The 1975

NorthernSoul52

6 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Gig was great tonight, but can't help but feel a tiny bit cheated that we got absolutely no one! 

That was always going to be the problem when you have a big guest at one show and not the other. I thought they might have bought some one out but then they would have suffered with being compared to Taylor.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Dales said:

That was always going to be the problem when you have a big guest at one show and not the other. I thought they might have bought some one out but then they would have suffered with being compared to Taylor.

Yeh I think guests should really be reserved for the last night of the tour or it makes everyone at the following nights expect to see someone huge turn up and then feel a bit short changed 

8 hours ago, pops1998 said:

Harry Styles was asked and apparently he declined lol

Harry would never come out on some other bloke's show, let alone one that upstages him as completely as Matty Healy. Odd Matty wouldn't've figured that out before extending his hand.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Yeh I think guests should really be reserved for the last night of the tour or it makes everyone at the following nights expect to see someone huge turn up and then feel a bit short changed 

Take your point entirely but wasn’t it the first date of the UK tour? Huge way to start it off.

I’m not sure who the last gig of the UK leg of the tour is but I reckon they  might have a fair chance of a special guest.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Take your point entirely but wasn’t it the first date of the UK tour? Huge way to start it off.

I’m not sure who the last gig of the UK leg of the tour is but I reckon they  might have a fair chance of a special guest.

No, they’ve done Bournemouth, Brighton and Exeter so far. I get why it’s the O2 that had the guest though, the biggest show on tours often do.

12 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

I’d be happy with that - last date of tour is Belfast and I’ll be there.  Not gonna happen though as its hard enough to get big acts to come over for shows never mind guests!

Edited by circus92

20 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Special guests are often quite last minute (not saying this was), but its better to get them while you can than not bother at all i think.

Apologies if this is bollocks but thought would give it a go……

Not sure where to put this - however by adding 2 and 2 together and getting to 27, the answer might actually be the 1975. SJM, the promoter has applied for a licence to run a 25k open air festival, 2 nights in July 2023, apparently. In Wilmslow. Now this is absolutely unprecedented in the town and locality, and especially this site. However the application has been made and someone copied a bit of the submission before the public comments ended. This all went under the radar. So it seems to be a kosher application. Why 1975 you ask, well they went to school and their families live in or near Wilmslow. (Doves are the other local band, and Peter Hook lives near by). Why would anyone else want to put on/play at a festival so close to Manchester with all the other sites available? It makes no sense. 

So does anyone know ( @incident ?) who is on SJM’s roster and may be lined up.

image.thumb.jpeg.2a82a4d8da527d22da85d162ecfe3612.jpeg

image.jpeg.75d33bbb5136ac12682286fecb938bc5.jpeg

Edited by chuckles07

1 hour ago, chuckles07 said:

Not sure where to put this - however by adding 2 and 2 together and getting to 27, the answer might actually be the 1975. SJM, the promoter has applied for a licence to run a 25k open air festival, 2 nights in July 2023, apparently. In Wilmslow. Now this is absolutely unprecedented in the town and locality, and especially this site. However the application has been made and someone copied a bit of the submission before the public comments ended. This all went under the radar. So it seems to be a kosher application. Why 1975 you ask, well they went to school and their families live in or near Wilmslow. (Doves are the other local band, and Peter Hook lives near by). Why would anyone else want to put on/play at a festival so close to Manchester with all the other sites available? It makes no sense. 

I don't know anything, but at first glance your suspicion looks to be extremely well founded - SJM are involved in the current arena tour from The 1975, so they'd make sense for something like this.

11 hours ago, incident said:

I don't know anything, but at first glance your suspicion looks to be extremely well founded - SJM are involved in the current arena tour from The 1975, so they'd make sense for something like this.

Yeah sorry for dragging you in. I thought SJM were the Rock City, Bearded Theory guys from your neck of the woods. Realise now they are Manchester based and are promoting the 1975 at the Manchester Arena on the current tour.

13 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

Used to live in Chorlton would see Hooky out and about a lot. Always had a face like a slapped arse.

Badly Drawn Boy used to drink in our local too.

Edited by Hugh Jass II

13 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

Very interesting, first i've heard of this.

re why anyone would use here, i thought with manchester it was either Heaton that is massive or like the castlefield bowl as far as regularly used sites. 1975 could do one Heaton show if they wanted but it is the complete opposite side of manchester to Wilmslow

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

Very interesting, first i've heard of this.

re why anyone would use here, i thought with manchester it was either Heaton that is massive or like the castlefield bowl as far as regularly used sites. 1975 could do one Heaton show if they wanted but it is the complete opposite side of manchester to Wilmslow

If they want to do something especially for their neighbourhood? Get a bit more press attention if it's a very local gig in a place that doesn't usually have them. 

On 1/14/2023 at 12:35 PM, WhoOdyssey said:

No, they’ve done Bournemouth, Brighton and Exeter so far. I get why it’s the O2 that had the guest though, the biggest show on tours often do.

Taylor is always popping up at the O2. Has appeared with HAIM and Bon Iver and now Matty’s boys in the last few months. Arguably if you see one of her mates play a show there and she doesn’t appear it’s a disappointment now. 

Show last night in Birmingham was phenomenal, the place was packed and the new songs went down almost as well as the old stuff. Difficult to understand why they aren’t headlining the Pyramid this year, unless someone sold Emily a lie about the new AM album being full of bangers. 

5 hours ago, gfa said:

Noel Gallagher and Lewis Capaldi are doing Wythenshawe Park, which is a new location

1 hour ago, MrHew said:

I have very little knowledge of the band but haven't enjoyed the little I've heard.

So I'm about to dive into the 1st album with an open mind and give it a go.

Their debut is definitely not the place to start if you want to give them a representative listen. 2013 1975 was very very Indie Pop of the time, whereas their sound now is effectively a perfected version 10 years on. I'd strongly recommend working backwards with them if you really want to give them a go, Being Funny in a Foreign Language is, imo, their first truly great record

7 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

Their debut is definitely not the place to start if you want to give them a representative listen. 2013 1975 was very very Indie Pop of the time, whereas their sound now is effectively a perfected version 10 years on. I'd strongly recommend working backwards with them if you really want to give them a go, Being Funny in a Foreign Language is, imo, their first truly great record

Interesting. My colleague told me to start with the first is in her opinion, it's the best.

I liked the intro but indie pop is very accurate and I didn't last 3 songs

56 minutes ago, MrHew said:

Interesting. My colleague told me to start with the first is in her opinion, it's the best.

I liked the intro but indie pop is very accurate and I didn't last 3 songs

Their debut is probably my favourite and in particular the deluxe version.  Some of the deep cuts on the deluxe version are some of my favs - like Undo, Fallingforyou, Me, You, Antichrist.  Add in Robbers, Sex, Heart Out, Settle Down, The City and Chocolate from the main album and its pretty hard to beat.

That being said, I would agree with @JayDiesel in that I would probably not recommend starting with the debut - the best place for me to start with if you have Spotify is the "This is The 1975" playlist.  That will give a good mix from all the albums- you will find the likes of Somebody Else, About You, The Sound etc quite high up on that list, and also the absolute banger that is Love It If We Made it.

Edited by circus92