news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Always felt the monarchy was an outdated system that taxpayers were spending too much on. However, it does feel weird that she is now dead, and I certainly take no delight in a 96 year old woman dying, just because she represented something I disagree with. May she RIP.

It's actually really annoyed me all of the sport being cancelled this weekend for so many reasons:

• Are fans going to be compensated for cancelled travel/hotel plans? Obviously not
  • People that would work the games and/or benefit indirectly now going to be out of pocket 
  • Why are people being forced to grieve? Everything being cancelled almost just to force people to mope about doing what?
  • There could have been a show of respect before each game which would have sufficed, even quite powerful
  • We are expected to work throughout but can't do things you'd enjoy 'as a mark of respect'

By all means mourn her if that is what you want to do/feel. Don't force others to do it as well!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

It's actually really annoyed me all of the sport being cancelled this weekend for so many reasons:

• Are fans going to be compensated for cancelled travel/hotel plans? Obviously not
  • People that would work the games and/or benefit indirectly now going to be out of pocket 
  • Why are people being forced to grieve? Everything being cancelled almost just to force people to mope about doing what?
  • There could have been a show of respect before each game which would have sufficed, even quite powerful
  • We are expected to work throughout but can't do things you'd enjoy 'as a mark of respect'

By all means mourn her if that is what you want to do/feel. Don't force others to do it as well!

Yeah I agree, it seems very OTT to cancel sporting events and such like. These events will help people in all those ways you outline and also help people feel a bit of happiness at this time (maybe not if your team losses!)

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I agree, it seems very OTT to cancel sporting events and such like. These events will help people in all those ways you outline and also help people feel a bit of happiness at this time (maybe not if your team losses!)

lets cancel the football cos she was well known as a footie fan.

9 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Yeah 100% agree with this. Royal family should pay people's expenses but that financial relationship only goes one way.

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Saw some posts online saying that the Queen expressly did not want anything cancelled, which is why Buckingham Palace said it was down to individual organisations. The cynic in me also says it was delegated to individual organisations to avoid government liability for any cancellations etc. I absolutely hate the use of 'virtue signalling' but that is exactly what it is, it is achieving nothing.

2 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Saw some posts online saying that the Queen expressly did not want anything cancelled, which is why Buckingham Palace said it was down to individual organisations. The cynic in me also says it was delegated to individual organisations to avoid government liability for any cancellations etc. I absolutely hate the use of 'virtue signalling' but that is exactly what it is, it is achieving nothing.

i understand the footie cancelling cos there's so many people involved some would want it cancelled.

I think cancelling football is ridiculous. Some may want to stay home and mourn, but I think it would be a small proportion. People are allowed to get wasted in a nightclub, why not watch a football match.

In our work we are not allowed to update our work social media all week. A friend has been told by his work they shouldn't update their personal social media with anything that shows them enjoying themselves.

14 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think cancelling football is ridiculous. Some may want to stay home and mourn, but I think it would be a small proportion. People are allowed to get wasted in a nightclub, why not watch a football match.

In our work we are not allowed to update our work social media all week. A friend has been told by his work they shouldn't update their personal social media with anything that shows them enjoying themselves.

That last bit is so strange.

so last night we had some music events but some cancelled  .... football has gone for the weekend , f1 remains on with a silence , rugby has gone but only until tomorrow , horse racing cancelled until sunday .... what an absolute shambles .... its not too much effort for these things to go ahead with a tribute ....

24 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

When El Presidente gets voted out by us plebs he doesn't then get to carry on owning vast tracts of the UK to pass on to his family and hike up people's leaseholds whenever the fancy takes him.

This is my take too. Always find it so odd when people go on about specific presidents. It's not a lifelong position appointed by a sky fairy so yes I would prefer it thanks.