2023 legend slot

ProperTea

50 minutes ago, adcarr_ said:

7A19F026-0130-4A29-8462-F6EE70582B85.thumb.jpeg.fa57ac91ea86a8a9b11338805e0b0cee.jpeg

Sadly think this is Stevie ruled out.

Unrelated, but I need to complain somewhere - this is 2 tours now where Stevie hasn't played NYC which is the most bizarre thing.  Everyone plays here.  How the heck is she gonna come to Philadelphia and completely skip us?

Just now, 4AssedMonkey said:

I know it's even more old white guys, but Duran Duran would be great.

I saw them at bestival in 2016 and they were as ridiculous as you'd expect. Simon LeBon cavorting around in a white leather (or denim, Idk, I was quite drunk) suit belting out some grade A 80's bangers was something that I never thought I'd enjoy as much as I did.

8 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

In for DD if only for A View To A Kill.

It's their best song and I'll die on that hill. 

No no no no.  There's many to choose from, but I raise you FLE-FLE-FLE-FLEX!

2 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

He’s a pop act in so much as he’s dance music for dummies, but he’s not an actual pop act, if we’re after a pop act then surely we can just get an actual pop act, like spice girls take that etc? Rather than someone just pressing play on their decks to churn out some edm style dance music that was popular 10/15 years ago. 

You're mistaking me merely answering questions about whether he can play in the light, and has in the past, with an endorsement of this push.  I think booking somebody who appears 10 times per festival is plain daft.

52 minutes ago, sjseabass said:

If that was the point you were making then why were you repeatedly making out as if Eavis is coining it in at the expense of the acts and charities?

I agree that the (limited, relative to the size of the event) charitable aspect in terms of donations is probably not much of a consideration for many performers. But what I expect they do consider when thinking about the reduced fee is that it’s not a profit-driven venture in the traditional sense either. Nobody would be wasting their time playing and just covering their costs (or worse) if they thought that everything they’d usually make at an equivalent-sized gig was going into someone else’s pocket.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Nor do I. I think it should be higher if anything. Wasn't the point I was making,

No - it's a commercial, not a charity event and bands will do it or not based on commercials - whether that's the actual fee or the publicity that can generate sales/streams down the line.

My point is acts aren't doing it for charity, and acts not doing it doesn't mean they hate charity. 

I mean, you sort of hit the nail on the head with the figures yourself. Half a million is less than the "pay cut" a headliner takes? Okay. So three headliners are taking a "pay cut" of £1.5 million collectively at least. The festival charitable donation is normally around £1 million.

So if they wanted to help a charity, the three headliners could just play their own gigs and donate the difference between what they normally get and what Glastonbury pays them, and the charity would be better off.

They'd probably describe themselves as a socially responsible business. 

They're not out to make huge profit, neither are they a charity. They want to put on a music festival for people to have fun and try to use that to have a positive impact on the world they live in.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

And while it donates money to charity, it's a tiny fraction of what it brings in, it's by no means a charitable event. And it doesn't need massive "profits" on paper as it doesn't have shareholders, and the people that own it own the land it takes place on, and pay themselves a huge fee from the festival to them for renting "the festival" the land. 

Maybe Madonna would agree to play one year if the Eavis' donate half their personal festival income to charity…

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

It's a couple of percent of the ticket price. It's not nothing, but the notion that Glastonbury is some sort of charity event has always been and remains a convenient nonsense. And yes, a lot more people are seeing through that now, including acts, and so not playing for much smaller fees any more. 

(And to be clear, I have absolutely no problem with the Eavis' making a tonne of money through putting on such a great event. Nor has the festival itself ever branded itself as a charitable event. That's just nonsense that people on here come up with. They leverage PR from their charitable donation every year but plenty of companies do the same thing.)

image.thumb.png.1d954d04b8f9014c32830111d0458df5.png

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I wasn't. You probably mis-read it.

🤨

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

No sign of any live activities from Cher I'm afraid.  At least Stevie and her band were on the road.

We are currently expecting dates for her "Here we go again again" tour 2023. 

Robbie’s dates don’t him look very likely. Norway on the 22nd and 24th and then Croatia on the 27th and 28th. You could squeeze a trip to Pilton in on the 25th but it’s not ideal, I think he’s more likely for another year.

It does feel oddly quiet, even just on realistic contenders nevermind solid rumours. I’m starting to think it might end up just being Pulp after all.