Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

3 hours ago, henry bear said:

Took Mrs b to see Manilow last night. Wasn’t really looking forward to it (to say the least), and looking at the setlist there were loads I didn’t know. How wrong I was. At 79 the pipes are in great working order and he’s an amazing showman. And it turned out that nearly all the songs were familiar. They’ll have missed a trick if he’s not booked for Glasto legend, and soon.

8E744F83-B45B-45AF-B9C0-6291008F75D9.jpeg

Saw him a few years back. He came on to Right Here Right Now, we were given glowsticks and 3D spex and then he dueted Mandy...with himself!

They gotta get him at Glastonbury. Copacabana is an incredible song.

Just got back from watching Walter Trout in Frome.He was amazingly mind blowingly good.

Shame he isn’t playing Glastonbury considering he’s literally playing 10 miles away on the eve of the festival.

Great pre festival gig.

Oh, and if you think I’m mad for going to a gig just before the festival, this is the fourth rearranged date, originally got the ticket with a Ticketmaster voucher from my aunt for Xmas

(merry Xmas 2019 Aunty)

13 hours ago, henry bear said:

Took Mrs b to see Manilow last night. Wasn’t really looking forward to it (to say the least), and looking at the setlist there were loads I didn’t know. How wrong I was. At 79 the pipes are in great working order and he’s an amazing showman. And it turned out that nearly all the songs were familiar. They’ll have missed a trick if he’s not booked for Glasto legend, and soon.

8E744F83-B45B-45AF-B9C0-6291008F75D9.jpeg

Well, #RightBazza was ultimately a bit disappointing, so maybe #WrongBazza is the man for the job after all. I’d check him out, clashes notwithstanding. I’d want Bermuda Triangle on the setlist of course.

Was meant to be at Manilow in Glasgow, but they moved it to tomorrow night so obviously it got d@bbed down. Will find out from my wife what it was like, but would expect it to be a riot.

Though I don't subscribe to #RightBazza I being a disappointment. His crowd may have been hit a wee bit due to the scheduling clash with c**to and the lads' secret set in the JPT, but the performance itself was easily up there with the likes of Lionel, Dolly, etc

Alanis Morissette at the O2 last night with Beth Orton supporting.

Beth was OK, definitely took a few songs for her voice to warm up properly.  Felt a bit lost in the O2, the volume needed to fill it just didn't seem to suit her voice that well. Will probably see her at Beautiful Days, so looking forward to hearing her in a smaller more intimate venue.

Alanis was fantastic. Band was tight, crowd was into it and her voice was bang on. Was absolutely bone-tired after Glastonbury and probably would have binned it off and sold the ticket if it was just me, but was going with Mrs Q so stuck with it. Good job I did as well, great night.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Attended both nights of Pearl Jam at BST, first time seeing them and going with two mates who are fanatical fans. They are a band that have been high on my wish list for a while and so was really looking forward to this weekend. 

have heard mixed reports about Hyde Park, we had 10 club tickets , so we’re in front of the stage. Must say the I thought the set up was fantastic, we bit pricey for things but couldn’t fault anything.

on to Pearl Jam! They were incredible! Absolutely blew me away both nights! Everything is heard about them live and more! Only duplicated 1 song over the 2 nights, which for the die hards was great!

On them headlining Glastonbury one day, absolutely!  They would knock it out the park! I do get it would them playing a hit friendly show, but I think they’d get that. 

• Upvote 1

Midnight Oil at the Roundhouse last night was probably better than they were in Hammersmith '17. New material went down exceedingly well, possibly helped by the fact they frontloaded it.

Sad to see this is their last jaunt around. A back-end run of Blue Sky Mine Power and the Passion → Beds Are Burning → Best of Both Worlds → Forgotten Years is about as hits-heavy as you get from them, so few will likely feel shortchanged.

(Forever rue I missed the Diesel and Dust in full performance on that second Hammersmith night.)

Am in Rome. Saw Måneskin last night, 14 months after getting into their music. I had a ticket for Brixton Academy, but that got postponed due to Covid.

They played Circo Massimo, an astonishing venue, where I had seen Bruce Springsteen previously. Sold out crowd of 70,000. They played for 2.5 hours. Absolutely incredible. Nothing fancy: Guitar, bass, drums and the most charismatic frontman around. Fantastic.

F02AFE2E-A832-4BD9-B799-AFA22BDC2F71.jpeg

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Am in Rome. Saw Måneskin last night, 14 months after getting into their music. I had a ticket for Brixton Academy, but that got postponed due to Covid.

They played Circo Massimo, an astonishing venue, where I had seen Bruce Springsteen previously. Sold out crowd of 70,000. They played for 2.5 hours. Absolutely incredible. Nothing fancy: Guitar, bass, drums and the most charismatic frontman around. Fantastic.

