The Beginner's Guide To Glastonbury Festival?

K2SO

On 3/15/2022 at 11:45 AM, Sku said:

I normally tend to do something like this. I massively over plan, in the knowledge I won't actually  do most of the plan. The idea of the plan is so that I can always refer to it when reaching a "so, what now?" moment. Otherwise just following the flow.

This thread is quite an interesting read. I am taking my Mum to Glastonbury this year, who has never been to any festival, let alone Glastonbury. It's her 60th that week. My mum is actually in extremely good shape (probably better than me) and won't mind all the walking, and also loves a drink. I can't believe she has never been to a festival before as it's right up her street.

I can't wait to experience the festival through her lens, and definitely want to let her lead the way on what we are doing. Not really sure how it's going to go, but I'm really looking forward to it. It'll be a truly different experience to all the times I have gone to festivals in large groups of mates, but in a good way I think.

Love this! 

On 3/15/2022 at 12:17 AM, MetaKate said:

But my #1 has got to be the rabbit hole, if you're into late night stuff. God I love it in there, just a weird kind of magic. 

As silly as I may sound asking this, is there anything you need to do to get in? Or can you just rock up?

4 minutes ago, rgill3 said:

As silly as I may sound asking this, is there anything you need to do to get in? Or can you just rock up?

It's got two sections, one of which you can walk into, the other 'secret' area generally needs queuing for. Plenty of rumours about being able to jump the queue if you have a certain item, but this can vary.

Some very old details here: https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/in-a-field-of-their-own-the-rabbit-hole/

2019 article: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/glastonbury-secret-bar-rabbit-hole-2967025

Edited by blutarsky

19 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

In 2019 we took carrots still with the green tops on as we had been told this was the key to getting in. We didn’t get to test this as we never actually made it up there. 

I've come across this video. Gonna have to task one of the lads to learn magic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rgill3 said:

Nothing to skip the queue that I saw, we missed the Friday headliners though so that helped. 

To actually get in you had to crawl through a tunnel whilst being fanned by Alice in wonderland characters feeding you sugar cubes. I swear I wasn't even high at this point.

I’ve never understood the appeal of secret areas at Glastonbury. You’ve already got a ticket, which is like gold dust. Everything about just about anywhere you could go is fantastical, but you’d rather queue up for an hour to get into somewhere elite to say you’ve done it? Dab down old son. 

Seem to remember some pretty sordid stories on here of security performing physical ‘searches’ before entry as well which equated to groping. 

Edited by kalifire

19 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’ve never understood the appeal of secret areas at Glastonbury. You’ve already got a ticket, which is like gold dust. Everything about just about anywhere you could go is fantastical, but you’d rather queue up for an hour to get into somewhere elite to say you’ve done it? Dab down old son. 

Seem to remember some pretty sordid stories on here of security performing physical ‘searches’ before entry as well which equated to groping. 

Just to clarify to everyone, that wasn’t Rabbit Hole. We don’t search. 

Basically it’s a (rather complex and fully theatrical) tented venue experience that quickly gets full and then there’s a one in one out queue system. If folk don’t leave then the queue gets long.

Long gone is the secret that it exists.

Unless there are new secrets within. 

🥕🥕🐇 🕳🥕🥕

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I don't think it's elitist. I do like those areas that you come across, if you look or explore more then surprises can be found, rabbit hole, used to be a phone box that if you went in took you to another area, old Shangri-la there was one place you crawl in a little tunnel and another room was there with different music. Can be real fun

However, when there's a massive queue and everyone knows, it takes the magic out of it.

I'd love to be taken off into Genosys but again people seem to hang around waiting.

Ah well different place now I guess

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

They're fun when you don't have to queue for an hour.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I'm pretty sure that was a few years ago for NYC Downlow, and was part of their theming - they subsequently admitted it wasn't the best of ideas.

23 minutes ago, incident said:

I'm pretty sure that was a few years ago for NYC Downlow, and was part of their theming - they subsequently admitted it wasn't the best of ideas.

Downlow were offering to let people avoid the charity entrance fee if they got their dicks out. They stopped it after realising it could go wrong. 

It was the secret piano bar who had the gropey security.