When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

I think pubs are really going to struggle over the autumn/winter – it's never really been part of our drinking culture in the same way it has in mainland Europe, but a lot of people have really got used to enjoying sitting outside now and it's been part of their re-entry into 'real life'.

On top of that I'm not sure if the increased booze prices (here in London it's easily £6+ for a pint in most places) are going to convince people to go on the lash, when many have realised over lockdown that they can have a decent time at home with a few cans for a lot less cash.

13 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I think pubs are really going to struggle over the autumn/winter – it's never really been part of our drinking culture in the same way it has in mainland Europe, but a lot of people have really got used to enjoying sitting outside now and it's been part of their re-entry into 'real life'.

On top of that I'm not sure if the increased booze prices (here in London it's easily £6+ for a pint in most places) are going to convince people to go on the lash, when many have realised over lockdown that they can have a decent time at home with a few cans for a lot less cash.

I think theyll be relying a lot more on Xmas trade. SOme people may think that theyd like a more boozy xmas since they missed out last year. I expect Jan to be especially quiet this time around

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

How are people finding gigs? We've started going to stuff again and while it's nice to feel back to normal, we're clearly a long way off. Saw one comic at a rescheduled "sold out" gig where about 15% of the audience were missing - "I guess all the empty seats are either people who have forgotten they booked this or died".

Saw another comic in a room he'd previously sold out pre-pandemic that was only 1/4 full. 

It's a concern, to be honest. I'm not sure if it's reluctance by people to go out, or just that there's so much stuff on now (with theatres trying to fit a year's worth of shows into 4 months) that people are having to be more picky.

It's not sustainable though.

Been to 2 weekend festivals, a couple of day ones and a few club nights/gigs and all have felt completely normal to me, except for having to show your Covid pass. All been very busy, people dancing right next to each other and basically back to the good old days as far as I can see.

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

How are people finding gigs? We've started going to stuff again and while it's nice to feel back to normal, we're clearly a long way off. Saw one comic at a rescheduled "sold out" gig where about 15% of the audience were missing - "I guess all the empty seats are either people who have forgotten they booked this or died".

Saw another comic in a room he'd previously sold out pre-pandemic that was only 1/4 full. 

It's a concern, to be honest. I'm not sure if it's reluctance by people to go out, or just that there's so much stuff on now (with theatres trying to fit a year's worth of shows into 4 months) that people are having to be more picky.

It's not sustainable though.

I've been to a couple of 300ish (I think) seater comedy gigs which were sold out but had a handful of empty seats. But nothing out of the ordinary.

But Rob Newman was barely half full. And he'd previously sold that room out on his last tour. Or thereabouts. 

Up until Bond last week I'd been to the cinema a handful of times. Allocated seating and very quiet. The list before Bond was unrestricted but still very quiet. Bond was rammed. The friend I went with lives in Wales and has been a lot more cautious than me. She works in hospitality too but outside of work has taken it slowly. This was her first cinema (or anything like) visit since covid started and she was a bit freaked out when she found out it was full, but eased into it. I think it helped we were on the front row rather than right in the middle. 

Oh, and we've had a bad cold just rip through work this past week or so. Ironically we normally do this time of year because we usually have a load odd uni and school groups staying,but this year we don't have them.still got the lurgy though.

Mine started during my last days off and I've been off 4 days this week. 

I've had worse colds but this one is just lingering

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Or maybe when they say up by TWO THIRDS...  you say - stop over blowing it ? 

This is probably more relevant...  

Department for Education figures show 2.5% of pupils were out of school for Covid-related reasons on this day.

2.5% ?  Muzzle the kids ?  No - lets not....

I wonder how many kids are normally off with flu over the winter ? would 2.5% surprise you ? 

Yeah percentage wise, it feels like it's not THAT bad...

20211005_233242.jpg

Edited by zahidf

13 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I wonder how many kids are normally off with flu over the winter ? would 2.5% surprise you ? 

2.5% does feel like a lot, I've not seen the data and I'm not even married to a teacher but yeah 2.5% feels high thinking back to my own time at school. 

I don't necessarily think masks in schools is the answer but I do think it's a sensible option if things do get worse. I don't have dogmatic attachment to either side when comes to masks.

I agree that muzzling the kids would be a bad idea, are your kids particularly bitey? 

18 minutes ago, mcshed said:

2.5% does feel like a lot, I've not seen the data and I'm not even married to a teacher but yeah 2.5% feels high thinking back to my own time at school. 

I don't necessarily think masks in schools is the answer but I do think it's a sensible option if things do get worse. I don't have dogmatic attachment to either side when comes to masks.

I agree that muzzling the kids would be a bad idea, are your kids particularly bitey? 

I think making kids wear masks ( especially young ones) is a bit weird and creepy to be honest

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah everyone doesn't mind telling others to do something specially when they don't have to live with consequences...

What the kids need is the vaccine not face nappies...

It’s neither. They don’t need protected at all against a virus that’s borderline harmless to children. 

It's self-reported long covid time again! 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-more-than-one-million-people-say-they-have-long-covid-ons-data-shows-12428159

There's a claim within the article that an estimated 405,000 people have had a Covid symptom for at least a year (therefore that's the long covid box ticked) . Anyone curious to know how many total cases the UK had encountered on this very day, 7th of October, one year ago? 

544,275 :lol:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-10-07/uk-covid-19-cases-increase-by-14162-in-single-day

We really need to stop publishing this hypochondriac shite. 

Edited by Fuzzy Afro

I'm in two minds about ditching free testing – we do need to get over the over-reliance on case numbers, and it would quieten down a lot of social media panic about ups and downs, but also there's plenty of (often minimum wage) jobs like care and health that should be provided with free testing to ensure it's safe for work.

My friend works NHS and recently got told they'd have to source tests themselves as it wasn't coming from main office anymore, presumably wanting them to get some from pharmacies or testing centres or wherever. If those become paid-for, it means employees will have to fork out themselves.

5 hours ago, jannybruck said:

I'm in two minds about ditching free testing – we do need to get over the over-reliance on case numbers, and it would quieten down a lot of social media panic about ups and downs, but also there's plenty of (often minimum wage) jobs like care and health that should be provided with free testing to ensure it's safe for work.

My friend works NHS and recently got told they'd have to source tests themselves as it wasn't coming from main office anymore, presumably wanting them to get some from pharmacies or testing centres or wherever. If those become paid-for, it means employees will have to fork out themselves.

Free testing for the general population needs binned.

If an employer wants to mandate tests then they should pay for them themselves. 

No one is going to pay for their own employer-mandated tests. They’ll just vote with their feet and go elsewhere.

Edited by Fuzzy Afro

6 hours ago, jannybruck said:

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Free testing for the general population needs binned.

If an employer wants to mandate tests then they should pay for them themselves. 

No one is going to pay for their own employer-mandated tests. They’ll just vote with their feet and go elsewhere.

It's 100% to make sure vaccine proof is the only easy way and most will accept it, and that's fine. People like me will enjoy their time at home despite being vaccinated 😂

On a really really busy train back from Manchester and I love it. Real life how it used to be. 

Edited by efcfanwirral