victorious 2022

retrokev

10 hours ago, Bisque said:

Will be going for the Sunday with my partner in a wheelchair. What are the crowds like… as in demographic as we don’t want any hassle from teens or even adults falling over the place? First time going. Unless it pisses it down will a robust wheel chair be fine on site?

It’s a really inconsistent festival day-to-day as well. For example last year Sunday was way more chill than Sat.

Wheel chair access will be fine imo. Well laid out and the ground is rock hard. For food options go near the kids area - we find this way quieter than other areas. 

I don’t want to sound negative, however Sunday is close to selling out (on their instagram) and has a higher percentage of youth friendly acts at the top end (Fender, Anne-Marie and Hill) and so the crowd could be at the irritating/selfish end of the spectrum I suspect. 

But if you just intend to chill out at the back you’ll be fine. 

It will be very interesting to see the crowds for Metronomy and Suede. I can imagine hordes of youngsters camping out front row spots for Fender meaning they may not have the most appreciative of crowds….hopefully I’m wrong.

Edited by more matey
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, more matey said:

It’s a really inconsistent festival day-to-day as well. For example last year Sunday was way more chill than Sat.

Wheel chair access will be fine imo. Well laid out and the ground is rock hard. For food options go near the kids area - we find this way quieter than other areas. 

I don’t want to sound negative, however Sunday is close to selling out (on their instagram) and has a higher percentage of youth friendly acts at the top end (Fender, Anne-Marie and Hill) and so the crowd could be at the irritating/selfish end of the spectrum I suspect. 

It will be very interesting to see the crowds for Metronomy and Suede. I can image hordes of youngsters camping out front row spots for Fender meaning they may not have the most appreciative of crowds….hopefully I’m wrong.

i hope youre wrong too. ive seen Suede suffer with that sort of crowd before. 

1 hour ago, atomised said:

i hope youre wrong too. ive seen Suede suffer with that sort of crowd before. 

I think a good chunk will try and see the start of Sam Fender, and then rush to catch Anne-Marie, before getting back to Sam just in time to see Seventeen Going Under

12 hours ago, Bisque said:

Will be going for the Sunday with my partner in a wheelchair. What are the crowds like… as in demographic as we don’t want any hassle from teens or even adults falling over the place? First time going. Unless it pisses it down will a robust wheel chair be fine on site?

Everyone who answered you so far are correct. Victorious site is mostly flat, with plenty of paths & roads suitable for a wheelchair. Currently in Portsmouth, we hardly had any significant rain, so the grass is hard, so you won’t have an issue getting around.

Me & friends have gone every year, taking our children, some in pushchairs & carts, so quite young and never really had a problem. We tend to sit towards the back/side in the quieter areas of the stages and never had issues with drunk teens. They are there, but never had any issues as we keep to ourselves.

victorious have raised platforms for wheelchair at the main stages, I think you need to apply to access them, but as your partner is in a wheelchair, I’m sure they would allow you access. I’ve mainly seen they castle stage one and it’s never crowded.

by the Avenue de Caen entrance, next to kids area is a welfare tent, and if I remember clearly, I think they had a wheelchair toilet there last year.

x

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rseamer said:

Someone on here asked what would the comedy stage be (eg : outdoor / inddor / big top etc.....

Here's a pic of it going up at the moment. It's going to be covered....but not a big top

comedy.jpg

That was me! Everyone I have spoken to seems to be heading over to the comedy area for Russel Kane etc! Got a feeling it’s going to to rammed in that area. The same as when they put Lewis Capaldi on the castle stage! I was hoping it would be a stage. Went to look Saturday, but they had not started it. Plus there is the piano tree and literacy area in same space. Not sure if a tent will work  with number of people x

On 8/22/2022 at 11:06 PM, luckysalt said:

Most of the crowd is really sound but every year there seems to be more pissed up teens on site in huge groups. But they should keep themselves to themselves. It's a real mixed bag of ages. But this year I'm not sure there's too much for the older crowd as in 50+. 

Getting around site should be fine, lot of concrete paths. Lot of places of site to chill at as well. 

Any other questions just ask

I will disagree with luckysalt here, bearing in mind one of us is 50+ and the other 70+ - brilliant line-up for us, at least we won't get bored this year with so many decent clashes!!  One of the most accessible festivals we've ever been to, you should have no problems at all, Bisque. Saturday got a bit frenetic, early, but it calmed down later. Sunday was quite chilled. I think it might be the other way round this year though.

