2023 legend slot

ProperTea

4 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Roxy would be a complete and utter meh to the vast majority of people under 40 - that’s not a wild take.

the crowd would not be large

I think i’m aware of love is the drug and thats it.

it would be a disappointing legend for a lot of people, whilst being realistic and remembering its not possible to deliver a stone cold banger every single festival in this slot - as it depends who is touring and who will do it for the cash on offer.

One thing i expect most people could agree on would be that it would look daft if they make the poster look like roxy music is the 4th headliner, like they have done recently, when their stock is simply nowhere near that high.

would be like ELO - a big older band with a great performance, just not the atmosphere we're used to in that slot for the poppier stuff. 

Years and Years were on in 2016 so they'd just put someone modern and fun on there and split the crowd accordingly

5 hours ago, Neil said:

i've just been told that roxy music aren't doing the legends slot after all, cos the booking fell thru at the last minute.

As suspected.

Just not known well enough these days to do the legend slot, without seeming like a disappointing booking in comparison to the previous legends.

31 minutes ago, stuie said:

As suspected.

Just not known well enough these days to do the legend slot, without seeming like a disappointing booking in comparison to the previous legends.

Im sure the Eavii gauged the reaction to the internet and said "yeah, casuals wont like this so we're picking somebody else". 

4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Im sure the Eavii gauged the reaction to the internet and said "yeah, casuals wont like this so we're picking somebody else". 

stuie now in charge of bookings cos his musical knowledge of classic British acts is limited, he's perfect.

48 minutes ago, Neil said:

stuie now in charge of bookings cos his musical knowledge of classic British acts is limited, he's perfect.

Well aware of Roxy Music and their 2 well-ish known hits thanks to my Dad.  Doesn’t change the fact they would be a shit booking for the legend slot and they weren’t ever booked anyway. 

4 hours ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

that person later admitted they hadn't been reading the thread and the act might have been mentioned.

Everyone's idea of what 'the festival old guard' means is different.

Really that person didn't give us any information at all

I told you it wasn't Roxy Music 😜

But yes, in retrospect it probably was a frustrating post.

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

Perfectly happy if someone else is playing but am intrigued about people who refer to their two songs

I'd have thought Virginia Plain, Love is the Drug, Jealous Guy and Avalon pretty well known? 

https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/14677/roxy-music/

If Fezza had carked it in 1980 and his estate had decent PR people he'd be way more revered than he is now.

I found this quite interesting on Bowie-laundering:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/nov/24/david-bowie-divine-symmetry-review-hunky-dory-box-set?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

45 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If Fezza had carked it in 1980 and his estate had decent PR people he'd be way more revered than he is now.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/nov/24/david-bowie-divine-symmetry-review-hunky-dory-box-set?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Are you after Paddington's job as the reaper? 

57 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Very interesting review. Whilst Roxy Music didn’t hit the heights of the best of Bowie, they’re comparable glam/art rock artists and they were vastly more consistent in quality, dare I say. 

Anyway, enjoying the talk of Sparks, one of the rare breed of glam/art still going strong. Their last album is ace.