news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’ve been wondering if this lobbying scandal could be more damaging for Johnson than we realise. In PMQs when he was asked if he knew of any other officials dealings he just avoided the answer. He didn’t give the standard politicians response of ‘I was not aware’ which would imply he was aware and that it’s also easily provable. I wonder if there’s more to come out about this in the media soon?

maybe...and if he's seen as just another politician in on it for himself then it could hurt him....but then again the bloke is made of teflon and could be able to just shrug it off like everything else...good old boris etc.

33 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Could well be Nandy next time, she's centre left and has done ok as shadow foreign sec but could probably do with a bigger role. Can see Reeves standing, she's definitely ambitious and has been one of the better ministers at attacking the tories, but she'll be unpopular on the left. Dodds is clever, but jury definitely out whether she could cut it. Rayner is another one, but she needs a different job to the one she's got.

She's been anonymous as shadow foreign secretary and not done good against the awful raab.reeves will get more hate from the corbynites in mourning than starmer does.

Edited by eFestivals

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

maybe...and if he's seen as just another politician in on it for himself then it could hurt him....but then again the bloke is made of teflon and could be able to just shrug it off like everything else...good old boris etc.

There is that too 😂 something one day will cause support for the Tories to collapse, maybe this is it?

(it probably isn’t)

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

She's been anonymous as shadow foreign secretary and not done good against the awful raab.reeves will get more hate from the corbynites in mourning than starmer does.

Nandy hasn't been annonymous, but who cares what the shadow foreign sec is saying during a health crisis, who cares what the foreign sec is saying too. She made a speech last month setting out labour's foreign policy, but obviously no one noticed.

I think at moment it could be Reeves, and labour will implode.

13 hours ago, topmarksbri said:

Any analyst worth their salt will tell you to look at poll trends rather than individual polls. 

Will be interesting if Greenshill starts to cut through at all

I voted Nandy as well and think that someone like her is actually best bet of having some kind of support across the party but she doesn’t come across as the most convincing speaker. Thornburry a few years ago looked like a shoe in but she’s tarnished now. Sultana will be the poster child of the left in a few years it seems, wouldn’t be surprised if she ran for Starmers successor.

Walker standing in Hartlepool and cosplaying as Mackem when she’s from Manchester made me chuckle - the whole party is just the Fast Show sketch.

If she was going to impact as leade she'd be able to impact as shadow foreign secretary.

37 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'm laughing at the new idea that Scotland can be like Denmark not sure how it's going to be physically attached to the EU s biggest market or how Scots will like having the biggest tax burden o to any country in the world or paying for their own green energy sources.

29 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The only chance Scotland has of surviving independence is if they take the resources of Yorkshire with them. 

I’m up for a Scandinavian alliance. Bring back the Danelaw!

The reason there's always these different Scotland can be like so and so things thrown out is because none of these previous ones are convincing I suspect some of the true believers will swallow th we Denmark thing but any who haven't drunk the koolaid and use their brains will immediately spot the holes scotland it's on the perifery of the EU and the perifery states are the economically weakest the only one that's found a way round that is Ireland by being a tax haven giving billionaires a freebie isn't what more left wingbondy Scotland is meant to be about and biden is screwing that route.

Edited by eFestivals

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The reason there's always these different Scotland can be like so and so things thrown out is because none of these previous ones are convincing I suspect some of the true believers will swallow th we Denmark thing but any who haven't drunk the koolaid and use their brains will immediately spot the holes scotland it's on the perifery of the EU and the perifery states are the economically weakest the only one that's found a way round that is Ireland by being a tax haven giving billionaires a freebie isn't what more left wingbondy Scotland is meant to be about and biden is screwing that route.

Do you think England would be able to go it alone?

6 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Do you think England would be able to go it alone?

Of course the UK doesn't need Scotland which is what offends scotland. The UK would be damaged by scotland leaving.

Just as Scotland will be damaged by leaving.nis as sane as brexit.chhosing toerect barriers with your most important partner and just as leaving the EU doesn't by itself fix any of the UK's bproblems leaving the UK doesn't fix any of Scotland's problems it just creates a huge heap of new problems that carry a heavy cost.

Edited by eFestivals

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Of course the UK doesn't need Scotland which is what offends scotland. The UK would be damaged by scotland leaving.

Just as Scotland will be damaged by leaving.nis as sane as brexit.chhosing toerect barriers with your most important partner and just as leaving the EU doesn't by itself fix any of the UK's bproblems leaving the UK doesn't fix any of Scotland's problems it just creates a huge heap of new problems that carry a heavy cost.

What is it that gives England the ability to succeed independently and not Scotland in your opinion?

16 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

What is it that gives England the ability to succeed independently and not Scotland in your opinion?

Scotland will have to make some big adjustments such as increasing taxes by a lot to meet EU deficit reses in order to be accepted for membership. And to create and establish the institutions of a sovereign nation such as currency and revenue department and a central bank. These thing are expensive and might not work as well as hoped for when esrablished The UK already has all of the requirements of a sovereign nation.the bank of England has a reputation for paying it's debts. As scotland has no reputation.the UK won't be trying to meet EU rules Scotland Will be unless lying about joining which I think it might be. It can duck the awkward questions around the EU by deciding not to join.

29 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Scotland doesn't have anything in place to cover its public spending costs as tax revenues are about £10bn less than public spending latest word from Sturgeon is ghat shell ditch about 30, 000 of the better Scottish jobs. So it's either mega austerity or big tax rises. The numbers have to be made to add up. 

Also 60%of the UK economy isn't with Scotland. With a new customs border in place UK buyers will look for alternative suppliers within England or the EU. So the Scottish economy will be devestated. Its like brexir but much worse. 

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Just to b we clear I've not said Scotland couldn't succeed independently. It's mostly about arkwrard issues caused by the transition to indie but also meeting EU membership rules. scots don't appear keen to adopt the euro. one example could cost pensioners thousands over the years. Indie will do that anyway. Current UK pension rules say that non UKresident pensioners don't get the yearly pension increase. so their UK pension on indy is day is the best it'll ever be.

Edited by eFestivals