Edited by Musemonster

1 hour ago, rascalpete said:

Anyone that’s camped at the farlington fields before know how far the car park is from the campsite (usually, know it may be different now the entrance has seemingly moved)

The car park is right next to the campsites, it’s the only car park down there but I don’t know how much of the field they use 

79B32C54-C645-41E5-9A13-363289A4F125.png

06AFB751-FF1B-4666-AD81-271A7C5D9821.png

• Upvote 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:52 AM, more matey said:

It will be very interesting to see the crowds for Metronomy and Suede. I can imagine hordes of youngsters camping out front row spots for Fender meaning they may not have the most appreciative of crowds….hopefully I’m wrong.

Cheers! I’m debating on seeing Metronomy or using that time to wander around the world music stage & some of the smaller ones, food etc.

On 8/23/2022 at 11:21 AM, kelstar said:

Everyone who answered you so far are correct. Victorious site is mostly flat, with plenty of paths & roads suitable for a wheelchair. Currently in Portsmouth, we hardly had any significant rain, so the grass is hard, so you won’t have an issue getting around.

Me & friends have gone every year, taking our children, some in pushchairs & carts, so quite young and never really had a problem. We tend to sit towards the back/side in the quieter areas of the stages and never had issues with drunk teens. They are there, but never had any issues as we keep to ourselves.

victorious have raised platforms for wheelchair at the main stages, I think you need to apply to access them, but as your partner is in a wheelchair, I’m sure they would allow you access. I’ve mainly seen they castle stage one and it’s never crowded.

by the Avenue de Caen entrance, next to kids area is a welfare tent, and if I remember clearly, I think they had a wheelchair toilet there last year.

x

Thank you! My partner has emailed the fest to let them know of our situation. There’s no phone number as far as she can find, I’m sure we’ll be fine. She can walk but only at a hobbles pace & won’t be able to spend the day on her feet. Poor lass but her relapse has occurred after we bought tickets & she’s missed out on a holiday & Edinburgh Fringe so she wants to do something eventful this summer. I’m just glad we didn’t get Reading weekend tickets.

21 hours ago, luckysalt said:

In Portsmouth now. Checked into hotel, parked up and settled in. Was raining couple hours ago when we first got here, but it's lovely now. Bring it on!

If you could possibly give any updates on weather/ground situation that would be awesome. I live near Southampton & the sun is shiiiiining!

42 minutes ago, Bisque said:

If you could possibly give any updates on weather/ground situation that would be awesome. I live near Southampton & the sun is shiiiiining!

Quite warm and muggy in Southsea today. Forecast to rain overnight/tomorrow morning though, I might pop down there after work tomorrow to see what state the ground is in.

As others have said the site is mostly flat with plenty of roads/paths. It's definitely a trainers rather than hiking boots festival, as long as it's not chucking it down!

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:52 AM, more matey said:

Nothing like a bit of ageism to get you in the mood for a festival. I've been to plenty of festivals and met plenty of older irritating and selfish people - its not something that is unique to younger people. This will be our 3rd Victorious and, the crowd is younger than other festivals we go to, but never had any trouble from kids enjoying themselves. Yeah the kids will be drunk and loud and enjoying themselves, just like the should at a festival. Suggest if you don't enjoy being around young people having fun then festivals aren't really for you. 

16 hours ago, Musemonster said:

I will disagree with luckysalt here, bearing in mind one of us is 50+ and the other 70+ - brilliant line-up for us, at least we won't get bored this year with so many decent clashes!!  One of the most accessible festivals we've ever been to, you should have no problems at all, Bisque. Saturday got a bit frenetic, early, but it calmed down later. Sunday was quite chilled. I think it might be the other way round this year though.

Hey that's great, I just meant there's no older acts really this year like in the past Weller, Brian Wilson, Specials, Madness, last year had Nile, etc. It seems to be 90s onwards acts. 

Sorry if it came across the wrong way, hope no offence taken. 

Me and the Mrs love the older acts ourselves, I wish there were more 80s acts on for sure.

6 minutes ago, rseamer said:

It's been raining here in Southsea quite heavily this morning but is leaving off a bit now.

I will take a walk down to the common later and report back on the state of the ground

Waiting for my train now. Can’t wait. Last minute decision to wear the walking boots. Trainers packed though.