What's the appeal of pennards

Bigfishlittlefish

We are looking at Pennards this year as we want to be close to Greenfields + Park and have mates in Worthy View... I am a bit apprehensive as a Paines regular but we tend to only get back to the tent at 4am-ish anyway so the sleeping thing isn't an issue!

What's the deal with tent thefts though? Is it really that bad in Pennards? We always use the lock ups for all valuables, but I'd be so fucked off if somebody robbed my booze...

1 minute ago, FrancisH said:

We are looking at Pennards this year as we want to be close to Greenfields + Park and have mates in Worthy View... I am a bit apprehensive as a Paines regular but we tend to only get back to the tent at 4am-ish anyway so the sleeping thing isn't an issue!

What's the deal with tent thefts though? Is it really that bad in Pennards? We always use the lock ups for all valuables, but I'd be so fucked off if somebody robbed my booze...

Yeah Pennards is the peak for it. Little knife slicing the side of your tent open and robbing your phone and wallet from beside your head. 

Although that said, there were on 67 in total in 2019. 

• Upvote 1

We tried to get into Pennards one year on the Wed but it was already rammed and ended up camping behind the Park, but I don't think I would do that now Arcadia is there.

As a semi-old attendee now, the triangle field of Bushy Ground was lovely. Much nicer walking through a quiet/empty Silver Hayes during the morning to get to the main stages than on a tight boardwalk. Was quiet, plenty of space, our campsite never got busier than a few people smoking in the morning before they went into the main areas.

Ive camped in Pennards for the last 12 Glasto's and loved it.

I think the only unique thing about this field is it's location, it is probably the most central place to camp, hence it gets rammed full early on Wednesday morning.

There's been both good and bad things said about it on this thread, some fair, some bollix.

But lets face it, each year whatever field you choose it's your neighbours that make the experience, that can be a good thing or a nightmare.

If it’s a very wet year (I’m sure it won’t be) avoid the valley that runs down the centre of Pennards, unless you want the risk of a river running through your tent like mine back in ‘98.

And I’m sure you’ve seen the infamous photos from 2005, but if not, don’t camp anywhere near the bottom of the field!

Yup camped here loads amd it's no different to many other places in terms of rowdiness. I like if for location 2 mins to greenfield and total chill out. Totally different world though the hedgerow. Not far from sauna and showers in tipi fields. Close to park and stone circle. Disadvantages are lack of space compared to other places to camp but let's be honest every camp is busy unless you don't mind walking for half an hour to get anywhere . 

I asked in another post what it's like camping there now with the big pier overlooking it so if anyone knws let me know as it's putting me off going there again .

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mario man said:

If it’s a very wet year (I’m sure it won’t be) avoid the valley that runs down the centre of Pennards, unless you want the risk of a river running through your tent like mine back in ‘98.

And I’m sure you’ve seen the infamous photos from 2005, but if not, don’t camp anywhere near the bottom of the field!

Ah, after the infamous flood of 2005 - I was there - ME and GF invested a lot of money into drainage etc after that year, the bottom of the field won't ever flood again me thinks. However, on the miniscule chance of a repeat flood.... it's all crew camping now.

Good call about the 'small valley'. You say the centre, I say it's a long shallow dip about 300 m below the park entrance, that runs diagonally from NW to SE. That does seem to hold water with the ground becoming very wet and boggy

Fun fact, I found this out my self as I spend far to much time Glastobating...
I noticed on an aerial shot ages ago, there was a definite long line of lush green grass as compared to the normal green grass running from the park, down in a South East direction thru Pennards ending up by the railway line - another flood prone area. When I checked on some ancient maps - maybe 100 years old, there is a stream marked there. Probably filled in by the farmer at the time.

1 hour ago, mario man said:

That was the last time I camped in Pennards.  I never again want the anxiety of not knowing if your tent is going to be there when you get back because the river washed it away.  I was fine, but boy that was a new concern to keep you company all day! 

Also the only time I've ever been woken up by people yelling that they'd found some pants (washed out of a tent) and trying (successfully believe it or not) to reunite them with their owner!

Just as a random point of info, me & 2 mates camped there in 2016. It was loud & lively with conversations going on & people walking past through the tents at all hours. No real issues though, nothing got nicked and neighbours were pretty sound. 

Tends to be a younger crowd there than other campsites, there was a big tent near us with a group of late teens/early 20s fellas, very much lads lads lads. 😂 Nice bunch but their camp was an absolute shambles, think they were far too busy enjoying themselves to care. 

10 hours ago, bigbilly said:

I asked in another post what it's like camping there now with the big pier overlooking it so if anyone knws let me know as it's putting me off going there again .

I camp a couple of tents down into the field from where the trackway cuts across, on the same side as a the pier. I definitely heard it in the morning when it opened, but it was around the time I'd get up anyway so not a big problem. It wouldn't put me off camping there again.

On 5/31/2022 at 4:38 AM, kalifire said:

I camp a couple of tents down into the field from where the trackway cuts across, on the same side as a the pier. I definitely heard it in the morning when it opened, but it was around the time I'd get up anyway so not a big problem. It wouldn't put me off camping there again.

Cool cheers mate, not to worried about the noise aspect, just if it was weird been overlooked by everyone on the pier 

Call me stupid, but what's the point in stealing a phone nowadays? Surely it's asking for trouble since you can't get into them without biometrics (or a computer with illegal software to hand) and find my Iphone (not sure about android) now stays active even when the phone is turned off... Surely you just log into find my on somebody else's device and track both your phone and the culprit? 

Having said that, did the 'find my staying active when the phone is off' feature get added in an update recently? it's only in the last few months I've noticed the message on my screen when the phone is off.

Edit: Never mind, yes it's a fairly new feature, and anybody with an iphone who's worried about phone theft should definitely read about it and make sure it's enabled... https://www.theverge.com/22697218/iphone-apple-ios-15-find-my-how-to You can even force the phone to make a sound despite it being turned off, great when they inevitably deny knowing anything about it. 😉 

Edited by Alvoram