Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

12 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Ok cheers. I’ve just checked and there’s 7 rows behind us and looking at photos of the view from equivalent seats on ‘view from my seat’ I should be ok. I’m sorry your experience of the Principality Stadium wasn’t great - I’m a bit biased I guess as it’s my ‘local’ stadium, but generally I do like it as a venue. The sound is usually good, as opposed to Wembley which can be hit and miss. The catering isn’t great admittedly, and yes - bloody expensive as per

Hopefully you'll be ok, I try to avoid stadium gigs generally but had a moment of weakness. Nice weekend in Cardiff, though. 

Just realised I haven’t done reviews of my last 2 gigs and as I have 2 this week I best catch up. 

First was The Showhawk Duo supported very ably by Mellowmatic. They are both Glastonbury staples and were as always great fun. The set list is pretty much the same apart from the classical medley at the end which was fabulous. 

The second was Nadine Shah at New Century Hall. She’s sounding fabulous and the new album is great live. If you get the opportunity to see her live I would highly recommend it. 

IMG_6062.jpeg

IMG_6064.jpeg

IMG_6139.jpeg

IMG_6145.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Also, I went to see Dionne Warwick at the Chelt Jazz Festival. Great to see her and she was fab. I would say however, she wouldn't be up for a legend slot in the coming years. Shame, but she needs to be in smaller venues now and needs to sing carefully.

14 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Also, I went to see Dionne Warwick at the Chelt Jazz Festival. Great to see her and she was fab. I would say however, she wouldn't be up for a legend slot in the coming years. Shame, but she needs to be in smaller venues now and needs to sing carefully.

I caught her last night in Edinburgh and think she'd still do very well in a Pyramid Slot. Something less high profile than the legend, but something after lunch on the Friday or Saturday would be great 

Her current show is more promo for the documentary than an actual gig and is overlong and a bit self-aggrandising.

But her voice was in better shape than I expected - I agree about her having to sing carefully and there's definitely some aging taken place, hardly surprising when shes now 83 - but on the whole she could still hit the notes.

And of course the tunes are amazing and she's still sharp enough and witty enough to pull it off.

GNAZl70XEAAqy9V?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

Yes, I read a review on one her dates that was more of a Q&A and a few songs, but at Cheltenham we got a pretty much straight up hour long gig, with her son helping out on a few. She chatted between songs, but nothing drawn out.

The right festival crowd would carry her, I'm sure, but I dont see it happening. 

I went to see Darius Rucker last Sunday night at the O2 Academy, Leeds. 

Darius and his support Tyler Booth were both great, however the venue was too full making it very uncomfortable.

Someone from the Balcony had tweeted the venue and Darius before he came on and Darius actually called them out from stage saying “someone’s said we’ve sold too many tickets, that’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard” which wasn’t very cool.

Don’t think I’ll be returning the venue, especially for a sold out show.

On 4/22/2024 at 11:31 PM, wosman said:

Swim School supported by Lizzie Esau at Hull Adelphi last night, really good, think they will be playing bigger venues soon so catch them while you can, Wolf Alicey vibes if that's your bag

Saw Swim School in Glasgow last week and they were great. Think they’ve got a good future ahead of them. The front woman was superb.

• Upvote 1

Olivia Rodrigo at Glasgow Hydro last night. Real shame she’s not headlining Glastonbury this year as she absolutely has the chops for it. More stage presence than I thought she’d have and an absolutely brilliant crowd.

IMG_0561.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Though I dunno if she could pull this off over the Pyramid crowd 😆

IMG_0564.jpeg

I mean Muse were told no to bringing their drones so the precedent isn't there.

Shame as that looks like a cool set-piece. Though tricky to hang it off thin air I guess.

15 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Olivia Rodrigo at Glasgow Hydro last night. Real shame she’s not headlining Glastonbury this year as she absolutely has the chops for it. More stage presence than I thought she’d have and an absolutely brilliant crowd.

Was there last night and agree it's a when not an if.  I still assume she was asked after Stevie dipped.

did anyone on here go to Bruce in Belfast last night?

the setlist was essentially the same as Cardiff (there were three changes i think, one of which was Land of Hope and Dreams which is up there with my all time favorite Bruce songs).

i've heard differing reports of the show - but a common thread seems to be that Bruce was actually pretty ill and it really showed and the show was... well.... not great.

i'd be very interested to hear opinion from anyone that was actually there.

43 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

did anyone on here go to Bruce in Belfast last night?

the setlist was essentially the same as Cardiff (there were three changes i think, one of which was Land of Hope and Dreams which is up there with my all time favorite Bruce songs).

i've heard differing reports of the show - but a common thread seems to be that Bruce was actually pretty ill and it really showed and the show was... well.... not great.

i'd be very interested to hear opinion from anyone that was actually there.

Oh that's not good. At the kind of prices he's charging now it feels very unfair if the quality of the show is so variable.

Phew, maybe I dodged a bullet there, with difficulty I decided not to get tickets. It must be very difficult for him to put on the show everyone expects from him (high energy, lengthy) if he’s not well. Gotta be his last tour ever…

On 5/9/2024 at 9:13 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Was there last night and agree it's a when not an if.  I still assume she was asked after Stevie dipped.

Surely she must have been? Unless it’s all in place for next year and she’s determined to keep to her pace of building up the size of the shows.

On 5/8/2024 at 7:28 PM, charlierc said:

I mean Muse were told no to bringing their drones so the precedent isn't there.

Shame as that looks like a cool set-piece. Though tricky to hang it off thin air I guess.

A logistical nightmare on many levels 😃 Was good though, she sang up there but also used it to go and talk to the crowd further back in the Arena.

Saw Elbow last night at the NEC, they were brilliant. I know they don't get much love on here but they have a Glasto shaped hole in their schedule, hoping they pop up somewhere over the weekend.

• Upvote 3

Kae Tempest at the Dome last night. An hour non stop mashup of lots of their different material, all spoken word. Incredible, all the energy, emotion, strength & vulnerability you’d expect, just stunning. Maybe a dry run for the farm 🤞

• Upvote 1

Saw camera obscura at the Barrowlands last night, they were fantastic! Brilliant atmosphere, great set list and the band were sounding on top form!