LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

15 minutes ago, Superscally said:

They're so awful though...

They're up there in musical anomaly terms of far exceeding popularity to how good they are. Like Drake. For years he was the most streamed artist and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Swift or Sheeran, I get it to some degree, but Imagine Dragons?!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

They're up there in musical anomaly terms of far exceeding popularity to how good they are. Like Drake. For years he was the most streamed artist and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Swift or Sheeran, I get it to some degree, but Imagine Dragons?!

Just insanely bland, generic ‘rock’ with a lot of ‘whoa whoa’s and not much to think about, essentially. The type of stuff you hear constantly on adverts and the radio and have no idea who it is but is constantly just… there. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Just insanely bland, generic ‘rock’ with a lot of ‘whoa whoa’s and not much to think about, essentially. The type of stuff you hear constantly on adverts and the radio and have no idea who it is but is constantly just… there. 

Before I saw the streaming numbers, I would've placed them on the same kinda level as Glass Animals, middle of day Other or Pyramid. When I saw they were doing the Super Bowl halftime show, I thought they must be a late late replacement for some actual A-lister.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

6 hours ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

I don’t think Imagine Dragons are really that big in the U.K. they’re headlining the 2nd stage at R&L this year, probably their most suited U.K. festival, and the reception to them being announced was abysmal

4 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Definitely not as big here as elsewhere to be fair... Still hugely popular though, and very on trend right now with Dan's tickytocky virality.

I'd rather see them than AM personally, and I know a few people who will be at Main Stage West rather than East at Leeds... 

They are a big band just need to give up doing fests - wherever announces them nobody wants them

Could no doubt sell a massive arena tour

Just now, anditmakesmesmile said:

I don’t think the UK gets Imagine Dragons. And Imagine Dragons definitely doesn’t get the UK. I always think that of any band that makes Milton Keynes it’s only UK appearance in a global tour. 

Imagine a world without the dragons. We can only pray 🙏 

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I mean, for all of AM’s faults, that’s simply not true, and especially when it comes to Glastonbury, who I would bet would never book Imagine Dragons ever again due to 1. How shite they are and 2. How big of a slot they’d no doubt demand. 

Few hours ago they were playing second stage at an inferior festival, now they'd demand too bigger slot? (Admittedly it wasn't you who said that, tbf.)

AM are really boring, sorry, but that's my opinion. I'm not an ID fan either, hadn't even connected half their hits to them until a few days ago... I actually agree with your assessment in another post, songs you hear on the radio and think 'this is ok,' then forget about... But I still prefer most of those songs to almost anything AM have put out.

You're right about Glastonbury though, and I think the same probably applies for the UK in general, AM have been selling / streaming very well this year in the UK. (Since the glasto announcement?) 

I'll most likely be at the Pyramid on Friday night anyway, everybody in our group loves them for some reason, including my 19 year old son. Maybe I'll appreciate them more live? 🤞 It's Friday night at Glastonbury, so I'll certainly try and go into it with an open mind looking to have a blast... 👍

51 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Few hours ago they were playing second stage at an inferior festival, now they'd demand too bigger slot? (Admittedly it wasn't you who said that, tbf.)

AM are really boring, sorry, but that's my opinion. I'm not an ID fan either, hadn't even connected half their hits to them until a few days ago... I actually agree with your assessment in another post, songs you hear on the radio and think 'this is ok,' then forget about... But I still prefer most of those songs to almost anything AM have put out.

You're right about Glastonbury though, and I think the same probably applies for the UK in general, AM have been selling / streaming very well this year in the UK. (Since the glasto announcement?) 

I'll most likely be at the Pyramid on Friday night anyway, everybody in our group loves them for some reason, including my 19 year old son. Maybe I'll appreciate them more live? 🤞 It's Friday night at Glastonbury, so I'll certainly try and go into it with an open mind looking to have a blast... 👍

You can play second stage at Reading - which is essentially coheadline icymi and then regardless demand too big of a slot at glasto

I doubt they care about glasto pocket change at this stage of their career.

