Marvel shows & spoilers

FloorFiller

Disney+ won't be able to premier access the new spider-man, but whoever distributes the film would have final say on when it hits the cinema surely, which is Sony. Could be interesting times ahead.

Honestly feel Shang Chi and Eternals are gonna die a death if they're put on premier access.

What if...? Was intriguing and entertaining, but felt a bit disposable as part of the MCU. I did enjoy it as a thing in itself though. Only one episode in so maybe not fair to make such a call straight away.

I’m really not a fan of that CGI-posing-as-traditional-animation style (is there a name for that). I get that it’s probably meant to emulate comic book art, but in this non static form it feels a bit cold and detached if that makes sense. Facial expressions and lip-syncing feel particularly jarring. Reminds me of the sausage on a fork in the opening credits of Grange Hill (ask your parents).

6/10

Thought what if was fun. I get the points on the animation, I enjoyed it but more from an interest in rendering things like that. The concept was fun but the whole thing played out a bit like a montage of caps first film so I didn't really walk away with any connection to it, there were some neat nods though. 

One of the issues with this one is basically all the characters we've only met for one film (in this state anyway) and even weak cap isn't the character we know. I'm excited to see some of the scenarios when we're a bit closer to more of the characters.

I think the problem for me was that it just played out exactly like I thought it would if Peggy took the serum rather then Steve. There was no real surprise or much difference from the original movie. It was because of that, I felt this episode would always be a fairly weak one, for myself anyways. I look forward to some of the others. 

Same @Hugh Jass/ @philipsteak, definitely would've been a more interesting direction to go in.

Overall it was fine. I'll likely watch the whole series but it's not going to be a 'day of release' watch like all the live action ones have been*

*I do realise I had to catch up with the first 4 eps of Loki but that was circumstances outwith my control.

Avoided this thread until I saw Loki all the way through. Now I have my quick review is its the best of the Marvel shows. Liked them all but Loki was the strongest character they've covered so far, and the whole retro-future aesthetic of the TVA, the music, and all the mental cosmic stuff is everything I want from a Marvel show, or any sci-fi fantasy. What other show can boast a scene of Richard E grant and Owen Wilson discussing if an alligator Loki is real or not? Brilliant.

Agree with most on here that the What If... premier was pretty dull and lacked imagination. Facial expressions were weird and the dialogue was cringe. Liked some of the fluid action scenes though, like the one where they are fighting the planes.

Black Widow had its moments but just felt like it was five years too late. Wasn't really the send off she deserved.

The Suicide Squad is one of my films of the year. Gunn has such a knack for making the most of big casts and giving each character just enough for it to matter when they die, or for me to care if they do or not. And that last hour just kept going and building more and more, a really great genre mash up.

P.S. I'm also in the boat of Marvel fans who only knows what's happening in the films so all the theories from comic readers is really interesting to me. Keep 'em comin'.

On 8/14/2021 at 8:21 AM, Hugh Jass said:

The lack of Chris Evans was really jarring too, especially as all the other original actors were there.

Who was it? Cus it sounded good to me but his name not being anywhere in the credits was an obvious clue.

Now the T'challa as Star Lord episode was exactly the kind of episode I was hoping for from this What If..? series, thought it was brilliant. Some really fun aspects like the new team and moved away a lot more from the story than the first one did. If we get more episodes like that we'll be in for a treat

I really can’t get on with the animation style, but I had hopes for this episode.

However to me it just came across like the writers room came up with 378 Easter eggs, then just as the meeting was finished the office junior piped up with “shouldn’t we have a story to link these things”.

I’ll be handing my geek badge in at reception on the way out 😆

This episode was certainly a big step up from last weeks and there were loads of fun little nods and winks throughout, but tbh I just find myself only half watching and not really caring with these so far as they’re enjoyable but entirely inconsequential in the grand scheme of things which is all I really care about when it comes to the MCU. Will keep watching but I’m glad we’ve got films/other shows coming soon to fill the Marvel void.

On 8/18/2021 at 11:47 AM, Callum_96 said:

Now the T'challa as Star Lord episode was exactly the kind of episode I was hoping for from this What If..? series, thought it was brilliant. Some really fun aspects like the new team and moved away a lot more from the story than the first one did. If we get more episodes like that we'll be in for a treat

Just watched. Really enjoyed that.

Really makes me miss Chadwick though 😞 

27 minutes ago, jump said:

The Spider Man trailer has leaked, it's unfinished as it has missing CGI and it keeps getting taken down. I got a few secs in and saw how shit the quality is so gave up. 

The full version is meant to be out this afternoon - I'd expect it after this leak. There are a few screenshots from it about. 

Also...

Screenshot_20210822-202009.png

Edited by vintagelaureate