Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

18 hours ago, zzzfest2.0 said:

Kacey Musgraves at the O2 Academy Glasgow on Friday.

I am certain 99% of the audience members left the venue, feeling uplifted and happy. Kacey and the band were fantastic.

What would have been a fun and feel-good evening, however, ended up as an extremely frustrating experience for me, and, presumably, those unlucky few on my adjacent seats.

I was on the balcony. As it was non-reserved, I went there early enough to secure a good vantage point. There is only one aisle running through the centre (besides the very right and left sides of both blocks), and I managed an centre aisle seat, seventh row counting from the front. Not only a good view being guaranteed, but also I wouldn’t have to wade through a row of people whenever I wanted to leave the seat and come back. I thought I got the best position on the balcony. Boy was I wrong.

While people were entering the balcony and looking for where to sit, a security guy was standing on the aisle by my side, assisting them in finding their seats. Nothing wrong with that. 

Then. Madi Diaz, the support act, took the stage and started the solo performance, singing and strumming the guitar. During her set that lasted for about half an hour, the security guy stood at the  bottom end of the centre aisle, the very front spot, turning his back against the stage, facing and observing the balcony crowd.

I could see the singer/songwriter delivering her songs, but felt the security guy was so distracting, an eyesore. Nonetheless, I put up with this uncomfortable situation, hoping he would not be there when the main act was onstage. My optimism turned out to be unfounded. The security guy stayed there during Kacey’s show, watching over the crowd, left, right and centre, from beginning to end, blocking roughly 1/3 of the stage view. Claiming this was frustrating would be an understatement. Worse still, I assume there were some others who couldn’t see Kacey for the most part of the show, depending on their positions.

Why the venue allowed this sh*t to happen is beyond me. I have taken a seat in the similar spot a few times before at this venue, but never experienced anything like this. Is this an aftermath of the recent terrorism at the rock concert in Russia?

I turned around and tried to locate an empty seat in the back if I could change the seat, but due to the night being completely sold out, all the seats were seemingly occupied as far as I could see so I gave up and had to be contented with where I was.

At the end of the day, I count this as one of those sh*t evenings a frequent concert goer hits and suffers from by chance or with bad luck once in a while and cannot avoid 100%.

IMG_9384.jpeg

IMG_9387.jpeg

IMG_9389.jpeg

That's dreadful!

Have you shared this with the Academy itself? Might be just be ill thought out and easily remedied for future shows. I assume like our Academy, the audience aren't allowed to stand on the balcony, so why should anybody else?

3 hours ago, Padjeq said:

That's dreadful!

Have you shared this with the Academy itself? Might be just be ill thought out and easily remedied for future shows. I assume like our Academy, the audience aren't allowed to stand on the balcony, so why should anybody else?

I haven’t contacted the venue yet.

I’ll consider that, though.

Maybe it’s about time to start a new topic, the “Your sh*t experience at a gig” thread…

IMG_2792.thumb.jpeg.bdfa8eb40b70ab8eeab6f80607dfb72c.jpeg

Dea Matrona at Night and Day Cafe, Manchester last night, sensational performance, probably the best I’ve ever seen them (and I’ve been to a good few gigs now).

Also reminded me just how brilliant this little venue is. To think, we nearly lost it to red tape when Manchester City Council spend £60k of public money chasing ridiculous noise abatement measures after a local resident bought by a flat next door to a club/live music venue and then didn’t like the noise! 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Clapton last night in Dublin. Insanely loud given the demo of the crowd. He shredded the place to bits. Shocked at how good he sounded for a 79 year old man with health issues. An absolute master.

Not my vid

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Clapton last night in Dublin. Insanely loud given the demo of the crowd. 

maybe it was precisely because of the demo of the crowd (assume you mean because everyone was old? 🙂 )

i've seen just about every metal band out there, i've stood in front of massive speaker stacks at dub nights...

... but the LOUDEST gig i've ever been to was Alfie Boe!

i always assumed the reason for this was because the average age of the the audience was probably like 82 or something so he just turned it up to 11 as everyone's hearing was knackered!

• Upvote 1

A bit late but I went to see Tourist at Trinity in Bristol last week.

I thought he was incredible. He’s got so many tunes now that his set was packed. Would definitely recommend 

Think he’d go down a storm at big G

Saw The Frost Children at Camden Underworld last night and they blew the roof off. They were supporting themselves, as they put out two very different sounding albums last year, so you had the more mellow vibey Frost Park incarnation followed by the high-octane rave of their Speed Run material. Love the records and their live sound hits hard. Highly recommended and I hope they wind up at G one day.IMG_3900.thumb.jpeg.90d680abd2b93986d2cd06d5b4747bce.jpeg 

19 hours ago, rwoo said:

A bit late but I went to see Tourist at Trinity in Bristol last week.

