LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

21 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The quote was "...is a stadium level artist..." so from that is sounded more of a solo act that a band.

‘Is’ rather than ‘are’, hmm. It was the streaming but they made me think of them. They’re nearly always top 5 in the world on those most streamed artists lists. 

20 minutes ago, Chazeboy said:

thats how i read it aswell, looking at spotify charts from over the years back to 2015 ish there is only 2/3 really that is female - in the top 3 over the years - RiRI / Swizzle / Grande

it could also be a Glasto Hyperbole for Dua Lipa - as in she is away to go super stardom - they do sometimes go down that route with their descriptions

this is based with using the Emily statements of couldnt believe someone (she) would be available

although im sure im getting 2 + 2 = potato

I think it's for Dua. She's somewhere in the top 20 most streamed artists, doesn't sound as impressive as top 3 but considering just how many people are putting out music, still pretty good. 

I think the late availability thing is for Stevie Wonder, I don't recall that comment being specifically about a female act.

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

This a prediction or intel, Joey? I know your input is well-respected here

Prediction buddy.

I think the next announcement will be a Dua Lipa stand alone given the slip-up a few weeks ago. Wording of that in my opinion doesn't suggest it's part of a wider poster drop.

The longer we go on without an announcement of any sort suggests to me that headliner wise it won't be very inspiring. If you've got what you consider to be a coup you (and the artist I'd imagine) would want it shouted from the rooftops rather than swallowed up in a poster drop.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I think it's for Dua. She's somewhere in the top 20 most streamed artists, doesn't sound as impressive as top 3 but considering just how many people are putting out music, still pretty good. 

I think the late availability thing is for Stevie Wonder, I don't recall that comment being specifically about a female act.

yeah thats fair, 

the "she" was proably just in my head, i thought it was as thats why back then everyone assumed it meant Madge, as it more alluded to female, but again, im most probably wrong on that memory

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Prediction buddy.

I think the next announcement will be a Dua Lipa stand alone given the slip-up a few weeks ago. Wording of that in my opinion doesn't suggest it's part of a wider poster drop.

The longer we go on without an announcement of any sort suggests to me that headliner wise it won't be very inspiring. If you've got what you consider to be a coup you (and the artist I'd imagine) would want it shouted from the rooftops rather than swallowed up in a poster drop.

I would agree, if it weren't for the fact that the "leaked" sentence clearly seemed to be the last sentence of a press release - kind of "notes to editors" at the bottom - rather than the headline of the release. 

So I read that as a release announcing somebody else, with "notes" at the bottom which talk about other headliners and allude to Dua.  My guess on the "somebody else" is Stevie Wonder or a smaller stage headliner, given the groan-fest that would greet a standalone Coldplay announcement.

16 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Prediction buddy.

Completely agree. 

I'm thinking the booking process this year might have been a bit of a rollercoaster for the team. 

I guess the good news is, the later the first announcement, the more to cram in between then and June.

Do people actually listen to Coldplay at home or in the car or whatever? I've never heard anyone I know mention them. I can see loads of people go to see the live shows, with the pretty lights and all and I sort of get that. But to choose to listen to them at home?

7 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

Do people actually listen to Coldplay at home or in the car or whatever? I've never heard anyone I know mention them. I can see loads of people go to see the live shows, with the pretty lights and all and I sort of get that. But to choose to listen to them at home?

I guess so. 

I expect there will still be a lot of people who are now in their 40's with a copy of "A Rush Of Blood" or "X&Y" kicking around in the glove box.

Also, their singles still get a lot of play on commercial radio and people have that on in the car or the kitchen.  

The people who are going to listen to a new Coldplay album are not going to be that vocal because they aren't on the bleeding edge of contemporary music but there will be loads and loads of fans who quietly enjoy listening to Coldplay at home.

every few years I'll put on one of the first 4 albums for a nostalgic listen and it is usually a pleasant time.

17 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

If this is a serious question, then a cursory look at Spotify just told me that they have over 72 million monthly listeners and some of their tracks, like 'Yellow', have been streamed more than 2 billion times. 

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

If this is a serious question, then a cursory look at Spotify just told me that they have over 72 million monthly listeners and some of their tracks, like 'Yellow', have been streamed more than 2 billion times. 

I'm surprised Yellow is that high, but more that I don't know the numbers.

I used to listen to the odd Coldplay single about 20 years ago, but now my 9 year old loves them so we do listen to them quite a bit in the car.  So I guess there’s a second wave of listeners.

30 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

Shocking stuff that other people may listen to music you don’t like. It’s almost like everyone has different priorities, tastes, and opinions. 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even if they don't it's not really relevant in terms of Glastonbury. 

I don't really listen to Guns & Roses or Elton John at home but was still staring into the whites of their eyes come Pyramid time.

Indeed. Beauty of festivals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ModernMan said:

Shocking stuff that other people may listen to music you don’t like. It’s almost like everyone has different priorities, tastes, and opinions. 

It's just I never hear anyone talking about a new Coldplay album or song. I don't see reviews of them either. Also I suppose I don't listen to radio where they'd be played so all those things mean they totally pass me by.

Just now, Chip Batch said:

It's just I never hear anyone talking about a new Coldplay album or song. I don't see reviews of them either. Also I suppose I don't listen to radio where they'd be played so all those things mean they totally pass me by.

And my age, I'm in my 40's but I can't imagine they're the sort of thing young people listen to either. Maybe they're big in the Radio 2 crowd 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

And my age, I'm in my 40's but I can't imagine they're the sort of thing young people listen to either. Maybe they're big in the Radio 2 crowd 🤷‍♂️

I mean, that's the problem - because you don't listen to them you can't see beyond that. 

Just now, stuie said:

I mean, that's the problem - because you don't listen to them you can't see beyond that. 

And while people use "Radio 2" as an negative, the fact remains that it's by a huge margin the most listened to station in the country and hugely overlaps the Glastonbury crowd.