise a lot so was mostly achieved through eating less ice cream and chocolate, and drinking less booze)

Hit a plateau on the weight loss.  Lost 1st 5lb in 6 weeks but only lost afurther 1lb in the last 2, despite exercising like a MF.  Hiked a total of 28 miles and biked 26 this week alone.  Feel slimmer so maybe it's muscle mass, but feel a bit crestfallen.  Need to drop another 4 lbs in the 3 weeks to G and I've hit my target so going to be strict on the diet/booze between now and then.  Fingers crossed.

16 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Hit a plateau on the weight loss.  Lost 1st 5lb in 6 weeks but only lost afurther 1lb in the last 2, despite exercising like a MF.  Hiked a total of 28 miles and biked 26 this week alone.  Feel slimmer so maybe it's muscle mass, but feel a bit crestfallen.  Need to drop another 4 lbs in the 3 weeks to G and I've hit my target so going to be strict on the diet/booze between now and then.  Fingers crossed.

It more than likely is.

Remember, you lose weight in the kitchen not in the gym. Exercise is obviously very important too but it's impact on weight loss is minimal compared to just, well, existing. Plus it always slows down towards the end when you've got less to lose. Initially my weight was dropping off me (but I had way more to lose) to the extent some people were worried, but at the end it took a good while to get those last few pounds off. Which tbh weren't really necessary. I just like round numbers.

Just sorted out the last (bar one jumper, but big oversized jumpers are awesome for winter and this one is really cozy) of my fat clothes. I'd held on to some that weren't quite as big just so I had something to wear before buying new stuff but realised they are now basically unwearable. So off to the Oxfam shop on Tuesday with them. Some smoothly l annoyingly decent stuff in there and I did think of trying to sell some things but just can't be bothered. I don't want them sitting around in the wardrobe any longer so just getting rid is easier. And helps Oxfam too. And it gives a bit more choice to the larger chaps of Ambleside.