Initial poster thoughts! (come on, everyone loves a poll..)

Freddyflintstonree

Initial poster thoughts! (come on, everyone loves a poll..)  

375 members have voted

1. 1. First impression of the line up?

• Unbelievably good
    • Great
    • It's OK
    • A bit disappointed
    • Crap

I'm on the 'it's OK' category. There's very few absolute must sees for me, even McCartney isn't a dead cert, I missed him in 2004 but I'm a little apprehensive as to how good he will be now (Similar with Diana Ross). Obviously I'm also ill-informed on modern pop.

But...I'm not complaining, the line up is less important to me than the festival as a whole, if I see fewer bands I can explore other entertainment I'd usually miss. I also spend more time in the smaller stages these days anyway.

4 hours ago, The Placid Casual 2 said:

No one on there who is particularly special below the top line. In the past we've had acts like Miley Cyrus, Motorhead & Katy Perry who make you go 'wow, that's a crazy booking' even if you don't like them but there's none of that this year. Aerosmith would've fit that bill, shame.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but personally I'm happier to miss out on that "wow" booking in return for looking through it and consistently seeing things that I'm looking forward to seeing.

Get what you mean though. Although with tour cancellations by the likes of Aerosmith there's nothing to say that they might not be working on a few of those in the background as later additions.

11 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I'm on the 'it's OK' category. There's very few absolute must sees for me, even McCartney isn't a dead cert, I missed him in 2004 but I'm a little apprehensive as to how good he will be now (Similar with Diana Ross). Obviously I'm also ill-informed on modern pop.

I think the legends slot can get away with it a bit more, they're Sunday tea time everyone knows they're usually a little bit over the hill (Kylie and Dolly excluded) but it's day 5 and we're just happy to have made it through and listen to some retro music.

• Like 1

I am happy with the initial poster, but remembering that that there is so much more to come, you cannot evaluate the ' line up' from just this first shot. Appreciate the poll was on this only so gave it an ' it's ok '.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:35 PM, gigpusher said:

No and I am the age of most of these people. Mid 40's, a teenager in the 90's and seriously loved a lot of the music at the time but too many people get old and stay listening to the music of their teenage years and complain about anything new not being as good. Every time I post that I am at a gig I get an awful lot of who are they? Never heard of them comments.

It's fine to indulge in a little bit of nostalgia every now and then but Glastonbury is a festival of contemporary performing arts and it's only right for them to move with the times. If people don't want to move with them it's time for them to get off not for Glastonbury to stop moving. I think Glastonbury has that balance spot on. 

Out of upvotes, but this, basically. 

• 2 weeks later...

The more and more I explore on the poster the more convinced I am that this is one of the most stacked lineups I’ve seen in a long time. Reminds me a bit of an Oxegen lineup from back in the day. 

Did anyone go to one of these? Looking back now it looks like a fake festival due to the placings of some of the acts! If you did I wanna know how the fuck you managed to deal with some of these clashes.

8CA9B8D0-4D8B-405B-93B7-791095CCEDD9.jpeg

17171A75-C29A-416E-95C4-0C4CE0917DC8.jpeg

Edited by Matt42

35 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The more and more I explore on the poster the more convinced I am that this is one of the most stacked lineups I’ve seen in a long time. Reminds me a bit of an Oxegen lineup from back in the day. 

Did anyone go to one of these? Looking back now it looks like a fake festival due to the placings of some of the acts! If you did I wanna know how the fuck you managed to deal with some of these clashes.

8CA9B8D0-4D8B-405B-93B7-791095CCEDD9.jpeg

I went to T in the Park that year, which shared many of the Oxegen acts. RIP that Slam Tent, oooosh

2010.07.10-poster-2 (1).jpg

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I went to Glasto and Leeds in 2010.

Wish I'd gone to Oxygen now looking at that.

The amount of future headliners / acts actually headlining other festivals in the Oxegen lineups is ridiculous. How on earth did they pull that off / afford it? Did all of these acts need an Irish date?

56 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I didn't go in later years, but had previously.

Given the layout there, I assume most people listened to everything at once whether they wanted to or not. It's a grim festival, regardless of who's playing. Exceptionally unpleasant security and arena setup, and the worst sound clashes you'll ever hear - basically every stage could hear every large stage, and the small stages got obliterated.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Wish I'd gone to Oxygen now looking at that.

You honestly don't.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt42 said:

The amount of future headliners / acts actually headlining other festivals in the Oxegen lineups is ridiculous. How on earth did they pull that off / afford it? Did all of these acts need an Irish date?

As SNC says, Oxegen was basically Ireland's equivalent to T (were they the same company?) so there was plenty of crossover. I'd imagine plenty of the big acts were booked as part of a two for one deal.

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

As SNC says, Oxegen was basically Ireland's equivalent to T (were they the same company?) so there was plenty of crossover. I'd imagine plenty of the big acts were booked as part of a two for one deal.

It’s just more the fact that they got acts like Arctic Monkeys to sub at a point where they were easily established headliners. 

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Probably chucked them a shit tonne of cash.

Yeah, certain festivals have always been able to place huge names in lower slots (Jay-Z supporting Kasabian at TITP in 2010 two years after he headlined Glastonbury!) by doing exactly this, probably enabled by significant sponsorship support. The one current festival that has a similar approach these days is Mad Cool. The pay-off of course is a festival plastered in corporate sponsorship, stages, VIP areas, etc. Some may disagree, I think it's worth it. TITP in 08 and 10 and Mad Cool in 2018 were stacked. If I want a less corporate festival, I know where to find it

Will we ever get another festival like those again? Looking back some of them are insane. But at the moment there's nothing on that level anymore, is it a thing of the past or could something like them come back at some point?

7 minutes ago, Miyn said:

Will we ever get another festival like those again? Looking back some of them are insane. But at the moment there's nothing on that level anymore, is it a thing of the past or could something like them come back at some point?

Glastonbury now is genuinely the closest.

I think it’s unlikely because there’s so many festivals now and acts can go wherever they get headline bookings. The Strokes for example go wherever someone will book them to headline.

40 minutes ago, Miyn said:

No one festival could afford all that these days.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Certainly not one without massive commercial backing and ridiculous ticket prices. 

Is it fair to say that mega lineups of this kind generally peaked between 2000 and 2010? Or are the dates different? Earlier?Later? 

Hard to say, I usually post the Leeds 2002 lineup as the gold standard of festival lineups.

Problem is that we are looking at them through the prism of history and spotting the acts who went on to be massive, which is something you can't really do now. Might be that we look at the G22 poster in a decade's time and wonder how they got so many acts that went on to be massive. 

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Certainly not one without massive commercial backing and ridiculous ticket prices. 

Is it fair to say that mega lineups of this kind generally peaked between 2000 and 2010? Or are the dates different? Earlier?Later? 

Idk man. Perhaps it’s a perspective / retrospective thing.

Olivia Rodrigo, Doja Cat, Megan The Stallion, Sam Fender, Glass Animals, HAIM, Lorde, Phoebe Bridgers all acts on the bill this year that are either

- Headlining smaller festivals already

- Playing big slots at festivals across the world

- On an upwards trajectory to become near headliners if they continue as they are.

I think quite a fair few people will look back at 2022 and go, fuck. That’s nuts. Some unlikely to become Glasto headliners but virtually all of them will headline something somewhere.

If Olivia’s second album is massive that booking will look insane. Getting her first before she becomes a new headliner.

Edited by Matt42