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

You can play second stage at Reading - which is essentially coheadline icymi and then regardless demand too big of a slot at glasto

I doubt they care about glasto pocket change at this stage of their career.

Yeh, despite my comments, I thought the same (it's how this conversation got started.) But I dunno enough about them to say that with any certainty. 

We'll have to see where the future leads in terms of Glasto and ID. If they keep growing in popularity, I struggle to believe they'll never be considered.

Anyway, what will be will be, back to the original point, I doubt they're playing this year, as there's very few slots big enough... 

(And yes, I'm aware that there's 2 main stages at R&L, it wasn't me that used their billing on the second stage there as a way to try and prove that they're not big enough. 👍

46 minutes ago, gfa said:

You can play second stage at Reading - which is essentially coheadline icymi

It's been done to death, but sorry - it's absolutely not, by any standards.

Not one of the main stage headliners at R+L this year could plausibly swap with one of the second stage headliners. The same applied last year, and the year before. I understand why they want to push the "two main stages" thing for marketing reasons, but there's a clear drop in the status of acts from the main stage to the second stage and there's no reason for anyone here to pretend otherwise.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, incident said:

Not one of the main stage headliners at R+L this year could plausibly swap with one of the second stage headliners. The same applied last year, and the year before. I understand why they want to push the "two main stages" thing for marketing reasons, but there's a clear drop in the status of acts from the main stage to the second stage and there's no reason for anyone here to pretend otherwise.

The 2nd stage headliner is a sub, that’s all.  Anyone saying differently is kidding themselves 

17 minutes ago, incident said:

The two main stage system as a whole has been a complete downgrade (but I imagine saves them a lot money). Without the NME/Radio 1 stage and with the two main stages not having any clashes, there’s not only fewer artists as before but far less choice at any given time as one main stage is always vacant. 

2 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

I don’t think the UK gets Imagine Dragons. And Imagine Dragons definitely doesn’t get the UK. I always think that of any band that makes Milton Keynes it’s only UK appearance in a global tour. 

Maybe Imagine Dragons just see the deep cultural richness of MK that the rest of the UK doesn't see. 

https://www.open.ac.uk/research/news/milton-keynes-bidding-be-2023-capital-culture

31 minutes ago, incident said:

It's weird, and all a matter of opinion / personal taste of course, but I agree, the headliners are a step up on East every single night, but on the other hand I'd rather be at West for the sub slot every night... 

Edited by Alvoram

22 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I agree with you, I'm not sure they'd be considered anything lower than other headliners / Pointy Sub... They're up there as contenders for one of the most popular bands on the planet if you look at streams... 

621693418_Screenshot2023-05-07001151.thumb.jpg.03fcbb70829b4c6c89be1d40923bb89d.jpg

And they place 9th on Ranker, 8 places above Arctic Monkeys in 17th, they also have way way more streams than AM, and they're headlining the Pyramid. 

https://www.ranker.com/list/most-famous-rock-bands-right-now/ranker-music

But then again, they don't seem the type to be too stuck up their own arses to take a lower spot, and it may just be what this year's line up needs. A popular band, who despite having been around the block a few times, are still very 'current.' 

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Splodge said:

image.jpeg

😂😂😂 That made me chuckle. Humankind's two biggest mistakes. 😂

TBH people who like Coldplay are the ONLY people I trust. 😉 There's always a niggling doubt with those who go out of their way to have a dig at Coldplay, or CM, that they're just jumping on the bandwagon to seem 'cool.' 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, incident said:

Foals co-headlined a few years ago, as did Disclosure and Imagine Dragons.

Not saying i'd expect them to swap but Reading in the past has frequently had co-headliners with completely different status e.g. Kendrick and Panic at the disco when i went a few years back.

Imagine Dragons are firmly in other headline / sub territory.