victorious 2022

retrokev

31 minutes ago, retrokev said:

im going for noel kasabian kol  main foals  and flo castle

Foals and Florence are far too big for the castle stage.

I still expect victorious to have the same sort of sized headliners as they’ve had for the last couple of years myself . You can probably add Foals to the maybe list too alongside the likes of Kasabian, Noel, Jamie T, George Ezra etc… I always think it’ll be the ones that could sub headline or headline the other stage at Glastonbury 

1 hour ago, atomised said:

spot on  have to say I really enjoyed the weekend. Ended up doing half of Embrace then switching to Editors, kids loved meeting the Octonauts and Fireman Sam.

whilst camping off-site is a bit of a pain the shuttles work pretty well. stayed til the end last night and still back at camp just after  midnight, family camping felt very safe and peaceful 

You were lucky to get back so early. On the Fri night it took us two hours to get from the festival to the campsite, and we were about a quarter way along in the queue. Sat night we left early and last night was a staggered leaving I noticed as Anne Marie started early and finished early (this is who we saw) so I think that help immensely getting people back.

Was thinking of going into the family zone for a quieter camp next year if we go? Us oldies like our sleep!

3 minutes ago, retrokev said:

cant seem to buy tickets for next year? says error 404 ? do we know dates cheers and everything opening up for 3 days?

Dates will be the BH weekend so 25th, 26th and 27th.  Everything is opening Friday from the acoustic to castle to kids field

Just registered to thank you all for your posts - second time at Victorious (Sunday only) and the info both last year and this was really helpful 

Last year's queuing for the loos and bars was so bad we upgraded to Premium this year - I'm in two minds on whether it was worth it, as we spent half the day at Castle side, and the loos there were getting bad by 6:30. If they had a second small Premium area by Castle it might be worth the extra £.

Interesting reading your predictions for 2023 🙂

Good weekend had by myself and the superior half. Felt the crowd were a tad subdued on Friday night for Stereophonics.

Sugababes were excellent on Sat afternoon, really good atmosphere. Saw We Are Scientists and Inhaler then after, slightly dissapointed with Inhaler mind. Back from the local pubs to see White Lies, Wombats (that was a huge crowd) and then Nutini as our headliner. I love Nutini, but that setlist, and the remix of Pencil was strange. Still enjoyed, gf wishes we saw Bastille.

Sunday, Libertines were good, much smaller crowd then Sugababes but then saw how rammed it was for Example. Small crowed for Editors but excellent as always. Now, when did Sophie Ellis-Bextor get so big?! Was a huge crowd! Then the crush to get out of there before Becky Hill to see Metronomy was just flat out dangerous. The PA telling people to use the road side just didnt work as people were just standing there. Not a good bit of planning. Very small crowd for Metronomy but a good set and appreciative crowd. Nothing But Thieves and Anne Marie were excellent to close the weekend.

Shuttle buses seemed a little longer than last year. Happy that Anne Marie finished early mind! Back to campsite before 1130 compared to the 1am the previous 2 days. Campsite was decent, not too loud (we were near the coffee truck) and queues for toilets werent bad at all. Toilets in main arena were much better this year, as was the food choice, but as mentioned before, £6.50 for a can is taking the piss, and just isnt right!

Do like the festival, good mix of people attending, didnt see much trouble at all and generally people were good to talk to. Lets see what next year brings.

Enjoyed the weekend and loved much of who I saw. Victorious has a habit of booking indie bands from the younger days, long may that continue. I felt they wasted Suede by putting them on before Fender. Not sure what was annoying Brett, lack of love? I thought it might have been the lack of interest or abuse from Fender fans camping at the front for him but no idea as I was further back. I love Sam and have seen him plenty of times but he does have a certain amount of ***** fans. To be honest, I cant see that changing and think he is going to attract more and more of those fans as his popularity grows.

As everyone has  already stated it was way busier then last year. As Amy McDonald started her last song we headed over to Castle stage as I hoped we would catch Sofie doing Groovejet. Well as already mentioned it seemed scaredly busy over there and decided there was no way would try to get in the field. I assume it got worse for Becky & Anne Marie. You would expect Festival organisers to know more about crowd control and placement of acts. We could all tell it was stupid to put such popuar pop acts on the smaller stage. I saw loads of kids with Anne Marie T-Shirts and dread to think what the experience was like for them over at the Castle. 

