Initial poster thoughts! (come on, everyone loves a poll..)

Freddyflintstonree

Initial poster thoughts! (come on, everyone loves a poll..)  

375 members have voted

1. 1. First impression of the line up?

• Unbelievably good
    • Great
    • It's OK
    • A bit disappointed
    • Crap

5 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Taking this point on for a second, I wonder which year has seen the most future headliners on the bill?

I’d have to sit and study and it’s quite contextual but I’m pretty sure quite a few acts booked for 2011 have either headlined or gone on to headline other festivals. 

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s a difficult topic to address and it’s not like the festival is pushing these people out - but I think the one thing I respect the most about Glastonbury is they refuse to go down the same paths that IOW, Download etc have gone down. I think R&L have wised up to this recently too and seen some success - they are back to being as popular with youngsters as they used to be after a few shaky years.

The 90s / 00s had their time but you have to look to the future.

No and I am the age of most of these people. Mid 40's, a teenager in the 90's and seriously loved a lot of the music at the time but too many people get old and stay listening to the music of their teenage years and complain about anything new not being as good. Every time I post that I am at a gig I get an awful lot of who are they? Never heard of them comments.

It's fine to indulge in a little bit of nostalgia every now and then but Glastonbury is a festival of contemporary performing arts and it's only right for them to move with the times. If people don't want to move with them it's time for them to get off not for Glastonbury to stop moving. I think Glastonbury has that balance spot on. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I love that Glastonbury are happily broadening their horizons. To those saying they don't like the line up I always say if you are lucky over the weekend you'll be lucky to see about 20 acts and if you can't find 20 things that you like on a Glastonbury line up then you probably don't really like music. Too many on social media seem stuck in the 90's. I'm really glad the festival isn't. This is definitely a forward looking line up. 

I think this is just what happens to a lot of people as they get older. It’s a physiological thing, people are always nostalgic for things during the period they felt the best in their lives, it often means being stuck liking the same music or wearing the same clothes as a result. We all do it to some degree but the trick is to try not to. No doubt when the 2009 lineup came out there were people saying that lineups in the 90s were a lot better.

There are plenty of festivals out there for specific genres and eras of music to cater for people that want that and that only, but Glastonbury is (thankfully) never going to stand still. I just hope I never become one of those people harking back to old line ups!

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think this is just what happens to a lot of people as they get older. It’s a physiological thing, people are always nostalgic for things during the period they felt the best in their lives, it often means being stuck liking the same music or wearing the same clothes as a result. We all do it to some degree but the trick is to try not to. No doubt when the 2009 lineup came out there were people saying that lineups in the 90s were a lot better.

There are plenty of festivals out there for specific genres and eras of music to cater for people that want that and that only, but Glastonbury is (thankfully) never going to stand still. I just hope I never become one of those people harking back to old line ups!

Lol see my reply that I was typing at the same time as you. I don't ever want to be one of those people either!!

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

There are plenty of festivals out there for specific genres and eras of music to cater for people that want that and that only, but Glastonbury is (thankfully) never going to stand still. I just hope I’m never one of theirs people harking back to old line ups!

I think what annoys me is that Glastonbury does still cater to older generations. I don’t like this argument they don’t from some Facebook users. I mean Macca, Diana, Robert Plant, Primal Scream, Crowded House, Herbie Hancock, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Pet Shop Boys, Skunk Anansie, Supergrass, The Waterboys is pretty good going covering the heritage quota.

Way more than some festival goers would get elsewhere. 

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I think what annoys me is that Glastonbury does still cater to older generations. I don’t like this argument they don’t from some Facebook users. I mean Macca, Diana, Robert Plant, Primal Scream, Crowded House, Herbie Hancock, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Pet Shop Boys, Skunk Anansie, Supergrass, The Waterboys is pretty good going covering the heritage quota.

You should probably stop reading Facebook Matt. I’m not sure it’s god for you.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

You should probably stop reading Facebook Matt. I’m not sure it’s god for you.

I don’t actually have Facebook. All I see from it is the comments people share here.

Should probably have said Twitter. 

It wasn't around but I imagine if social media was bigger in the 90s - early 2000s you'd of had everyone up in arms at Radiohead headlining in 97, Muse headlining in 04 and Arctics off of one album. People just like complaining, they're the loudest and its the comments we're most drawn to.

There is no reason to discuss seeing all the people saying a thing is good, if you also think its good, but if you see someone saying its bad, it confuses you and makes you want to question it, this makes it seem a bigger thing/majority than it actually is.

I've seen a bunch of people, even on Glasto Chat, saying its one of the best in almost a decade.

Edited by chazwwe

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Lol see my reply that I was typing at the same time as you. I don't ever want to be one of those people either!!