F02AFE2E-A832-4BD9-B799-AFA22BDC2F71.jpeg

Looks like a lively affair!

5 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

Saw the mighty fine DMA's at Scarborough spa last night, a fab evening, place was absolutely bouncing

the bar situation was a joke though, hour long queues.  

I've never been to the Spa there. Been to the Spa at Bridlington though. The former any good?

4 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I've never been to the Spa there. Been to the Spa at Bridlington though. The former any good?

sound wise it was very good but Scarborough spa rarely has decent bands on & doesn't have the facilities for a biggish crowd, only 3 small bars & 1 lot of toilets so was a beer free night for me.  

brid spa definitely a bigger & better venue

The scarborough open air theatre however is a class venue,  get really good acts on, been to see Sam Fender, & crowded house there recently,  Elbow played last night & Tears for fears this coming saturday 

2 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

sound wise it was very good but Scarborough spa rarely has decent bands on & doesn't have the facilities for a biggish crowd, only 3 small bars & 1 lot of toilets so was a beer free night for me.  

brid spa definitely a bigger & better venue

The scarborough open air theatre however is a class venue,  get really good acts on, been to see Sam Fender, & crowded house there recently,  Elbow played last night & Tears for fears this coming saturday 

Hopefully off to the Open Air Theatre for Tom Jones in a few weeks. We'll see!

I went to go see the Pixies on Tuesday which was really good night. I am not so very good on my feet I need to walk with a stick and I managed to find the seat at the back but people were dancing in front of me and I couldn't see the band. The people were really apologetic although I was quite content and at the end of the night the even bought me a couple of beers as the been blocking my view. Awesome night

Went to see Olivia Rodrigo at the Eventim Apollo on the final night of the Sour tour the other day.

Immense show, she really is going all the way to mega stardom. The atmosphere was electric too, although the screaming of thousands of teenage girls just about burst my eardrum.

I think she is doing arenas minimum next time she is over, venue was far too small for her but I rate the decision to take on smaller venues for now to get some stage experience under her belt. 

14 hours ago, blue6field said:

Attended both nights of Pearl Jam at BST, first time seeing them and going with two mates who are fanatical fans. They are a band that have been high on my wish list for a while and so was really looking forward to this weekend. 

have heard mixed reports about Hyde Park, we had 10 club tickets , so we’re in front of the stage. Must say the I thought the set up was fantastic, we bit pricey for things but couldn’t fault anything.

on to Pearl Jam! They were incredible! Absolutely blew me away both nights! Everything is heard about them live and more! Only duplicated 1 song over the 2 nights, which for the die hards was great!

On them headlining Glastonbury one day, absolutely!  They would knock it out the park! I do get it would them playing a hit friendly show, but I think they’d get that. 

Wonderful to hear this. Glad you had a great time.

I was also at both nights but am very much a die hard fan. This was my 9th and 10th PJ shows. I just love this band. The immense back catalogue is one thing, but they have just never let me down. They always play with such passion and sincerity. I remain utterly convinced that they would triumph atop the pyramid. I’ve seen one of their ‘hits’ shows at Mad Cool and they know how to play to a festival.

Also agree about Hyde Park. Previously I’ve hated it, mostly due to flat crowds. But everything this weekend was top. Logistics and everything worked well and everyone seemed really into it, atmosphere was great.

• Upvote 2

I know this is from a gig from years ago (think it was 2009) but I took a mate along to see The Brian Jonestown Massacre at Sheffield Leadmill.

He just stood there silent throughout the entire gig, at the end he turned and said, "I genuinely can't decide if that was the very worst gig I have ever been too or the greatest gig I've ever been too" 😄 

7 minutes ago, sfroml said:

I know this is from a gig from years ago (think it was 2009) but I took a mate along to see The Brian Jonestown Massacre at Sheffield Leadmill.

He just stood there silent throughout the entire gig, at the end he turned and said, "I genuinely can't decide if that was the very worst gig I have ever been too or the greatest gig I've ever been too" 😄 

They do have that effect sometimes!

Off to Haim and Tears for Fears, touch wood, later this week. Seen both before, the former in the particularly miserable shoebox of Sheffield's O2 Academy, on what was a rather underwhelming night. Hope this will be a better affair if I get down.

37 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

They do have that effect sometimes!

Off to Haim and Tears for Fears, touch wood, later this week. Seen both before, the former in the particularly miserable shoebox of Sheffield's O2 Academy, on what was a rather underwhelming night. Hope this will be a better affair if I get down.

I quite like the Sheffield Academy, been to a few decent gigs there. Off to a Punk weekend festival there the first weekend in October. 

3 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Off down to the Somerset House series later on. Anyone ever been? How are the logistics?

I went a few years back to see Parcels, I remember thinking it wasn't too crowded considering the size of the venue. Cool place for a gig and bar queues weren't too bad either