I do hope that they do not water down the indie/alternative side to much if they continue to book more pop acts. Will be booking again for next year and hoping that APE is rubbish as that is in walking distance for me but never gets the names out quick enough for me.

11 minutes ago, gingerevans84 said:

Good weekend had by myself and the superior half. Felt the crowd were a tad subdued on Friday night for Stereophonics.

Sugababes were excellent on Sat afternoon, really good atmosphere. Saw We Are Scientists and Inhaler then after, slightly dissapointed with Inhaler mind. Back from the local pubs to see White Lies, Wombats (that was a huge crowd) and then Nutini as our headliner. I love Nutini, but that setlist, and the remix of Pencil was strange. Still enjoyed, gf wishes we saw Bastille.

Sunday, Libertines were good, much smaller crowd then Sugababes but then saw how rammed it was for Example. Small crowed for Editors but excellent as always. Now, when did Sophie Ellis-Bextor get so big?! Was a huge crowd! Then the crush to get out of there before Becky Hill to see Metronomy was just flat out dangerous. The PA telling people to use the road side just didnt work as people were just standing there. Not a good bit of planning. Very small crowd for Metronomy but a good set and appreciative crowd. Nothing But Thieves and Anne Marie were excellent to close the weekend.

Shuttle buses seemed a little longer than last year. Happy that Anne Marie finished early mind! Back to campsite before 1130 compared to the 1am the previous 2 days. Campsite was decent, not too loud (we were near the coffee truck) and queues for toilets werent bad at all. Toilets in main arena were much better this year, as was the food choice, but as mentioned before, £6.50 for a can is taking the piss, and just isnt right!

Do like the festival, good mix of people attending, didnt see much trouble at all and generally people were good to talk to. Lets see what next year brings.

glad it wasn't just me who thought that re Stereophonics I enjoyed the set itself but it certainly didn't feel like a festival set, it just didn't flow all that well 

6 minutes ago, Dales said:

Enjoyed the weekend and loved much of who I saw. Victorious has a habit of booking indie bands from the younger days, long may that continue. I felt they wasted Suede by putting them on before Fender. Not sure what was annoying Brett, lack of love? I thought it might have been the lack of interest or abuse from Fender fans camping at the front for him but no idea as I was further back. I love Sam and have seen him plenty of times but he does have a certain amount of ***** fans. To be honest, I cant see that changing and think he is going to attract more and more of those fans as his popularity grows.

As everyone has  already stated it was way busier then last year. As Amy McDonald started her last song we headed over to Castle stage as I hoped we would catch Sofie doing Groovejet. Well as already mentioned it seemed scaredly busy over there and decided there was no way would try to get in the field. I assume it got worse for Becky & Anne Marie. You would expect Festival organisers to know more about crowd control and placement of acts. We could all tell it was stupid to put such popuar pop acts on the smaller stage. I saw loads of kids with Anne Marie T-Shirts and dread to think what the experience was like for them over at the Castle. 

I do hope that they do not water down the indie/alternative side to much if they continue to book more pop acts. Will be booking again for next year and hoping that APE is rubbish as that is in walking distance for me but never gets the names out quick enough for me.

Anne Marie was surprisingly quiet from the sound desk back. 

3 hours ago, seanz25 said:

I think Muse are highly likely for next year, they’re doing loads of the lesser known stadiums and randomly have skipped Southampton/Bournemouth. I’d guess because they’re probably booked for Victorious.

They've missed out tons of major cities though, i wouldn't look too much into it as its such a weird tour.

2 hours ago, sisco said:

Foals and Florence are far too big for the castle stage.

I still expect victorious to have the same sort of sized headliners as they’ve had for the last couple of years myself . You can probably add Foals to the maybe list too alongside the likes of Kasabian, Noel, Jamie T, George Ezra etc… I always think it’ll be the ones that could sub headline or headline the other stage at Glastonbury 

Sam Fender subbed, Stereophonics could certainly sub and Paolo wouldn't look too off doing it either i don't think. Some people have put him in that slot - i'd say more of a 3rd down but yeah. That was with current prices and its just shot up about £50 for tier 1 if i'm not mistaken? That without a doubt puts Foals and Florence on the table in my eyes

18 minutes ago, gfa said:

They've missed out tons of major cities though, i wouldn't look too much into it as its such a weird tour.

