Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

6 hours ago, rummy said:

Rock Werchter has been going a bit middle aged man for a while now. Their choice to go for that demographic whilst other festivals have diversified musically and otherwise I suppose.

Probably a chance that there will be a female headliner, second liner etc. but I agree it is noticeable that other recent festivals have had acts like Cardi B, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish, Adele, Megan Thee Stallion etc. Whilst Werchter bring out Pearl Jam, Editors, Kings of Leon, RHCP for the 10th time, some of whom peaked in popularity over 30 years ago now, but will be defended on here as the biggest bands.

You just gave a list of pop artists and then compared it to a list of rock bands. Whys it so surprising the latter would be booked for Rock Werchter over the former? You'd think there was only one festival in the world. 

• Upvote 1

Weird discussion here... 
What is middle aged man? Probably that's me (37yo) and I'm not sure what to make of this line up. 
Overall I'm starting to get worried that Puscifer won't announce anything decent and will waste their EU leg with such horrible bookings.

In regards of the middle aged people and this line up. (I presume most people here are in their 20s)
RHCP are garbage in 202x and you're telling me they played this year as well? That's not good. Everyone above 30 have seen them and knows this. 1st time = kinda interesting, second time = not at all, 3rd time = there is no 3rd time
Muse used to be a superb live act till around 2015ish... The middle aged men have seen them in their prime. What Muse are doing now is a bit offensive to people like me. QOTSA cool, AM yeah fine - I'll have some fun. This year PKP and especially Reading were good shows. Editors cool, Sigur Ros - great, Black keys... these guys still making music??? fine whatever.
The very very strange bookings for the middle aged men are Amenra, Wardruna... Puscifer. 

Last time I went to RW was in 2015 and I swore that I'll never go again because the festival is crap. I'm sure it still is. Did they fix "The Barn" stage cuz I doubt it... BUT in the same time I'm one Deafheaven away from buying a ticket, hahaha

4 hours ago, Ohad said:

Noticed we're lacking rap names (not a MGK fan, i guess). I know it's never a big portion, but I'd hope for something more names.

Is Andersons NxWorries an option? They're doing Primavera 

Only Slowthai so far... Hoping for Denzel Curry. Would be a veeeeery small saving grace for losing RATM. And Little Simz of course, who is releasing a new album on monday. 

Edited by lighthouse

7 hours ago, Aech2ElectricBoogaloo said:

Looking at that poster I reckon Wet Leg are going to get quite a high spot in the barn. 

I think this poster is en earlier version, because as far as I can see Wet Legs are playing with Harry Styles on his Werchter show on the 24th. Surely they won't play twice in a week? In that case they go Werchter - Dusseldorf - Werchter in 5 days...  You never know, but seems a bit strange. 

56 minutes ago, tmolvik said:

I think this poster is en earlier version, because as far as I can see Wet Legs are playing with Harry Styles on his Werchter show on the 24th. Surely they won't play twice in a week? In that case they go Werchter - Dusseldorf - Werchter in 5 days...  You never know, but seems a bit strange. 

Bands playing on the main Werchter event and a side event the same year has happened before, so it's possible. 

7 minutes ago, Mondo-kun said:

Blur at Lokerse Feesten, so seems no Werchter for them.

Gutted; but at least we have our answer now. Very interested to see what happens with the Thursday now.

@Ken19 I don’t suppose you could reveal how/why they chose not to go for Blur? Feels like a very big miss

32 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Gutted; but at least we have our answer now. Very interested to see what happens with the Thursday now.

@Ken19 I don’t suppose you could reveal how/why they chose not to go for Blur? Feels like a very big miss

According to a trustworthy person on Festileaks: Blur only made themselves available for European festivals rather late, at a moment RW and PKP had their headliners already locked in. Similar story to Kendrick in 2021.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, r55N said:

Weird discussion here... 
What is middle aged man? Probably that's me (37yo) and I'm not sure what to make of this line up. 
Overall I'm starting to get worried that Puscifer won't announce anything decent and will waste their EU leg with such horrible bookings.

In regards of the middle aged people and this line up. (I presume most people here are in their 20s)
RHCP are garbage in 202x and you're telling me they played this year as well? That's not good. Everyone above 30 have seen them and knows this. 1st time = kinda interesting, second time = not at all, 3rd time = there is no 3rd time
Muse used to be a superb live act till around 2015ish... The middle aged men have seen them in their prime. What Muse are doing now is a bit offensive to people like me. QOTSA cool, AM yeah fine - I'll have some fun. This year PKP and especially Reading were good shows. Editors cool, Sigur Ros - great, Black keys... these guys still making music??? fine whatever.
The very very strange bookings for the middle aged men are Amenra, Wardruna... Puscifer. 

Last time I went to RW was in 2015 and I swore that I'll never go again because the festival is crap. I'm sure it still is. Did they fix "The Barn" stage cuz I doubt it... BUT in the same time I'm one Deafheaven away from buying a ticket, hahaha

You're not middle aged. 

29 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

According to a trustworthy person on Festileaks: Blur only made themselves available for European festivals rather late, at a moment RW and PKP had their headliners already locked in. Similar story to Kendrick in 2021.

Don’t know if I fully buy that as I’m sure Blur already had dates announced when Ken popped up mentioning the possibility of Foos. Instead Blur end up playing a festival with 15k capacity, I’m sure the Barn holds 20k; they could have just put them in there!

Feel a bit defeated this morning, very let down. We were all set to buy tickets next week as no other festival comes close to my tastes; but I can only afford one festival abroad these days so we’re going to wait now and see how the land lies and other things take shape 

Edited by 49Lawson

4 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Don’t know if I fully buy that as I’m sure Blur already had dates announced when Ken popped up mentioning the possibility of Foos. Instead Blur end up playing a festival with 15k capacity. Wild.

Feel a bit defeated this morning, very let down. We were all set to buy tickets next week as no other festival comes close to my tastes; but I can only afford one festival abroad these days so we’re going to wait now and see how the land lies and other things take shape 

I also feel let down by the non-show of Blur. I am not too impressed with the line up of any festival so far so I will probably just wait with buying tickets until more line ups have been revealed. 

I guess I will also buy a one day ticket to Way Out West (where Blur is playing). 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Don’t know if I fully buy that as I’m sure Blur already had dates announced when Ken popped up mentioning the possibility of Foos. Instead Blur end up playing a festival with 15k capacity, I’m sure the Barn holds 20k; they could have just put them in there!

When Ken mentioned Foos, he also said it was an older rumour. So his post doesn't necessarily imply that RW was still on the lookout for a headliner. And surely you don't believe Blur would agree with playing a side stage? 

8 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

And surely you don't believe Blur would agree with playing a side stage? 

Of course I don’t; it was more a comment on I can’t believe a band like Blur are playing a festival so small.

The annoying thing is that based on all the backlash and the comments, if Blur are still on tour next year they’ll be booked up now for then; but it’ll be a bit too little too late 

Edited by 49Lawson

With the big batch of names and them actually putting a poster out, are we expecting that to be it until after the New Year now? If it isn't Blur, perhaps that then suggests the other two missing headliners haven't announced dates for next year yet, would seem strange holding off another month announcing someone who's already playing 5-6 fests next Summer.

Seem to remember one of the years I went they did Friday announcements of around 10 acts for 5-6 weeks in a row, but pretty sure that was Jan/Feb time.