news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

If anyone hasn't signed this I'd be grateful if you would. I really want to tell my colleagues that we are not being complete c**** and that they are welcome. 

https://www.change.org/p/allow-ukraine-refugees-in-the-uk?recruiter=650078819&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial&recruited_by_id=e051fde0-bf1f-11e6-a768-53fabe40ea3c

Thankfully all still safe but one of them is so hurt and angry that I am really worried for him. 

Signed.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

is he not? I assume Putin won't be there either. Anyway, it's good that they are at least talking, even though there doesn't seem to be much optimism of a break through.

It is just Russia saying they are looking for peace. It's a trap and Ukraine have said it has to be elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

If anyone hasn't signed this I'd be grateful if you would. I really want to tell my colleagues that we are not being complete c**** and that they are welcome. 

https://www.change.org/p/allow-ukraine-refugees-in-the-uk?recruiter=650078819&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial&recruited_by_id=e051fde0-bf1f-11e6-a768-53fabe40ea3c

Thankfully all still safe but one of them is so hurt and angry that I am really worried for him. 

Done!

Yeah BBC are saying he's sending representatives. Would be too dangerous for him to go along I guess, especially in Belarus which is not exactly neutral.

I think the talks are happening right now but yeah don't have much hope for an outcome. I think it's just for the Russians to claim they have offered something. And the Ukrainians have to show willing.

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Done!

Yeah BBC are saying he's sending representatives. Would be too dangerous for him to go along I guess, especially in Belarus which is not exactly neutral.

I think the talks are happening right now but yeah don't have much hope for an outcome. I think it's just for the Russians to claim they have offered something. And the Ukrainians have to show willing.

talks is one of those things you have to do otherwise you don't look serious about peace.

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Done!

I think it's at a sort of border location...no mans land between Belarus and Ukraine. It's low level talks, but it's a start.

Also...BBC has this new Ukraine podcast which is pretty good...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0bqztzm/episodes/player

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think it's at a sort of border location...no mans land between Belarus and Ukraine. It's low level talks, but it's a start.

Also...BBC has this new Ukraine podcast which is pretty good...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0bqztzm/episodes/player

Cheers, might check that out! 

12 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Seriously????? Who do you trust most the guy who constantly takes money off them and puts them in the house of lords or the other one?

I expect it's more a tory/labour thing...tories more trusted on defence?

Also...Johnson hasn't had too bad a war so far...? First sanctions were lame, but since then he's done ok on the rhetoric if nothing else?

50 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I expect it's more a tory/labour thing...tories more trusted on defence?

Also...Johnson hasn't had too bad a war so far...? 

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. His status on Ukrainian refugees is a disgrace and he gave his people (and I include some Russians in that) time to minimise the impact of any sanctions. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

well...yeah...me too actually...but looks like govt slowly u-turning on all that...

That's always going to be my biggest problem with this government they always start from the cruellest, no conscience position and do as little as their people let them get away with. They are meant to be leading us not the other way around. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

...and then it begs the question of the british electorate...are they more interested in us being open to taking more refugees, or do they want us to look tough against Russia and Putin?

Why not both? Welcoming the people he is trying to destroy is actually a way of being tough. I also think we have to be careful about who in Russia we are tough on. The ordinary people of Russia don't want this war. If we abandon them as well then it could work in Putin's favour. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Why not both? Welcoming the people he is trying to destroy is actually a way of being tough. I also think we have to be careful about who in Russia we are tough on. The ordinary people of Russia don't want this war. If we abandon them as well then it could work in Putin's favour. 

yeah, I agree...but I can't speak for everyone!