The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

33 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Take  care everyone… Without meaning to sound patronising, remember the basics…

Avoid Alcohol (and I’m a publican!)

Drink plenty of water

Wear light coloured, thin, loose clothing. 

Stay in the shade as much as possible

Eat light in the day

Avoid physical activity

Be safe! 

I'd like to add - if the air outside is warmer than the air in your home, shut the windows & close the curtains. I never used to do it because I like the fresh air, but it really does work!

30 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I wonder if in the future we'll start to see festivals cancelling because of the heat.  

Sadly I think we will 🙁 If the weather forecast over the next 2 days happened over a festival weekend it would be very difficult for the event to keep running with a genuine risk people might die. 

Alternatively we might see more UK festivals adapt to provide accommodation for extreme heat like at Coachella, with air conditioned tents, water misting stations etc… But that’s a massive infrastructure investment that may never be needed. Not very green either. 

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

I'd like to add - if the air outside is warmer than the air in your home, shut the windows & close the curtains. I never used to do it because I like the fresh air, but it really does work!

Currently doing this as well. I hate having to as I am a total fresh air junkie for most of the year and I find having the curtains closed during the day really depressing but can cope for a couple of days...

On a nice warm October weekend it would be fabulous. Dark early so more acts could benefit from light shows. No worries about the sun waking you up or melting in your tent. Dreamy mist over the fields in the morning… 😍

In reality of course it would probably be an autumn storm with gales & driving rain! 

3 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

Spare a thought for us chefs in the coming days 🥵🥵🥵

I've decided that we're closing our kitchen Monday and Tuesday!!! Even with the huge intake and extraction interlock system it would be inhumane!!!

4 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Excellent advice, and it does work!!! Try to close the windows early in the morning. If the sun is shining bright then the blinds / curtains part is especially important. Use fans in the house to keep the air moving. 

54 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I've decided that we're closing our kitchen Monday and Tuesday!!! Even with the huge intake and extraction interlock system it would be inhumane!!!

Good call 👍

I'm currently working at a large university that are hosting the Commonwealth Games & have huge conference centre's - I fear there will be no option of closing, I'll find out at 6.30am if I can rewrite the menu to cold options 🤞

54 minutes ago, BumJuice said:

According to Met Office today was our hottest one in South Devon (26c), tomorrow 24c and Tues 23c. Like Glasto weather, that can change like the wind and hope the hot areas do a similar u-turn. Stay cool and calm everyone 

31c here today!!! 

E1C94494-9BA6-41F6-BD70-A2ADC1782025.thumb.jpeg.2b20c014ddfe059883de946c42a94c93.jpeg

Only 20s in Devon?

You know that famous saying? “It’s grim up North!” Don’t think this is what it means… 🙈😂