Discovered acts from the line up you’ve never heard before

kalifire

12 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I saw them play in 2008 - they did some Zeppelin stuff of varying quality. He seems intent on ruining Black Dog at more or less every show, and this was no exception, but on the other hand they did sublime versions of The Battle of Evermore and Hey Hey, What Can I Do. But you're right, I enjoyed the other stuff just as much if not more so, and Alison Krauss has the most wonderful voice.

I see what you mean. He slows it down and takes the edge off. The goje solo was a nice surprise though

I love a great female country/bluegrass singer

I'm not sure how I made it this far without coming across this act, and this specific performance. It's knocked me for six. The sheer anger, despair and steady sink into mental ill-health that can come from being on the dole. Stunning.

Edited by kalifire
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm a bit too set in my ways to try to discover new stuff (my Most Listened on Tidal was Echo in the Canyon and Pear Jam's Let's Play Two for both Jan and Feb!) but I have discovered some of the acts on the poster independently over the last couple of years.

• Confidence Man - saw them at Pukkelpop, one of the best live acts I saw all year. Great energy and some banging tunes
  • Sigrid (and Griff) - I do like a bit of "light pop music" and think Sigrid in particular is great
  • Kacey Musgraves - I know she's a big star now but she's excellent. I've seen her a couple of times in small venues, definitely deserves a big slot
  • Easy Life - my cousin's step-daughter raves about them. I actually quite liked them when she played me a bit (they've got a great "sunny day" song with Arlo Parks called Sangria (which everyone in the world bar me probably knows)

It's a tough one for me, I feel like the poster is currently lacking something to wow me. Megan Three Stallion (that's how I read her name the first time I saw it and cannot get away from it now) Doja and the like just don't appeal at all so if anyone has any suggestions for people playing a guitar and singing then I am all ears! 

6 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

I'm a bit too set in my ways to try to discover new stuff (my Most Listened on Tidal was Echo in the Canyon and Pear Jam's Let's Play Two for both Jan and Feb!) but I have discovered some of the acts on the poster independently over the last couple of years.

• Confidence Man - saw them at Pukkelpop, one of the best live acts I saw all year. Great energy and some banging tunes
  • Sigrid (and Griff) - I do like a bit of "light pop music" and think Sigrid in particular is great
  • Kacey Musgraves - I know she's a big star now but she's excellent. I've seen her a couple of times in small venues, definitely deserves a big slot
  • Easy Life - my cousin's step-daughter raves about them. I actually quite liked them when she played me a bit (they've got a great "sunny day" song with Arlo Parks called Sangria (which everyone in the world bar me probably knows)

It's a tough one for me, I feel like the poster is currently lacking something to wow me. Megan Three Stallion (that's how I read her name the first time I saw it and cannot get away from it now) Doja and the like just don't appeal at all so if anyone has any suggestions for people playing a guitar and singing then I am all ears! 

I also like most of what you have mentioned above.  Sigrid and Kacey are must sees for me, and I will also be at Griff and Confidence Man clashes permitting.  One of my other must sees is Holly Humberstone - you should definitely check her out as she ticks the boxes you have mentioned  - Singer / Songwriter / Guitar / Pop.  Really talented and on the up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

Couple of suggestions (I think) worth a spin, although you might have tried these already:

Beabadoobee - female vocal & guitar indie, wouldn't be out of place in a 90s indie compilation. Check out tracks "Last Day On Earth" and "Care".

Dry Cleaning - post-punk kinda sound with more of a spoken than sung vocal. Try "Scratchcard Lanyard".

First Aid Kit - Swedish sisters doing Americana-tinged folk. Great live, perfectly suited to a sunny afternoon. "My Silver Lining"

Gabriels - bit different, just recently come across them. Soul / blues / gospel sound, hoping to catch them on a small stage somewhere. "Blame" is a great song.

Sam Fender - I'm assuming you've picked up on him somewhere, but for guitary stuff he's def worth a listen if you haven't. Think some of the big Springsteen type numbers and you're not far away. "Hypersonic Missiles" from the first album and "Seventeen Going Under" from the new one.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Couple of suggestions (I think) worth a spin, although you might have tried these already:

Beabadoobee - female vocal & guitar indie, wouldn't be out of place in a 90s indie compilation. Check out tracks "Last Day On Earth" and "Care".

Dry Cleaning - post-punk kinda sound with more of a spoken than sung vocal. Try "Scratchcard Lanyard".