Sam Fender subbed, Stereophonics could certainly sub and Paolo wouldn't look too off doing it either i don't think. Some people have put him in that slot - i'd say more of a 3rd down but yeah. That was with current prices and its just shot up about £50 for tier 1 if i'm not mistaken? That without a doubt puts Foals and Florence on the table in my eyes

Yep, think there’s a big pool of mid sized acts who could do Victorious.  Another I’ve just thought of is Lewis Capaldi

47 minutes ago, Bubblepopelectric said:

HMS Prince of Wales going past when Sugababes was on was awesome! Shame they didn't acknowledge it though! 

They did point at it and I saw one of them say ‘Did you see that’ to another member but I’m not sure if they are the sort of act who can respond to things outside of their well rehearsed set to the crowd. 

Apparently the ship broke down at sea today! 

Edited by Twitch33

Pretty much agree with what everyone has said on here.

I’ve booked my early bird for next year but it’s a no brainier for me as I live a short walk away. It would be rude not to go!

re: Becky Hill. In previous years it’s been busy for pop acts (like Mel C and Ella Eyre) but not as busy as Becky. I think it’s simply to do with the fact that they sold more tickets so a higher number of people are on site, and when the main stage doesn’t have a big enough name to draw, you get the situation you had with Becky.

Weirdly the day before I had been talking to a friend and he had said to me that Becky Hill, Sam Ryder and Sam Fender would be the big draws of the day and he was right! Should have listened to him! 

So been having a think of the mid sized acts that could probably play it:

Kasabian, Foals, Noel Gallagher HFB, George Ezra, Jamie T, Lewis Capaldi, Biffy Clyro, Snow Patrol, The Chemical Brothers, Florence and the Machine, The Prodigy

Sure there’s a few more about, but wouldn’t be unhappy with 3 off of that list! 

Good to read peoples comments and agree with most of them. We went on Saturday and Sunday and didn’t really encounter any negativity on either day. Always found Victorious to be one of the friendliest “bigger” festivals around with a decent mix of music to keep everyone happy.

I think in hindsight the organisers will admit that they messed up on a couple of the set placings on the Sunday and it definitely felt busier than any of the previous years I’ve gone, but I didn’t ever feel like it was getting dangerous (I left the Castle stage after Little Man Tate but saw how busy it was after that). 

Particular highlights for me were Suede, Sports Team, The Wombats, Declan McKenna, Embrace and The Reytons. Thought the headliners were a bit weak this year (kids loved Sam Fender but I don’t get the hype personally), interesting to see who gets booked next year-we’ll definitely be there!

9 minutes ago, sisco said:

So been having a think of the mid sized acts that could probably play it:

Kasabian, Foals, Noel Gallagher HFB, George Ezra, Jamie T, Lewis Capaldi, Biffy Clyro, Snow Patrol, The Chemical Brothers, Florence and the Machine, The Prodigy

Sure there’s a few more about, but wouldn’t be unhappy with 3 off of that list! 

I think a lot of those are realistic. Wonder whether they would change their approach and book international acts for the bigger slots? Arcade Fire maybe? Got a feeling Two Door Cinema Club might be high up as well, and hoping Pulp are nailed on for next year as well.

1 hour ago, kelstar said:

Question for all the campers! What was your experience with buses to and from festival site. 

personally it worked well for us  never queued more than 10 minutes going to the site even yesterday morning when security said it would be 30 or 40 minutes  coming back Friday and Saturday we left about 10 mins from the end and walked straight on. Sunday we left at the end of Sam Fender and were on a bus before 1130 which I didn't think was bad compared to the 90 minute queue after royal blood last year 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, atomised said:

personally it worked well for us  never queued more than 10 minutes going to the site even yesterday morning when security said it would be 30 or 40 minutes  coming back Friday and Saturday we left about 10 mins from the end and walked straight on. Sunday we left at the end of Sam Fender and were on a bus before 1130 which I didn't think was bad compared to the 90 minute queue after royal blood last year 

Thanku, we can’t make next year, and our friends who usually stay won’t be able to use our house (having some work done while away) 

Not really paid too much attention to the ins & outs of the camping, so very interested in the option for them if they come down x

2 hours ago, EssexIndie said:

I think a lot of those are realistic. Wonder whether they would change their approach and book international acts for the bigger slots? Arcade Fire maybe? Got a feeling Two Door Cinema Club might be high up as well, and hoping Pulp are nailed on for next year as well.

think you’ve missed the arcade fire news - arguably done for

https://pitchfork.com/news/arcade-fires-win-butler-accused-of-sexual-misconduct-by-multiple-women-frontman-responds/amp/