When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Britain's Covid cases rise by 13% in a week to 34,460

https://mol.im/a/10017569 via http://dailym.ai/android

Cases up but hospitalisations and deaths down 

Hopefully once the vaccine kicks in for kids all three will be going down 

Every chance this winter might not be the shit show that is feared 

Deaths and hospitalisations …. Don’t happen instantly there’s a delay on those …. So in 2 weeks they will rise again … we are seeing the impact now of the beginning of the drop of infections which lasted around 10 days 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

If the cases are mostly in the young then that isn't a given.  

No you are right … but obviously that spreads to others … mostly vaccinated but some unfortunately not … it still happens though but at not the same rate as before because of the great job the vaccines do … 

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

They’ve done nothing on ventilation in 18 months … not even started …. 

Every school is different. It’s a logistical nightmare that would take a lot of money, a lot of planning and a lot of work for something that might not be needed indefinitely. A lot of schools are still riddled with asbestos making it a very difficult task. 

I would much rather see that funding go towards teaching rather than ventilation. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

There is a massive shit show in operation up and down the country in regards to accessing gps, so your either lying or your operating a massive dose of I'm alright Jack 

I think I spoke to you about this in the other thread, in the our little town all 3 GP practices share a building along with some other community medical stuff and the ability to see or even get a phone call with a Dr varies hugely between practices and this has been the case since before the pandemic. So it's totally believable that crazyfool has had little issue with getting appointments. 

If face to face appointments had gone on as normal you'd have had more GPs testing positive and needing to isolate so there'd still be less appointments to be had the idea that they could have carried on regardless is for the birds. Yet GP access is a problem that predates the pandemic and if your practice was struggling before it'll be worse now but the underlying problem is still a lack of GPs and badly managed practices so the fix isn't as simple as bringing back more face to face appointments.

• Upvote 1

No but its a start.  Vaccine protected gps should be seeing their patients.  Front line nurses and junior doctors have too.  As well as dentists and other health care professionals.

I keep having my dentist's appointments cancelled as dentist's are off isolating or some of their other staff are I've had much more problems getting to see my dentist than my GP.  Vaccine protected GPs will still miss more appointments due to COVID if they have them all face to face, phone is fine for most things if it needs to be face to face then they are seeing you, if a phone call and some pics will do then that's fine. If your GP hasn't got the balance right that's a training issue. Seeing a GP will be a pian in the arse in some areas until we train more GPs regardless.

59 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Your only likely to go off ill with it once and unlikely af all of you have the vaccine.  That's the reality.

The reality is if GPs where seeing more people face to face there would be more GP absences which doesn't help with the excess demand.

There are two issues at work here:

1. It is hard to get a GP appointment of any kind. This is because there is a shortage of GPs, you can blame lazy GPs wanting part time hours once they've qualified, you can blame too many immigrants as the countries full, you can blame Brexit for chasing away all those lovely EU Drs, you can blame the Tories for a decade of underfunding the NHS, or whatever else suits your political axe BUT you cannot blame current COVID restrictions.

2. Most appointments are now phone appointments unless there is no way the examination can be done using a call and sending some pics. This isn't causing a backlog it's the same GPs giving you the same time but without the risk of spreading anything. Obviously if you need to be seen you should be able to go in and in my experience this has been fine, I've had my GPs finger up my bum twice this pandemic.

Issue 1 is a big problem, I've found at my practice Issue 2 isn't a big deal in fact I would 100% support the default appointment being a phone appointment past the pandemic it's much less disruptive. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

There is a massive shit show in operation up and down the country in regards to accessing gps, so your either lying or your operating a massive dose of I'm alright Jack 

My parents have both got face to face GP appointments with no problems in the past few months - more rural area. Have no doubt it’s fucked in some places (in some it was before the pandemic) but certainly not everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

We all know there is issues with the funding of the NHS at all levels but for me you are purposely ignoring the issue.

GPs are not seeing patients for one reason only - COVID.

Do I think GPs are "lazy" - no.  Do I think GPs need to man the fuck up and earn their money - yes.  Unless they do the nations health is going to go to he dogs.

Again, lots of GPS were moving towards this before the pandemic. Indeed for my private health insurance  they have their own app for video appointments. Phone and video appointments are actually more convenient for most people needing a GP appointment too. Indeed I’d wager part of the current problem is more people using the service as it’s finally entered the 20th century - for people that can’t afford to take the time off work it’s a godsend. The vast majority of GP appointments are just a conversation with your GP, and a visual inspection. If you need an examination you can be asked to come in.

