news & politics:discussion

zahidf

He's looking at a different period in Russian history. Russian orthodoxy was founded in Kiev so that place will be the crown jewel in his new Russia. He see's himself as the last defender of Christianity after the "woke west" has given up on it.

Interesting that Israel has so far refused to condemn him due to the position he took in Syria fighting Islamists rather than Assad. Shows how ridiculous the Corbynista position is.

Edited by lost

28 minutes ago, Neil said:

have you noticed Kiev is no longer Kiev, then you've noticed who is winning the propaganda war.

Kiev is the Russian spelling. Kyiv is Ukrainian.

The Ukrainians have requested the use of Kyiv.

11 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

One of the Russian devs started his update by saying today has not started off as any of us would have hoped.

If Russian banks are being kicked off swift I guess he's probably wondering if he's going to get paid.

28 minutes ago, lost said:

If Russian banks are being kicked off swift I guess he's probably wondering if he's going to get paid.

Will need someone in authority to start that process. The trouble is that we’ve got a Russian funded government who won’t get involved. 

33 minutes ago, lost said:

He might also care about his colleagues he's a decent guy. Not every Russian supports Putin just like not all of us voted for Brexit or Johnson.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

He might also care about his colleagues he's a decent guy. Not every Russian supports Putin just like not all of us voted for Brexit or Johnson.

How popular is Putin these days? Or are people just too scared to voice any opposition? I wonder how public opinion will be if this war continues for some time with more and more Russian soldiers coming home in body bags, as well the economy going tits up.

Edited by steviewevie

21 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

This is true but also not all of us have months of living costs in the bank as well. If you've worked out your not going to get paid and have bills and rent to pay I would think most of us would start looking elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

How popular is Putin these days? Or are people just too scared to voice any opposition? I wonder how public opinion will be if this war continues for some time with more and more Russian soldiers coming home in body bags, as well the economy going tits up.

Interestingly it's never been discussed on any calls I have ever been on. My husband also works for the same company for even longer than me and has met many of them in person and said only 1 he has ever met was pro Russia full stop and he was an older guy. Most of the younger people don't like Putin at all. In fact I know one of them was hoping to move to Europe pre-pandemic. 

3 minutes ago, lost said:

This is true but also not all of us have months of living costs in the bank as well. If you've worked out your not going to get paid and have bills and rent to pay I would think most of us would start looking elsewhere.

Yes I don't know enough about how the sanctions would work and no doubt it is hugely worrying for Russians who don't agree with the actions either but will doubtless suffer. They are an international company with employees in many countries. One thing I do know is they look after their staff well. One of the Ukranian devs was headhunted for another job with another company but wouldn't take it because he said he has always been well looked after. 

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

My brother's take...

Russia was provoked by NATO expansion. It's almost as if the NATO leaders, mostly Americans, wanted Russia to do it. There didn't seem to be as much outrage when Israel annexed Palestinian lands.

I guess the question to ask though is: why would NATO expansion provoke him? Does he really think Europe is gearing up for war with Russia? It seems more likely that he'd planned to take Ukraine at some point, or at least the separatists parts of it, and if they joined NATO that would be off the table as it'd mean essentially declaring war on Europe.

Yes, he's been "provoked" in to it, but only because he wanted to have the option of doing exactly what he's doing now.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

why would NATO expansion provoke him?

Never really understood why a certain part of labour hate NATO so much when it was the post war labour party who were instrumental in setting it up. Its a big indication for me about which faction is the real labour party.

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I guess the question to ask though is: why would NATO expansion provoke him? Does he really think Europe is gearing up for war with Russia? It seems more likely that he'd planned to take Ukraine at some point, or at least the separatists parts of it, and if they joined NATO that would be off the table as it'd mean essentially declaring war on Europe.

Yes, he's been "provoked" in to it, but only because he wanted to have the option of doing exactly what he's doing now.

It’s not really that he’s worried about NATO attacking but the cultural influence bleeding over from the west to Ukraine and then to Russia which threatens his reign.