First Aid Kit - Swedish sisters doing Americana-tinged folk. Great live, perfectly suited to a sunny afternoon. "My Silver Lining"

Gabriels - bit different, just recently come across them. Soul / blues / gospel sound, hoping to catch them on a small stage somewhere. "Blame" is a great song.

Sam Fender - I'm assuming you've picked up on him somewhere, but for guitary stuff he's def worth a listen if you haven't. Think some of the big Springsteen type numbers and you're not far away. "Hypersonic Missiles" from the first album and "Seventeen Going Under" from the new one.

Great, thanks. I think I have heard Fender before (he's the geordie lad, right?). Love First Aid Kit and will definitely give the others a listen. The way you've described them definitely piques my interest. Gabriels in particular sound good, the description puts me in mind of Yola, who is brilliant (not on the lineup, but definitely worth a listen)

1 minute ago, TheNewUnion said:

Great, thanks. I think I have heard Fender before (he's the geordie lad, right?). Love First Aid Kit and will definitely give the others a listen. The way you've described them definitely piques my interest. Gabriels in particular sound good, the description puts me in mind of Yola, who is brilliant (not on the lineup, but definitely worth a listen)

Yep, that's Fender. Seeing him in Brighton at the end of the month so I'll come back with some thoughts!

Gabriels are a bit less upbeat than Yola, but seen some live clips that look good (think someone put one up on the vids to get you hyped thread). I reckon they'd be great in an old school smoky underground jazz club, but West Holts will do!

13 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

Meant to add Inhaler to the list as well. Frontman is Bono's son and you can hear the similarity in his vocals, but I think they're worth a listen on their own merits. "We Have To Move On" and "It Won't Always Be Like This" are great tracks.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Meant to add Inhaler to the list as well. Frontman is Bono's son and you can hear the similarity in his vocals, but I think they're worth a listen on their own merits. "We Have To Move On" and "It Won't Always Be Like This" are great tracks.

Inhaler are another Pukkelpop discovery from a few years back. They were pretty good Had a song which sounded a lot like The Bravery 

54 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

As a Neil fan, you should definitely enjoy Big Thief. Their latest album, the absurdly/brilliantly titled Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You, could cheekily be described as the best Neil Young album in years...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

You might already be aware of them but check out Phoebe Bridgers and Big Thief

and Amyl and the Sniffers if you are looking for some punk

1 minute ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

You might already be aware of them but check out Phoebe Bridgers and Big Thief

and Amyl and the Sniffers if you are looking for some punk

I'm on Amyl at the moment. Liking it a lot more than I expected, reminds me of some of the local bands I used to watch back when I was 17/18.

2 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

They are not original at all but they have good energy

There's times when I like original, and times when I'm happy with old stuff done well. They're definitely ticking that box atm 🙂

On 3/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, Ddiamondd said:

Let the hype pass me by last year, but the chance to scope her out has got me well and truly Rodrigo-pilled. Brutal clashes pending, I'm there.

Same here - passed her off as american pop nonsense but i'll definitely try and be there for her at the farm.

another +1 for Inhaler

Now I have got my tickets paid I am getting stuck into @Brave Sir Robin's playlist and I am finding all sorts of great stuff on it.  Getting so excited now!

Just discovered Khruangbin - great stuff.  I mean, feel the groove on this - 

They are now on my list to see.

I still standby my opinion that although far from weak, the headliners are rather disappointing to say the least for my tastes, but there is so much stuff just below that I am already getting stressed about the clashes that are going to occur.

• Like 1

Had @Brave Sir Robin’s Spotify playlist on shuffle to get me through a 3 hour round trip yesterday. 

Heard a tune I loved and it was by Green Tea Peng, someone I’ve actively avoided because of the god awful name. 

Anyway listened to her album today and it’s fantastic, kinda chilled out soulful melodic hip hop.

I’d imagine an early WH of Park slot, ideally the former so I can recline with a Brothers or 2. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nikkic said:

Had @Brave Sir Robin’s Spotify playlist on shuffle to get me through a 3 hour round trip yesterday. 

Heard a tune I loved and it was by Green Tea Peng, someone I’ve actively avoided because of the god awful name. 

Anyway listened to her album today and it’s fantastic, kinda chilled out soulful melodic hip hop.

I’d imagine an early WH of Park slot, ideally the former so I can recline with a Brothers or 2. 

I’m a fan too. Saw her at Latitude, she was ace. A Sunday spot, please!