news & politics:discussion

zahidf

14 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

So in the last You Gov poll a week before for the London sampling - it was Lab 53, Con 31, this time it is Con 36 Lab 34. Clearly something not right there with the sampling.

Bear in mind YouGov is owned/ran by Tories.

11 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I wouldn’t replace him. It seems that electoral oblivion is the only way to permanently dislodge the progress careerist faction and once and for all bust this enduring myth that blue labour is electorally viable. I’m just going to sit back and watch.

labour of any colour isn't viable it would seem.

4 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Burnham would be the better big tent choice but of course is without a seat. Steve Rotheram liverpool Metro mayor is a bit more left and bit more real (formally a brickie) but likeable and pragmatic too. But again, without a seat in the commons.

I like Dan Carden.

Ultimately the selection (and deselection) process needs to be better. Sadly Starmer had taken a wrecking ball to the grassroots and a lot of talented young folk who could have been nextgen MPs will now have deserted the party. Those that remain and will end up being the labour candidates of tomorrow are the carbon copy of the talent desert that is the PLP - unpopular, early balding young folks who rock up to uni lectures in a suit 

I think next leader will be a woman.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Whoever becomes labour leader has to say things that they don't necessarily agree with and many in labour don't like. Corbyn had to say he watched the Queen's xmas day speech but obviously didn't. I think it's harder for a labour leader than a tory leader.

Basically the Biden approach?

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

I wasn't old enough to pay too much attention to politics in the 90s, but pretty sure there were various sleaze scandals of Major's government that Blair was quick to capitalise on.

Sleaze is what did for major and gave Blair a couldn't lose opportunity.healso struck a chord with the electorate.

46 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think next leader will be a woman.

Would like it to be, voted Nandy in the leadership election myself, but nobody really springs to mind sadly and not on the left.

One other problem for Labour is that historically they are happy to stand those who I’d most like to see as leader (local connection, normal background, authentic, tends to be more left and more honest) in marginals where centrist careerists don’t do well - and then parachute the Oxbridge oddballs into the safe seats.

Unfortunately when they take a drubbing nationally, the good MPs in the marginals bare the brunt of it.

Thelma Walker is one that springs to mind. Former Colne Valley labour MP lost in ’19, former headteacher, resigned membership in protest at Starmer’s purges, now standing for Northern Independence Party in Hartlepool and a total diamond. If she were the labour candidate in Hartlepool, they’d win. Instead they parachuted in some clean shirt weapon.

Edited by mattiloy

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Would like it to be, voted Nandy in the leadership election myself, but nobody really springs to mind sadly and not on the left.

Nandy come across as a bit wet Cooper isn't on the left but she's a solid performer with a lot iof experience but would get destroyed by those still mourning Corbyn after a year who think ten days for a dead Duke is excessive.

I just hope that if Labour go for a woman it doesn't look like a positive disrcecrimination appointment because that will cost votes in an election.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

One other problem for Labour is that historically they are happy to stand those who I’d most like to see as leader (local connection, normal background, authentic, tends to be more left and more honest) in marginals where centrist careerists don’t do well - and then parachute the Oxbridge oddballs into the safe seats.

Unfortunately when they take a drubbing nationally, the good MPs in the marginals bare the brunt of it.

Thelma Walker is one that springs to mind. Former Colne Valley labour MP lost in ’19, former headteacher, resigned membership in protest at Starmer’s purges, now standing for Northern Independence Party in Hartlepool and a total diamond. If she were the labour candidate in Hartlepool, they’d win. Instead they parachuted in some clean shirt weapon.

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Labour up 6 compared to the one posted earlier. Again showing why we should not over analyse single polls.

Any analyst worth their salt will tell you to look at poll trends rather than individual polls. 

Will be interesting if Greenshill starts to cut through at all

7 hours ago, mattiloy said:

I voted Nandy as well and think that someone like her is actually best bet of having some kind of support across the party but she doesn’t come across as the most convincing speaker. Thornburry a few years ago looked like a shoe in but she’s tarnished now. Sultana will be the poster child of the left in a few years it seems, wouldn’t be surprised if she ran for Starmers successor.

Walker standing in Hartlepool and cosplaying as Mackem when she’s from Manchester made me chuckle - the whole party is just the Fast Show sketch.

12 hours ago, topmarksbri said:

I voted Nandy as well and think that someone like her is actually best bet of having some kind of support across the party but she doesn’t come across as the most convincing speaker. Thornburry a few years ago looked like a shoe in but she’s tarnished now. Sultana will be the poster child of the left in a few years it seems, wouldn’t be surprised if she ran for Starmers successor.

Could well be Nandy next time, she's centre left and has done ok as shadow foreign sec but could probably do with a bigger role. Can see Reeves standing, she's definitely ambitious and has been one of the better ministers at attacking the tories, but she'll be unpopular on the left. Dodds is clever, but jury definitely out whether she could cut it. Rayner is another one, but she needs a different job to the one she's got.

I’ve been wondering if this lobbying scandal could be more damaging for Johnson than we realise. In PMQs when he was asked if he knew of any other officials dealings he just avoided the answer. He didn’t give the standard politicians response of ‘I was not aware’ which would imply he was aware and that it’s also easily provable. I wonder if there’s more to come out about this in the media soon?