Drug Testing on Entry

gfa

21 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Can’t for the life of me think why they would be looking for explosives. If the festival wanted to check for explosives then we would be going through airport style security scanners, not a dog sniffing a few random  bags. They are drug dogs.

I’m pretty certain that dog on entrance to the zig zag in 2017 was an explosive dog as it was not long after the arena bombing. But it was red hot and the dog was fit for nothing. 

22 minutes ago, Divein said:

I’m pretty certain that dog on entrance to the zig zag in 2017 was an explosive dog as it was not long after the arena bombing. But it was red hot and the dog was fit for nothing. 

they had built this bridge like structure on a couple of containers I think as you came in from the carparks ... im sure they had a dog there but it was just lying in the shade ... 

41 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

They are trained to sniff for whatever is required …. At that time there was an issue following the Ariana Grande concert … and it was very much in focus … they asked all bags to be labelled and we were told to expect more searches at the gates and delays getting in … in fact it’s the only time my bags have ever been looked in … 

What, you mean I put that nine bar in my prison wallet for nothing? 

😪

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

"This response was greeted with dismay by several councillors – one of whom said he would "string up" and "remove certain body parts" from anyone found guilty of drug dealing." 

Councillor not pulling any punches there...

I always find these opinions absolutely insane. It’s almost always based on a moral judgment that drug users are bad and need to be dealt with, the other arguments about crime, violence and addiction could be (mostly) dealt with through a regulated market for drugs and proper rehabilitation efforts for addicts. They never support that though, they just want to mutilate people to exact moral punishment.

• Upvote 1

I don’t know how useful or useless drug dogs are but I seem to remember seeing them around the gates on more than a handful of occasions at glasto and haven’t been stopped by one at Glastonbury. I have been stopped by them once at boomtown on my way out on the Saturday, back to the car to collect something. I had nothing on me on the way out and got sniffed out and strip searched but I did have something on the way back in and walked straight in.

Edited by alframsey

1 hour ago, Harry_W01 said:

Large televised event condensed into a small area?  would be a good enough reason imo. I'd imagine they'd have both in that case then. airport style scanners are ridiculous in my opinion  

The fact that they aren’t using airport scanners means they aren’t looking for explosives. 

4 minutes ago, Smeble said:

The fact that they aren’t using airport scanners means they aren’t looking for explosives. 

Why do they need airport scanners when they have dogs trained specifically to sniff them out? 

It's a festival in the middle of nowhere in a farmer's field. They aren't exactly going to bring 20 to 30 full body scanners with them for the weekend.

I got pulled over for one of the random bag searches in 2017 and the security guard told me they were there for explosives and firearms and definitely not drugs. 

I directed him to my glass jar of salsa (which I had completely just not appreciated was actually glass until that moment) and he didn’t go anywhere near my stash in the middle of my bag. Piece of piss getting stuff in. 

EDIT: In case it wasn’t obvious I got called over by the geezer. I didn’t get sniffed by a dog looking for explosives… 

Edited by the wonderwhy

15 minutes ago, Mark_safc said:

Why do they need airport scanners when they have dogs trained specifically to sniff them out? 

It's a festival in the middle of nowhere in a farmer's field. They aren't exactly going to bring 20 to 30 full body scanners with them for the weekend.

Right - and at the throughput needed especially on the Wednesday morning, 20 to 30 would only cover you for Gate A if you wanted to scan everyone. Wouldn't even like to guess at a number needed for full coverage, nor how much the infrastructure needed to operate them would cost.

6 minutes ago, incident said:

Right - and at the throughput needed especially on the Wednesday morning, 20 to 30 would only cover you for Gate A if you wanted to scan everyone. Wouldn't even like to guess at a number needed for full coverage, nor how much the infrastructure needed to operate them would cost.

can you imagine the privacy invasion too .... far worse than any blurry webcam 🙂 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Smeble said:

but they are my friend, just because they don't have power hungry airport scanners means they aren't looking for specific things, afaik security for events/festivals are briefed to look for Glass, Guns, explosives etc 

1 hour ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

I did some more Googling...

Somewhat conflicting info there, but seems to validate what's been said elsewhere.

From: https://www.vice.com/en/article/akgb4g/do-festival-sniffer-dogs-work

I was just about to send you this back. I met someone at uni a few months ago completely convinced they did nothing and by all accounts they didn't as he walked right in (and the dogs probably deter pretty much everyone else as the threat is getting kicked off your course)

1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

I got pulled over for one of the random bag searches in 2017 and the security guard told me they were there for explosives and firearms and definitely not drugs. 

I was searched perhaps a dozen times over the course of 2019.  Every time I went in through Gate A I was searched, we'd parked close to Gate A so did multiple trips to the car.  I was searched before I even got in the overnight queue and they found some hash and a grinder, told me they were supposed to take that off me and then let me carry on with only a stern glare.

I'm not sure if this is the same with all gates, but even popping out to use the clean toilets in the carparks I get searched going back in at Gate A and they seemed to be checking everyone's bag no matter what time of day or night I went through.

6 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I was searched perhaps a dozen times over the course of 2019.  Every time I went in through Gate A I was searched, we'd parked close to Gate A so did multiple trips to the car.  I was searched before I even got in the overnight queue and they found some hash and a grinder, told me they were supposed to take that off me and then let me carry on with only a stern glare.

I'm not sure if this is the same with all gates, but even popping out to use the clean toilets in the carparks I get searched going back in at Gate A and they seemed to be checking everyone's bag no matter what time of day or night I went through.

I’ve used gate a for every festival since 2013 as always get the coach, have never been searched and never seen a dog. That’s always arriving at between 9-12 on the Wednesday. I don’t then ever leave 

9 minutes ago, Spindles said:

15 years of going through gate a twice .... 1 cursory search ... 

Yeah, I'd never been searched at all prior to 2016.  I must have just had terrible luck as every time I went through they were searching everyone.  It was only a light search each time and only once did they find anything which they gave me a stern glare about, told me they should take it off me and then dropped it back in the bag and sent me on my way (it was about a tenner's worth of hash)

7 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Yeah, I'd never been searched at all prior to 2016.  I must have just had terrible luck as every time I went through they were searching everyone.  It was only a light search each time and only once did they find anything which they gave me a stern glare about, told me they should take it off me and then dropped it back in the bag and sent me on my way (it was about a tenner's worth of hash)

Might be because you were going in and out so many times so was curious as to what you were bringing in.