The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

The mud in 2016 was great because no one went near the food stalls around the West Holts for breakfast so there were no queues.

Again, because of how nice its been since then (5 years in a row!) this year is likely going to be muddy. Its common sense people. Use your brains. 

We need a bad year in all honesty. Too many people trying for tickets these days.

Weather similar to 2007 would be nice for this year. Throw in the ground conditions from 2016 and we should be good.

This post probably belongs in the controversial opinions thread. 

23 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

I was sat in the nearby snug in the shade drinking frozen margs with my sister in law, while my husband and his friend went to watch Fontaines. When they emerged sweaty and furious we knew we’d made the right call giving it a miss.

I’m firmly in club 2019 was too hot - 2017 was perfect weather for me.

To be honest, I hovered near the door so I could hear but not see a great deal.  What limited air circulation there was was needed around the nether regions as a much higher priority than an immersive mosh pit band experience.

I was probably staring longingly in your general direction as you enjoyed the frozen margs.  That was my most intense stamina couple of days at a festival in many a year. Got to bed at 4am sat morning - up at 6 and on long drop shift with WaterAid at 06:30 through to 12:30 and then straight to the Pyramid for opener on the hottest day of the year.  Cant remember much about Saturday into Sunday but stayed up all night Sunday and then headed for train.  intense but mega

2017 Thursday to Monday was perfect but the Wednesday in isolation was a problem. Too tiring to explore after getting all set up and the pint to water ratio was a solid 1:1 by mid-afternoon. Looking at my photos we ended up crashing in Avalon and talking about the Seahawks with some strangers:

image.thumb.jpeg.b346d9647040ee94a14863069609e288.jpeg

Ideally you want dry in the run up, mid-to-low 20s on the Wednesday (with a breeze) then ramping up through to high 20s and unbroken sun on Sunday afternoon. Obvious NFRNFC but a few spots from 1am to 5am help to keep the dust down and prevent the whole situation building up to major thunderstorms. Perfect.

16 minutes ago, Drinky said:

Ideally you want dry in the run up, mid-to-low 20s on the Wednesday (with a breeze) then ramping up through to high 20s and unbroken sun on Sunday afternoon. Obvious NFRNFC but a few spots from 1am to 5am help to keep the dust down and prevent the whole situation building up to major thunderstorms. Perfect.

Absolutely - in 2017 I only remember it raining once which was overnight Friday into Saturday which to be honest was perfect because it gave us an excuse to head to bed at about 1am - we got a solid 8 hours too because it was still overcast until mid-morning Saturday, which was perfect recovery from the Thursday night all nighter and set us up nicely for the Saturday night all nighter 😂

2 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Did anyone go to the Fontaines DC set in Williams Green on Saturday afternoon in 2019?  That was next level uncomfortable. incredible

I had to leave during the first track, was like a furnace in there!

I like it hot, but 2019 was too much. I get dehydrated really easily, so I ended up really ill in the early hours of Saturday morning. Stocked up on rehydration sachets and electrolyte drinks for this year!

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I was in Snapped Ankles beforehand, but let's keep a sense of proportion - yes it was warm in there, but hardly impossible to last through. Pints were still being quaffed.

Indeed. Still owe you that pint.

The worst thing ws the smell of baking mud tbh. 

3 hours ago, duke88 said:

I like it hot, but 2019 was too much. I get dehydrated really easily, so I ended up really ill in the early hours of Saturday morning. Stocked up on rehydration sachets and electrolyte drinks for this year!

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I was in Snapped Ankles beforehand, but let's keep a sense of proportion - yes it was warm in there, but hardly impossible to last through. Pints were still being quaffed.

I was at both SA and FDC too.  that was absolutely brutal, you're right.  Even during fontaines I remember Carlos playing half the set with his face in front of a fan. 

12 minutes ago, Larraht said:

Surely I can't the only one thinking that May has been so rubbish, grey and cold (it's May and I'm still in jumpers?!) that June (particularly the end) will be wall to wall sunshine? That must be the way it works. 

This yep, still been leaving the house in a coat in the morning, nothing wrong with getting a few showers out of the way between now and then.

25 minutes ago, Larraht said:

Surely I can't the only one thinking that May has been so rubbish, grey and cold (it's May and I'm still in jumpers?!) that June (particularly the end) will be wall to wall sunshine? That must be the way it works. 

May 2016 in the south west had below average rainfall and above average sunshine.

Most of June was ok too until the week of the festival......

5 hours ago, duke88 said:

Yep! Had to move back outside towards the end as being directly in the sun was preferable to being in the tent.

Shame a few hours later was far more enjoyable. And barely anyone was there so plenty of room for activities.

5 hours ago, Olshansky said:

I was at both SA and FDC too.  that was absolutely brutal, you're right.  Even during fontaines I remember Carlos playing half the set with his face in front of a fan. 

It was just about manageable during SA but not exactly fun. Buggered off before Fontaines as we'd already seen them in JP the day before. Did I miss much?

10 hours ago, Mardy said:

2010, 2017 and 2019 all ideal. All this talk of ‘too hot’ is fucking cobblers. Have a word. 

also @The Nalneeds to up his fucking game here if the festival is to stand a chance

Here here. Anyone who’s been there in Somme conditions would agree.

Fri/Sat in 2010 were as hot as 2019 - pushing 30 degrees - just don’t think the full 5 days were overall as hot and dry. Still remember walking away from Snoop at the Pyramid feeling close to sunstroke and with a huge dry mouth. Then getting a proper heat stroke wobble later that day, despite a combo of factor 30, much water and a few cold ciders. 

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

You can have too wet, and you can also have too hot. Centrists of the world unite.

Agreed. 30 degrees + is too hot. Any rain at all is too wet. Let no one say I’m incapable of compromise.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We'll find that out if it ever happens.

Saturday afternoon 2019 was 32 degrees I think? I remember melting watching Mattiel at the Park, then going for cold cans of water at the bar and the guy serving telling me it was 32 in the shade.