Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

9 minutes ago, Gregorick said:

Hmmm, heres an idea. As far as Barcelona goes, very few people were at the Bits section of the site last year. I wonder if some of those bigger EDM names and the fact that there are two headliners a day as opposed to the last few years trend of having 3+ could we see a more split site with dual headliners on at different ends of the site to try and reduce the congestion we saw at Mordor 

The congestion was a far bigger problem at the smaller stages imo. 

7 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I can't really describe it but it feels like the most awkward lineup they've ever had. Things just aren't clicking together like they used to - the curation is way off.

Will be giving it a miss this year and putting my money towards a couple of other festivals. Loads of these acts will be touring hard all summer I imagine.

My thoughts exactly. Will be looking at an early June festival and hope to go back to Pukkelpop in August as well

5 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I can't really describe it but it feels like the most awkward lineup they've ever had. Things just aren't clicking together like they used to - the curation is way off.

Yup, a real tug of war between the older Primavera and the new direction they’re ham-fistedly trying to move towards. I think the lineup is still great, but it’s really missing those ‘wow’ acts that would have me buying a ticket right now, and I think a lot of them have unfortunately been lost to the acts that we’re all puzzled by right now. I wouldn’t have guessed this was a Primavera lineup if I’d have seen the list of acts with no festival listed.

5 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Will be giving it a miss this year and putting my money towards a couple of other festivals. Loads of these acts will be touring hard all summer I imagine.

I actually think 2019 had the most awkward line up. Whilst the headliners skew towards the popular, I think the undercard keeps the Primavera spirit to a large extent. Not many mainstream festivals would be booking The Moldy Peaches, Perfume, Swans, Death Grips, Built To Spill, Darkside and Arthur Verocai, John Cale and Laurie Anderson.

• Like 2

Very surprised at the negative reaction this line-up is getting tbh, I'm quite jealous of those going. I like the somewhat awkward blend of pop and more esoteric stuff, really liked going from Giveon to Jesus & Mary Chain to Dorian Electra last year and seems like there's lots of opportunities for similar runs this time.

That being said, line-up isn't the reason I'm not going to my second Prima in 2023. The line-up last year was great, it was everything else that felt disappointing.

1 minute ago, chilirocker said:

I actually think 2019 had the most awkward line up. Whilst the headliners skew towards the popular, I think the undercard keeps the Primavera spirit to a large extent. Not many mainstream festivals would be booking The Moldy Peaches, Perfume, Swans, Death Grips, Built To Spill, Darkside and Arthur Verocai, John Cale and Laurie Anderson.

RIght, but what even is the festival anymore when they're balancing those acts with Calvin Harris and Halsey and whoever?

People here used to mock Mad Cool for these weird nonsensical mashed up lineups but this isn't far off that at all. It's trying to be two things at once and I'm not sure it's succeeding at either.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

RIght, but what even is the festival anymore when they're balancing those acts with Calvin Harris and Halsey and whoever?

People here used to mock Mad Cool for these weird nonsensical mashed up lineups but this isn't far off that at all. It's trying to be two things at once and I'm not sure it's succeeding at either.

But, if you did remove Calvin Harris and Halsey/Skrillex from the lineup, would it be so different from other years? Thankfully, there are so many stages, it's easy to avoid.  

Some thoughts:

• Is Bjork really going to Mad Cool? 
  • Where is Travis Scott? (good news though)
  • Where is Frank Ocean? (bad news) 
  • What is the capacity difference between Madrid and Barcelona? I don't know which one to choose. 

I also got a weird feeling about the all things but here are my need-to-see artists from the lineup: 

• Day 1: Pet Shop Boys 
  • Day 2: Hasley, Pusha T, Anderson Paak, Loyle Carner, Rema, Central Cee, Sudan Archives, Pinkpantheress, Red Velvet, Ascendant Vierge, Isabella Lovestory
  • Day 3: Kendrick Lamar, Depeche Mode, Baby Keem, Fred Again, Christine & The Queens, Channel Tres, VTSS B2B LSDXOXO, TEMS
  • Day 4: Rosalia, FKA Twigs, Maneskin, St Vincent, Caroline Polachek, Arlo Parks, Death Gripps, Jpegmafia, Kelela,Tokischa

Can't really add more than has already been said but it's quite an odd lineup. Certainly enough to keep me busy (assuming the clash gods are on my side) but also so many missed opportunities. There is a LOT of overlap across the two editions compared to this year so I wonder if this has affected the quality? (i.e generally avoiding acts that could only play Barcelona or only play Madrid)

Edited by TomViolence