All Points East Festival 2022

Hutchmaster

30 minutes ago, Diamond24 said:

How was the sound for Gorillaz? Anyone suffer with really poor sound like previous APE events? 

It wasn't perfect everywhere. Victoria Park's sound in particular can really suffer if there's a bit of a breeze. As ever, just shift around if you're not in a good sound spot and try and find a decent bit.

5 hours ago, Diamond24 said:

How was the sound for Gorillaz? Anyone suffer with really poor sound like previous APE events? 

I thought it was lacking a certain heft. It sounded pretty consistent as you walked around. I was particularly pleased at how it stayed sounded pretty much the same all the way from the first repeaters to the toilets, it just wasn't loud or bassy enough even near the front.

And the earlier acts, Femi Kuti and before, were all a bit quiet, they seemed to turn it up a couple of times as the day went on.

The clarity was fine (seemed to be a Martin rig), but just a bit weak sounding. You can see there's nowhere near as many cabs as at W Holts, for instance.

20220819_163115.jpg

20220819_163109.jpg

First time I've been to Field Day and was a different type of clientele compared to the Gorillaz day. Lots of wrong-uns attended Field Day with people stumbling past you, not proving any personal space, and lots of people totally out of it. It was an interesting experience for someone who has been going to gigs and festivals for 30 years, though not one i would want too revisit. 

Kraftwerk drew a massive crowd, however most people seemed to be there as a tick box exercise and not really engaged in the set apart from the hits. The 3D thing didn't really work on this scale imo. 

Chemical Brothers were fantastic as always. 

2 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

First time I've been to Field Day and was a different type of clientele compared to the Gorillaz day. Lots of wrong-uns attended Field Day with people stumbling past you, not proving any personal space, and lots of people totally out of it. It was an interesting experience for someone who has been going to gigs and festivals for 30 years, though not one i would want too revisit. 

Kraftwerk drew a massive crowd, however most people seemed to be there as a tick box exercise and not really engaged in the set apart from the hits. The 3D thing didn't really work on this scale imo. 

Chemical Brothers were fantastic as always. 

Agree with all of this, slightly strange vibe. Chems were brilliant but the sound was awful- just far, far too quiet. We were next to the sound desk and it was so muffled. Crowd too rammed to get any further forwards. Just really disappointing, same thing happened at Glastonbury last time they played the Other 😕 Think I'll only bother seeing them indoors from now on!

2 hours ago, ilovelanegan said:

Agree with all of this, slightly strange vibe. Chems were brilliant but the sound was awful- just far, far too quiet. We were next to the sound desk and it was so muffled. Crowd too rammed to get any further forwards. Just really disappointing, same thing happened at Glastonbury last time they played the Other 😕 Think I'll only bother seeing them indoors from now on!

We got a good spot just behind the barrier however the first 20 mins were spent being pushed past (people coming in and out) and being jumped on, elbowed etc. I'm a 15 stone man who can hold my ground, however it seemed full of people who were not used to festival/ gig etiquette. Me and my wife ended up moving further back as it was starting to kick off in places. 

Despite this, I still had a good time! 

8 hours ago, ilovelanegan said:

Generally feel the same way. I had low expectations for the crowd, as I've been to enough large electronic-based events to know that they attract some douchebags. Even so, I think the crowd were marginally better than expected. Though, anyone else clock the guy wheeling around like a lunatic, smashing into people right at the back for Chems?  He was aggressively telling anyone sitting down or not dancing what he thought of them.  Absolute horror show.  

I also had a so-so time and they energy on the whole didn't feel right.  I don't know if having dj's on a big sparse festival stage works.  Haai had some lovely visuals, and I was on board with Floating Points music wise, but crowd energy was off - too many people just standing round talking/getting trashed. This was a particular problem for Kraftwerk - people there not interested and then an exodus from the front when Sulta started. 

Chemicals set was great, as expected, and the sound near the back was pretty good!  I think there might be a dead zone somewhere in the middle - I've experienced this before at APE. Left with 30 mins to go as me and my crowd were done energy-wise

That seemed like a big step up in numbers for Field Day from Gorillaz. Seemed to be a lot more monged or annoyed people as well. I dont really go to electonica days anymore, not since my younger days when I used to go regularly to all nighters and Ibiza. Even back then, I never really got the DJ thing in the day. I have always associated dance/electronica with dark places and long nights.

I am not really up to date on modern electonica and really went just to see Chemicals and Kraftwerk who I enjoyed. From the DJ sets I saw, I liked HAAi & Floating Points but just seemed out of place for me in the bright sun. I guess when I hear a DJ playing its the Trance/House sounds of my youth I want to hear.

I never realy liked Space in Ibiza either and would migrate away from friends to the dark indoors where dance is suppossed to be played. Whether, I would do the current Field Day again would depend on who headlines. Although at the moment, I cant really think of who I would like to see headline but dont think a DJ heavy day appeals to me anymore.

There was only 1/2 of Fjaak as well. Good set regardless but bit frustrating as i was (stupid to?) expecting both of them. Daniel Avery might have been the heaviest set i've ever seen, not too sure how i felt about it. lights were silly good