news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 hours ago, Copperface said:

Kiev is the Russian spelling. Kyiv is Ukrainian.

The Ukrainians have requested the use of Kyiv.

yup, as part of a defined propaganda campaign.

which i pointed out Russia are losing.

12 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Oh god 

oh man, that's a bit over the top. People can have different opinions with all this. I mean...you could argue that NATO expanding into eastern europe and ex ussr states could be perceived as a threat to Russia, especially as they were given some assurances this wouldn't happen...and now Russia is lashing out. But, at same time the cold war ended over 30 years ago, Russia lost, and since then those countries have become more western and have asked to join EU and NATO. They want to be european, they want to be democratic, and they don't want to be dominated or ruled by Russia anymore, especially with Putin in charge.

In a way it feels similar to Nazi Germany. Germany lost WW1 and then felt humiliated etc and a few decades later the Nazi party rose to power feeding off that humiliation. Maybe this is similar with Putin, and maybe the west could have helped to avoid that humiliation.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

oh man, that's a bit over the top. People can have different opinions with all this. I mean...you could argue that NATO expanding into eastern europe and ex ussr states could be perceived as a threat to Russia, especially as they were given some assurances this wouldn't happen...and now Russia is lashing out. But, at same time the cold war ended over 30 years ago, Russia lost, and since then those countries have become more western and have asked to join EU and NATO. They want to be european, they want to be democratic, and they don't want to be dominated or ruled by Russia anymore, especially with Putin in charge.

In a way it feels similar to Nazi Germany. Germany lost WW1 and then felt humiliated etc and a few decades later the Nazi party rose to power feeding off that humiliation. Maybe this is similar with Putin, and maybe the west could have helped to avoid that humiliation.

But...

"Putin: I am going to invade Ukraine because I want it. I think it belongs to Russia. We used to control it and I miss controlling it. 

Apologists: clearly he has been provoked by NATO"

(Not you but stop the war...)

47 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Oh god 

also...I get that NATO has made mistakes...but NATO were not directly involved in Iraq invasion were they? Some NATO countries were, and some were against. And by Yugoslavia do they mean the Kosovo war..? Seemed necessary to me, ethnic cleansing in europe. Were all NATO countries in support of Afghanistan? I mean anyway..a NATO member had been attacked by a terrorist group based in Afghanistan...that was the premise. Libya was definitely a fuck up, but it was trying to end a savage civil war....but yeah, not sure that is in NATO's remit.

Edited by steviewevie

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

by Yugoslavia do they mean the Kosovo war..? Seemed necessary to me, ethnic cleansing in europe. 

Yes, I seem to remember at the time Corbyn/McDonnell/Abbott tried to pass a commons motion that the genocide had been fabricated.

29 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Maybe a stupid question but what do they want with Chernobyl? Surely just a show of strength and no intention to try to make it operational again or anything? The thought of fighting going on around the reactor is pretty terrifying.

Not a stupid question at all, and yes the possibilities are terrifying.

30 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Not a stupid question at all, and yes the possibilities are terrifying.

That;s not to forget the other fifteen active currently operational reactors at four major sites in Ukraine.

One little accident due to conflict could unleash a radioactive cloud that could clearly drift over into NATO territories. Would not put that past Putin in his current state at all and fits his hybrid grey warfare model. 

Contaminating a western state without use of nuclear weapons and the simple answer of claiming an 'accident'.

We all got withdrawn from Kyiv eight days ago along with US and Canadian colleagues and that was definitely a topic that was raised on the journey out by people who are expert in these things. Think it's the first time there's been major conflict in a country with nuclear capacity.

12 minutes ago, Copperface said:

That;s not to forget the other fifteen active currently operational reactors at four major sites in Ukraine.

One little accident due to conflict could unleash a radioactive cloud that could clearly drift over into NATO territories. Would not put that past Putin in his current state at all and fits his hybrid grey warfare model. 

Contaminating a western state without use of nuclear weapons and the simple answer of claiming an 'accident'.

We all got withdrawn from Kyiv eight days ago along with US and Canadian colleagues and that was definitely a topic that was raised on the journey out by people who are expert in these things. Think it's the first time there's been major conflict in a country with nuclear capacity.

could also drift over Russia too though, right?

48 minutes ago, Copperface said:

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

could also drift over Russia too though, right?

ha I literally had the exact same words in my head to reply until I saw yours