The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

It was the entry in 2016. Absolute chaos, I had to walk up a hill to the gate, D maybe, was the only time I'd gone in that way. 

Carts abandoned left right and centre, wheels falling off everywhere.

The only time I considered just giving up and going hope while in the depths of the queue despair 

9 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

It was the entry in 2016. Absolute chaos, I had to walk up a hill to the gate, D maybe, was the only time I'd gone in that way. 

The only time I considered just giving up and going hope while in the depths of the queue despair 

I also went up that hill was like a secne out of a ww2 film was horrendous, made it to pylon and put up my tent in the rain got inside soaked and wondered if it was worth it all 

2007 sticks with me as the worst I can remember but also the best for one reason.  Sunday afternoon we sat in our van wet, muddy and thoroughly hacked off, waving forlornly through the rain at the folks next door. We seriously contemplated jacking it in there and then...after all living so close we could be home in 20 minutes.  Then it dawned on us that living only 20 minutes away was the best reason to stay not to leave.  We didn't have to consider a 7 hour journey in damp clothes, we could be in the shower in less than half an hour.

So we opened the vodka, got changed, and hit the site.  Watching The Who deliver that epic set in the pouring rain still sticks with me as one of the best nights we've ever spent in front of the Pyramid.  No regrets.

9 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

25 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

I also went up that hill was like a secne out of a ww2 film was horrendous, made it to pylon and put up my tent in the rain got inside soaked and wondered if it was worth it all 

Oh my god, I'd blocked that out! 😂 key memory unlocked. And that was a year when a friend and I had to do a second trip to the car, so I lived that nightmare TWICE. 

I remember in 2011 there was 3 of us trying to pull the trolley laden with beer up from the car. The trolley had lost one wheel and the other was bent.

We were already soaked from putting the tents up that second run was a nightmare with the mud already becoming sticky. 

Since then I've always got the coach and travelled lighter. I only do one trip now so if it doesn't fit in the bag it doesn't go.

38 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Oh my god, I'd blocked that out! 😂 key memory unlocked. And that was a year when a friend and I had to do a second trip to the car, so I lived that nightmare TWICE. 

As strange as it sounds I appreciate it now as a memory and a great one so I can say I survived the mud.

All part of the glastonbury experience but I only need to live it once 

1 hour ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Yeah I'd forgotten that, putting the tent up in the rain, everything you own already caked in muck, it was awful 🤣

2 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

Just so everyone knows, I think I've been to 15 festivals, I've had 2 completely dry Latitudes and that's it...

I'm a bad omen and for that I'm sorry.

Thats impressive

I've had quite a lot of rain myself now i think about it - usually on the last day. I think only Latitude '21 was completely dry and Glasto last year afaik

Edited by gfa

It’s a long way off, but the bi-weekly ECMWF forecast for festival week is out again, and has degraded slightly but still shows a warmer than average week.   Rainfall about average (so not completely dry). Obviously this doesn’t give us specifics but useful to compare as the weeks go by:IMG_4051.thumb.jpeg.a9131779ed682aa7335ae74fac310212.jpeg

…and as Gavsweathervids has tweeted, the first “plume” of the season is expected at the end of May which will bring warm, but potentially stormy weather, to the south of the U.K.:

IMG_4050.png.f5b2001d893c904903d2243b6486f004.png

7 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

It’s a long way off, but the bi-weekly ECMWF forecast for festival week is out again, and has degraded slightly but still shows a warmer than average week.   Rainfall about average (so not completely dry). Obviously this doesn’t give us specifics but useful to compare as the weeks go by:IMG_4051.thumb.jpeg.a9131779ed682aa7335ae74fac310212.jpeg

…and as Gavsweathervids has tweeted, the first “plume” of the season is expected at the end of May which will bring warm, but potentially stormy weather, to the south of the U.K.:

IMG_4050.png.f5b2001d893c904903d2243b6486f004.png

This could be good, a super dusty festival can be nearly as stifling as a wet one at times.

On 5/18/2023 at 8:05 AM, parsonjack said:

2007 sticks with me as the worst I can remember but also the best for one reason.  Sunday afternoon we sat in our van wet, muddy and thoroughly hacked off, waving forlornly through the rain at the folks next door. We seriously contemplated jacking it in there and then...after all living so close we could be home in 20 minutes.  Then it dawned on us that living only 20 minutes away was the best reason to stay not to leave.  We didn't have to consider a 7 hour journey in damp clothes, we could be in the shower in less than half an hour.

So we opened the vodka, got changed, and hit the site.  Watching The Who deliver that epic set in the pouring rain still sticks with me as one of the best nights we've ever spent in front of the Pyramid.  No regrets.

Yeah having survived 97,98, and 2005 - 2007 was miserable one of the only ones I have been to where it rained practically the whole time and I’d taken my cousin for her first time. By Sunday morning she’d had enough do we decided to take our stuff back to the car and if it had stopped raining we thought we’d walk back down. It didn’t so we gave up and went home - was  sat on sofa in afternoon watching Shirley Bassey on Tv with a nice cup of tea having had a very long hot shower! 2016 wasn’t too bad over the actual weekend - it was the thick mud and soggy site due to the rain in the run up which made it so it was a hard slog . I think after that one the festival started to bring in wood chipping.

On 5/17/2023 at 11:47 PM, Franky said:

I was at 2005 and 2007, a miracle I ever went back! 2007 wasn’t only wet (very wet) but cold too. 

disaster. 

Me too. 2005 flash flooding was horrendous (but sort of fun) and you could sit on the ground by Sunday. 2007 was grim. Had to stand in a bin liner early hours of Monday morning when back at the car, to remove wellies and waterproof trousers in one go so I wouldn’t get mud on the inside of the car. Hard work to get around - think I lost half a stone in weight in the 4 days!

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They'd had it before and also in 2016 - just in much smaller quantities.  Now they go to town with it. The Other Stage was woodchip city last year - in a dry year.

It can actually make walking over it in trainers quite difficult!