I thought he was incredible. He’s got so many tunes now that his set was packed. Would definitely recommend 

Think he’d go down a storm at big G

Was at this too - so so good! 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 2:22 PM, panda97 said:

Olivia Rodrigo at the O2 last night, great performance, her stage presence it leaps and bounds ahead of the Sour tour, she has grown so much as a performer and puts on a fantastic show 

Saw her last night (17th) at the O2 and thought she was bloody brilliant! The atmosphere in the arena with all of the crowd singing along was quite something.

On 5/15/2024 at 6:34 PM, charlierc said:

Well I see they've finally got around to declaring it safe enough to host stuff.

Anyone in town for this last night?

Was there for this myself. Band on superb form. Big thing for me about the venue was the sound quality. Absolutely crystal. Massive floor standing area. Rest of it just like any other arena.

Tram situation not great. Walked back into town on the under-lit towpath down the canal. That is going to be an absolute danger zone. Imagine it’ll be like hook-a-duck after the Liam Gallagher gig trying to get people out. 

IMG_1519.jpeg

Lottery Winners at Gloucester Guildhall tonight. Thought I'd go along and see what the fuss was about, given the rave reviews on here. I've got their last album and liked it, but wasn't sure what to expect. 

They played 2 sets. The first (sort of) acoustic - which was basically them dicking about on stage for 45 minutes. Then an hour of a proper set.

My verdict - Wow! They certainly lived up to the hype! Super energetic and great fun. One of the best gigs I've seen in years. My poor old legs are knackered, which is usually a good sign after a gig. I don't think they will play a venue as small as the Guildhall again, although they seemed to be having a ball, so who knows?

They should deffo be playing one of the big stages at Glastonbury, not just Leftfield. I think the Eavi have missed a trick this year!

On 5/16/2024 at 2:22 PM, panda97 said:

Olivia Rodrigo at the O2 last night, great performance, her stage presence it leaps and bounds ahead of the Sour tour, she has grown so much as a performer and puts on a fantastic show 

On 5/18/2024 at 5:06 PM, cdm22 said:

Saw her last night (17th) at the O2 and thought she was bloody brilliant! The atmosphere in the arena with all of the crowd singing along was quite something.

We went to Antwerp last night and it was incredible. I liked the songs before but wouldn't have called myself a big fan. The atmosphere was one of the best I've ever seen, could barely hear her during the big songs, and her voice was so good during the slower ones. 

As for Glastonbury headliner, I reckon maybe a couple more big hits from album 3 and it'll be time. I enjoy acoustic style ballads but it could be argued there was a lull in the middle, definitely if it was a festival set.

Edited by efcfanwirral

I saw Fabiana Palladino yesterday at Village Underground. On first listen I really liked her album, and there was a bit of buzz about it so I booked tickets. But by the time the concert came around I'd tired of it, and in concert the monotony of her songs, offering little variation in mood or tempo, made for an uninspiring experience. She's a relaxed and engaging presence when interacting with the audience between songs, and her voice is OK, but those songs just aren't good enough. There are a couple that really stand out, and you can imagine them slipping pretty seamlessly into Janet Jackson's Control, an album she has clearly listened to more than a few times. But most of them I could more reasonably see in a bonus second disc of outtakes and rejects from Five Star's Silk & Steel. The show may have improved towards the end, to be fair - it had been a long day, and I wasn't there to see it.

21 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Amazing. Can't wait for Wembley

neither can i!!!!

i'm sat back at my desk today, and i have that total "post glastonbury blues"...  feeling... you know that feeling where you sort of feel empty inside after you have to come down again after witnessing something so f**king amazing!!!

i must admit i was a little apprehensive about Sunderland... the Cardiff gig was so brilliant i was worried it would only be downhill from there... thankfully i was very very wrong in that worry... even the atrocious weather didnt matter... if anything it actually added to it!!!

sorry for rambling... just still buzzing....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

neither can i!!!!

i'm sat back at my desk today, and i have that total "post glastonbury blues"...  feeling... you know that feeling where you sort of feel empty inside after you have to come down again after witnessing something so f**king amazing!!!

i must admit i was a little apprehensive about Sunderland... the Cardiff gig was so brilliant i was worried it would only be downhill from there... thankfully i was very very wrong in that worry... even the atrocious weather didnt matter... if anything it actually added to it!!!

I get that often after gigs, especially Springsteen. He puts on the most amazing shows. Manchester 2016 was my favourite so far but from the reviews of this run of shows the last couple of weeks that may change in July!

1 hour ago, -TLR- said:

neither can i!!!!

Totally agree about the weather. It wasn't going to put me off regardless as Springsteen playing my hometown is a once in a generation thing, but when we walked out and opened it Waiting On A Sunny Day (my favourite song of his for many years) it just became one of the most special gigs I've ever attended. Absolutely magical night