news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

If Putin goes, do cooler heads prevail? Or is this more of a China situation, where there's enough general support in government for the way things are done that someone else would pick up the mantle pretty swiftly?

i think so, no one gains in war!

37 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That's the core of it and the one thing I still don't get - is this all just Putin? The personal vendetta of a very powerful man? Ten years ago I'd have said that wasn't possible, but we've seen with Trump that it's possible for an individual to ascend to the highest office of state with personal opinions and goals that aren't even supported by his own team. If Trump had Putin's level of control who knows what would have happened.

If Putin goes, do cooler heads prevail? Or is this more of a China situation, where there's enough general support in government for the way things are done that someone else would pick up the mantle pretty swiftly?

I'm guessing reaction in Russia would mean that if Putin went whomever took over might see that both nationally and internationally it's not a move that goes over well. 

I guess we've seen on our own stage though what happens when an ideology takes over a political party. I know it seems like an oxymoron but in the last few years every reasonable Tory has left parliament which means that if Johnson goes we would get an identikit replacement. 

I suppose we just have to hope that if we were lucky enough to finally oust Putin that more reasonable, sensible heads would prevail. 

39 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The Russians are the main supplier of India's weapons systems. India is also now another populist nationalist state thanks to Modi. Modi's refused to condemn the invasion, just calling for a ceasefire and talks between Russia and NATO. Duplicitious little shit.

Just been speaking to my brother in law, who was also out in Kyiv, but part of the EU training mission there, and he's watching the TV coverage of a tank being attacked, and Russian soldiers in UKR uniforms killled...........in the car park of the block of flats where he lived when deployed there. Brings it right home.

What makes it shocking to me is that I dread to think what some of the drivers and interpreters, as well as the local staff and hotel workers etc who used to look after us are going through. This is close to home. 

22 minutes ago, Copperface said:

The Russians are the main supplier of India's weapons systems. India is also now another populist nationalist state thanks to Modi. Modi's refused to condemn the invasion, just calling for a ceasefire and talks between Russia and NATO. Duplicitious little shit.

india has spent the last 50 years playing the ussr off against the usa, to get development money from each, so this is probably more of the same, of not upsetting those who might gift you money.

Probably why Tusk is so pissed at Germany and Italy. Being Polish this is a much bigger threat to him and the main reason those countries signed up to the EU.

Edited by lost