Fontaines DC

BL1ND T1G3R

On 5/22/2022 at 8:24 PM, 4AssedMonkey said:

Not trying to be controversial or anything, but I don't get the hype. I've listened to quite a bit of their output and other than maybe 2 songs it sounds very samey and not at all exciting.  Get that all art is personal taste but it's rare that a new band hits the scene, causes a stir and I don't get it at all.  And the way 6Music bang on about them feels very "emperors new clothes".  Realise I'm in the minority (and therefore probably missing a trick) but do not get this at all.

I saw them three times at Glasto in 2019 and at EOTR and GM; it was ace. Problem for me is they're moving too far away from their first album. Saw them this year in Bournemouth and although I did really enjoy it, I did find myself just waiting for the Dogrel songs.

2 hours ago, SighMo said:

I saw them three times at Glasto in 2019 and at EOTR and GM; it was ace. Problem for me is they're moving too far away from their first album. Saw them this year in Bournemouth and although I did really enjoy it, I did find myself just waiting for the Dogrel songs.

Agree with this. I enjoy the first album a lot more than the others. Just watched the Big Weekend set on Iplayer and they didn't play a single song from Dogrel. I'd be a bit bored with that set.

17 hours ago, Diamond24 said:

Agree with this. I enjoy the first album a lot more than the others. Just watched the Big Weekend set on Iplayer and they didn't play a single song from Dogrel. I'd be a bit bored with that set.

They have just literally released a new record (which is absolutely brilliant) in fairness, the set is bound to have a chunk of that in

4 hours ago, mufcok said:

They have just literally released a new record (which is absolutely brilliant) in fairness, the set is bound to have a chunk of that in

I know, never questioned the reason why. Just saying personally I wouldn't really enjoy a set without any Dogrel songs. 

2 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

Pretty dreadful slot for Fontaines, 4th down Other, Sunday, and clashing with Diana Ross. They must be a bit miffed with that, it's gonna be pretty sparse round there isn't it.

yeah a stinker. no doubt the lads would've quite liked to have seen diana ross too. i wonder who they've pissed off

2 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

Pretty dreadful slot for Fontaines, 4th down Other, Sunday, and clashing with Diana Ross. They must be a bit miffed with that, it's gonna be pretty sparse round there isn't it.

Was one i wanted to see, gutted about clash but its Glasto and D Ross wins out.

I didn't think they were particularly lucky in 2019 either, they were only a last minute stand in for Fender in the John Peel, which turned out to be the best gig of the weekend for me. Williams Green Saturday afternoon, Leftfield Sunday tea time, then Rabbit Hole 3am Monday morning!! haha.

I felt sure they would headline the Park this time, or get the sub slot on Other. 

Massive shame how it's turned out. I'm gonna do half an hour of Ross with my gang, then bomb round on my own.

17 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

Feel for Fontaines as they deserve better. Remember when Twin Atlantic clashed with Lionel and you could walk to the front barrier it was that quiet 

screenshot from YouTube:

A3C5CCC1-91F9-4F40-ACDF-6A11D1D5DF96.png

Edited by Dukey

22 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

Is this a joke, clashing with Diana Ross!! Not sure if folk get them. It will be rammed for Fontaines as they one of the best current bands on the circuit. Not even a close clash.

Any band going up against the Sunday legend is gonna suffer crowd-wise, as shown by all of the previous other Other Stage crowds at that time in previous years. Somebody’s gotta take that slot and Fontaines are a good counter act to DRoss so makes sense even if it is a shiter for some.

1 hour ago, she bangs the drums said:

The crowd for them will be a lot sparser than it should be, however those who are there will really want to be watching them, whereas the crowd for Ross will be massive, and many of those in attendance will be there as a tick box exercise. 

Got to admit to being a little nervous of DiRo and how it will go.  No doubting legend status but how is her voice and can she pull it off without a cringefest.  Controversial comment maybe but I'm wary of being one of those simply ticking a box when there is so much happening elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 8:54 AM, parsonjack said:

Got to admit to being a little nervous of DiRo and how it will go.  No doubting legend status but how is her voice and can she pull it off without a cringefest.  Controversial comment maybe but I'm wary of being one of those simply ticking a box when there is so much happening elsewhere.

Fontaines are bang in their pomp, with a genius new album out. Not to be missed 😉

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

The one that sounds like Iggy & The Stooges about smoking Carrolls. 

Boys in the Better Land.  That and Liberty Belle are the only 2 decent songs they've got IMO.

My son has just seen them a few minutes ago at Primavera and said how amazing it was. Not much from Dogrel though. I’ve just put the album on and I’m thinking how good those Glasto Gigs were when they only had those songs.