I find myself retreating more and more into the comfort blanket of 90’s/00’s nostalgia as I get older. Finding new stuff to like is exhausting!

That said, the two sets I’m probably most hyped for all festival are Kendrick and Simz.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yes that's what I mean there's a healthy mix for everyone. I think some people think they should genuinely love every name on the bill but that would be a nightmare scenario. How would you pick who to go and see? Not everyone on that line up is for me but I'd say there's a good 50 I'd be happy to see. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes that's what I mean there's a healthy mix for everyone. I think some people think they should genuinely love every name on the bill but that would be a nightmare scenario. How would you pick who to go and see? Not everyone on that line up is for me but I'd say there's a good 50 I'd be happy to see. 

I’m going to have this issue, genuinely, the lineup is stacked I am still trying to process it.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I find myself retreating more and more into the comfort blanket of 90’s/00’s nostalgia as I get older. Finding new stuff to like is exhausting!

That said, the two sets I’m probably most hyped for all festival are Kendrick and Simz.

I think this is a big thing actually music requires a bit of an investment of time. I've had periods where I have been busy and kind of fell out of step with some new music. I credit Glastonbury with giving me my love of music back in 2010 as my early 20's I worked 12 hour days and Saturdays to get savings to get my house and stopped listening a lot to music. This year I haven't listened as much either but I always put 6 Music on as my back up now. 

Edited by gigpusher

13 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Ha yeah I read that just after I’d posted, basically saying the same thing. Funnily enough I’m 40 as well but basically think exactly the same as you. 

I'm in my 50's (I Know!!) And also think the same as you both. My music range has expanded as I have got older where as , as has been said, some of my peers only listen to stuff we did in our teens and twenties 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

It would freak me out if there was too much in the first drop lineup that I would have to see.

I think I have 40 I would like to see, haven't worked out my 'wants' and 'musts' yet. But thats with acts like Foals/Billie, Kendrick/PSB. Who I know are going to clash, so I can already knock a few ones off and then that'll be my must list. 

My musts I normally try to stick to 3 a day, 1 headliner/sub headliner and a one I 'must' see during the day, and then I filter in my bands from my list with how my mood is, the area I am to my 'must see's. It worked really well in 2019 and I wasn't running around the whole site like I used to, I spent way more time in the areas I was seeing a band I wanted to see. 

It's absolutely shocking reading people on Twitter speaking about the line up. I may live in a different world but I think it's really impossible to say that line up is shit or gargage unless you have no idea about music at all. And it's not just 2/3 people, @LADbible posted it and the replies are 😳

Edited by AlexOvd

2 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

It's absolutely shocking reading people on Twitter speaking about the line up. I may live in a different world but I think it's really impossible to say that line up is shit or gargage unless you have no idea about music at all. And it's not just 2/3 people, @LADbible posted it and the replies are 😳

I genuinely would love to know what these people want. It does boggle my mind, I saw a few twitter posts saying 'People pay £350 for just this?' Just people with no background information of what the festival even is.

1 minute ago, AlexOvd said:

It's absolutely shocking reading people on Twitter speaking about the line up. I may live in a different world but I think it's really impossible to say that line up is shit or gargage unless you have no idea about music at all.

Think you have answered your own question there. Some people who still go to the festival genuinely haven't listened to new music (with the exception of what their kids put on and they moan about) in about 20 years. There's always just about enough heritage stuff there for them but it's getting harder as some what we call heritage acts now are younger than they music they listen to. 

I think it’s a great first poster but am also trying to contain my excitement for anyone specific until we get the clashfinder, I’ve been burnt too many times before by getting too excited by all the names on the first poster (2016 I’m looking at you)…

11 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think this is a big thing actually music requires a bit of an investment of time. I've had periods where I have been busy and kind of fell out of step with some new music. I credit Glastonbury with giving me my love of music back in 2010 as my early 20's I worked 12 hour days and Saturdays to get savings to get my house and stopped listening a lot to music. This year I haven't listened as much either but I always put 6 Music on as my back up now. 

Glastonbury is mainly what keeps me in touch with new music. It’s not because I otherwise don’t want to, but I don’t have any social media and I don’t listen to any commercial Radio, so it’s really just me and my Spotify. I might stumble across something I like by accident, but at my age I don’t know really know anyone else who is going to share new stuff I might like. So when the Glastonbury line up comes out I spend a great deal of time listening to the acts I don’t know and I invariably uncover a fair few that I like.

10 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

I want to say a lot of them are jealous cus they don't have a ticket, but sadly I have heard similar sentiment from people I know who are going. 

I don't have a ticket but I think the line up is brilliant.