All Points East Festival 2022

Hutchmaster

Really enjoyed Kae Tempest and The Smile. 

Didn't enjoy the three drunk fools next to me during The Smile who talked pretty much constantly the whole way through (at the start of every song "I love this one" [proceeds to talk through whole song]). When it got too loud and I asked them to keep it down that completely triggered them, and at the end the 'big guy' in their group was trying to start something (I shook my head and walked off). Not sure why you'd get down to the front to see a band you obviously like (could tell they were actual fans from their conversations) just to talk through it (oh yes it's because alcohol turns people into idiots). 

48 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

Really enjoyed Kae Tempest and The Smile. 

Didn't enjoy the three drunk fools next to me during The Smile who talked pretty much constantly the whole way through (at the start of every song "I love this one" [proceeds to talk through whole song]). When it got too loud and I asked them to keep it down that completely triggered them, and at the end the 'big guy' in their group was trying to start something (I shook my head and walked off). Not sure why you'd get down to the front to see a band you obviously like (could tell they were actual fans from their conversations) just to talk through it (oh yes it's because alcohol turns people into idiots). 

I think I got lucky today with good people around me for the acts I really cared about. My best experience of an APE crowd. However, I had a very similar experience to yourself at The National (guy also seemed to think being asked to stop talking through every song 20 cm from my ear was worth getting physical over) and don't think I can do APE again. I really struggled to enjoy today on the back of it, despite it actually being a really positive day.

I thought The Smile were good too and was blown away by Robert Glasper (although a 30 minute slot was criminal!). Tinariwen were a must-see but were a little underwhelming.

Had a decent day yesterday. Cave was incredible as ever. We watched from quite far back and there was tons of space around us so talkers weren't an issue. The sound was excellent where we were so decided to just watch from there and have room to dance (which I did, badly!). From Her To Eternity and White Elephant the highlights for me, but Tupelo, I Need You, Jubilee Street, Higgs Boson Blues and City of Refuge all get special mentions. The Bad Seeds are just so immense live, nothing can touch them. Sad to see Push the Sky Away pushed out as a closer but Ghosteen Speaks is pretty fucking beautiful. Tonally it felt a bit weird to shift into The Weeping Song from that as it seemed the perfect place to finish.

Set was really similar to Primavera I think? Ship Song and Weeping Song didn't get played there but not sure if anything else replaced them.

So I'm glad I went. I also really enjoyed Kae Tempest, Anna Calvi and quite liked The Smile, albeit not the easiest to get excited  about. Surprise set for me was Sean Johnson in 6music - lovely mellow house music for an hour surrounded by chilled people having a nice dance. That was ace.

All in all still don't love the festival. Things like the Amex Glitter Bar and constant attempts to sell you crypto feel icky, but I guess that's just how most festivals are now. Really dumb to only only have bar selling pints as well, but I guess making money is prioritised above giving people what they want! Wasn't a huge issue as we only bought a couple and switched to our rum, but fucked if I'm paying £7 for a can!

But had a good day and of course Cave delivered. Hope everyone else did too. 

• Upvote 1

NIck Cave and the BS were superb and I was in the front section surrounded by Cave fans who were either singing along or hushed as appropriate. Anyone else get a bit of dust in the eye at the end of "I Need You"? Also loved The Smile, Anna Calvi and Hurray For The Riff Raff (although the sound was way too bass heavy for the latter). I did have to move several times for Tinariwen due to talkers but it was probably my best day at any APE.

3 minutes ago, Deckard said:

NIck Cave and the BS were superb and I was in the front section surrounded by Cave fans who were either singing along or hushed as appropriate. Anyone else get a bit of dust in the eye at the end of "I Need You"? Also loved The Smile, Anna Calvi and Hurray For The Riff Raff (although the sound was way too bass heavy for the latter). I did have to move several times for Tinariwen due to talkers but it was probably my best day at any APE.

Yeah I Need You always gets me. I kept it together better yesterday though, was full on sobbing at Primavera! 

On 8/24/2022 at 10:46 AM, gfa said:

see you there! hopefully they have the full setup although i'm not holding out too much hope

Haven't been on here for a few days but wanted to say I owe you one mate! I thought The Blaze were absolutely class, definitely the best act I saw that day and all my friends loved it too

Nick Cave was stupendous. Seen him before three times, but this was by far the best - the set list was almost faultless (no Deanna!) as a career best-of, with all the best fast/loud songs interspersed with just a few more recent slowies. The moment when he intoned repeatedly "Just breathe...." was incredibly moving. I was at the front and he stage-dived on top of me at one stage! So I may be a tad biased, but this may well go down as one of the classic concerts.  Phenomenal. And his fan base just keeps growing - there were people from all over the world around me.

As for the rest...

Joan As Police Woman - OK, but no better. Far too mellow and self-indulgent for a short set, needed pepping up, didn't even play her "Hit" Holy City!

Anna Calvi - I'm a big fan. But similarly, in a short set to a non-fan audience she needed to quicken things up and play the biggies - instead there were long intros and outros and guitar solos, which used up time and didn't convince the people around me. She's so charismatic and powerful, such a great guitarist and makes a hell of a racket, but this was a misjudgement imo.

The Smile - very, very good. The new song was terrific. Loved it. Essentially a Radiohead gig given the two creatives at the helm.

Sleaford Mods - my wife said they were brilliant and everyone was jigging along to them.

Once again the crowds were a pleasure for the most part (larger than for the National day), the weather and food were good and the organisation fine (we won a Luno VIP area pass at their stand which most importantly gave us access to a fully flushing toilet - luxury!). I think this is a great festival and usually love the line-ups as rock/indie festival bills in London and the surrounds are increasingly rare.

I trully enjoyed our first APE... I wanted to see Cave but it was a dream come true line up: Aldous Harding, Tinarewan, Kae Tempest, Hurray for the Riff Raff... Made me walking from stage to stage all day without a minute to rest 😂

I never saw Aldous Harding live before, but I knew she will play mostly new stuff and not some of her most popular songs (Horizon, Barrel, etc). 

Tinarewan were good, crowd really loved them. Sleaford Mods brought a proper party vibe in North Arena.

Hurray for the Riff Raff were late addition to the line up... They are excellent, shame they got early slot (2pm) and less than 30 mins, or at least it felt short.n

Kae Tempest.... Awww, they left me speechless and in tears.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds were fantastic as always. I lost in crowd my other half just before gig started, that pissed me off a bit. 

All in all, a memorable day. I didn't notice any problems. The crowd was lovely and atmosphere positive.