(and I say all this as someone who hates phone calls and detests this new system on a personal level)

39 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

My parents have both got face to face GP appointments with no problems in the past few months - more rural area. Have no doubt it’s fucked in some places (in some it was before the pandemic) but certainly not everywhere.

Again, lots of GPS were moving towards this before the pandemic. Indeed for my private health insurance  they have their own app for video appointments. Phone and video appointments are actually more convenient for most people needing a GP appointment too. Indeed I’d wager part of the current problem is more people using the service as it’s finally entered the 20th century - for people that can’t afford to take the time off work it’s a godsend. The vast majority of GP appointments are just a conversation with your GP, and a visual inspection. If you need an examination you can be asked to come in.

(and I say all this as someone who hates phone calls and detests this new system on a personal level)

I've had both phone and face to face appointments in the past year. Would much prefer phone as is always a pain to get time off work, but one of them the GP needed sight of. My GP surgery has other issues but that was all going on long before the pandemic. I've moved GPs as a result and that was easy to do right now as well.

I dont have an issue with phone appointments as its easier to schedule and fit around work. If i need a face to face, i can always get one if i ask for one at the appointment

the MUST BE FACE TO FACE just seems an old fashioned remnant of a bygone age, much like the middle managers fighting against WFH

I had a shit time with the doctors last year and I honestly don't know if its got any better? From being prescribed antibiotics over the phone I didn't need to then forcing me to goto a local shopping centre to give a sample rather than use the toilet at the surgery. They were definitely gambling that prostate cancer is rare at my age as I had all the symptoms and eventually I gave up, went private and luckily it turned out to be nothing serious. Seems alot of people haven't been as lucky as me:

ah so who'd have thought it , I didnt lie .... never needed to in life ... My GP practise is really good and always has been maybe im lucky in that respect .... my diabetes appointments with the nurse happened with no issues and so did my bloods ... my GP appointments were scheduled next day after the online consultations ( issues with my chest ) .... x ray booked and seen at the local hospital within a week .... one of my annual consultant appointments which is normally face to face happened online after about a 6 month delay at peak pandemic time ...... im sure those consultants were pretty busy elsewhere where more urgent care was needed . 

yep GPS are very well paid but well deserved for the shit they have gone through during the pandemic and the shit they are dealing with now .... lots of vaccine related abuse and attacks .... wouldn't want their job for love nor money ... oh and the training they undertake to get there ... retaining those staff within the NHS is hugely important . 

39 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep GPS are very well paid but well deserved for the shit they have gone through during the pandemic and the shit they are dealing with now .... lots of vaccine related abuse and attacks .... wouldn't want their job for love nor money ... oh and the training they undertake to get there ... retaining those staff within the NHS is hugely important . 

And just the shit they have to deal with generally...

4 hours ago, mcshed said:

I've had my GPs finger up my bum twice this pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

GPs and doctors are paid well, eventually - one of the slights of hand of recent Tory governments has been to push the idea of "Junior Doctors" out there, linking low wages to that, while not pointing out that a junior doctor isn't just a 1st/2nd year trainee, but in fact make up half of the doctoral workforce and can often have upwards of ten years' experience.

Deepti doesn't like Sarah's comments.

Who are you going to believe, some loudmouth on twitter or the person who created a vaccine which saved millions?

Turns out the anti govt lot will believe the loudmouth on twitter

Edited by zahidf

On the whole seeing a doctor subject…

I was pooped on Tuesday - Shivers, headache, sore throat, nauseous etc. Slept for an hour when I got home from work and was in bed by 8.30.

Wednesday - worse throat pain I’ve ever had barely ate or drank. Bed by 9.30.

Yesterday - 2 spoons of weetabix for breakfast, finally took the wife’s advice to call the doctors.

Speak to Reception they say a Dr will call back. Get a text saying send a photo of throat. Then doctor calls an hour later saying I’ve got very bad tonsillitis and prescribes antibiotics.

30 mins later I’ve got a rash on my hands. I call doctors and tell reception who in turn say doctor will call me. This spreads to face, body and feet. No call from doctor all day.

8am this morning after another sleepless night I call back and speak to reception. Promised a call back this morning.

God knows what I’ve got but it’s shit and I know it’s not the doctors fault but I’ll be pissed off if I still don’t get a face to face appointment…