news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

It's local government, not central government - we do NOT have to pledge allegiance to the Crown when we sign our contract!

I didn't think you would have to but it might be buried in your contract somewhere being a public entity. Or you have a jobsworth manager.

I would be annoyed the same as you so please don't think I'm backing them up.

18 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I don't recall having to pledge allegiance in the Civil Service. The army yes 

If I was working for Her (His) Majesties Government, I would (begrudgingly) accept the directive, but I don't. Anyway, I refuse to do it, so I might be sacked by this time next week! 🤣

1 minute ago, Punksnotdead said:

If I was working for Her (His) Majesties Government, I would (begrudgingly) accept the directive, but I don't. Anyway, I refuse to do it, so I might be sacked by this time next week! 🤣

I remember having difficulty with the oath of allegiance with the military as I told them I was an atheist and could not swear by God or swear on the Bible. I was only 16 and the officer was apoplectic. If I remember right he just shoved me out and pretended it never happened muttering something along the lines of "he is going to be awkward"

7 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think cancelling football is ridiculous. Some may want to stay home and mourn, but I think it would be a small proportion. People are allowed to get wasted in a nightclub, why not watch a football match.

In our work we are not allowed to update our work social media all week. A friend has been told by his work they shouldn't update their personal social media with anything that shows them enjoying themselves.

Ditto. I hold the social media account for our department at work (NHS) and got an email yesterday saying not to post anything on it for 7 days. Not entirely sure what the rationale is 

5 minutes ago, Digi said:

Ditto. I hold the social media account for our department at work (NHS) and got an email yesterday saying not to post anything on it for 7 days. Not entirely sure what the rationale is 

I hold the social media account as well. Most of my posts are either praising staff or our students. Are these really things the queen would find disrespectful?

Just now, Digi said:

In all fairness I heard on C4 that they were no rules. The last time this happened was the 50's and we are now in an entirely different world. It's a shame she did not leave a will asking for no fuss and a Simply Cremation type of thing.

But while I don't do it myself the nation needs to grieve. People are doing what they think is right rather than allowing life to continue. Welcome World to the 2020's not the 1950's

3 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Hope you're doing okay 

Thank you for asking.

I hate Bipolar it's awesome. 

My baseline is depressed. It seems on the face I am laughing like Robin Williams but I am crying inside. Now and again I get a hyper which can be scarry. But as they say "Life is life 'na na na na na'"

Still I have a cat and he helps.

Its been an enjoyable 24 hrs over on twitter for the iconoclasts amongst us anyway.

But bewildered at the reaction from institutions, businesses and so on. Disappointing in the extreme that they cancelled the footie. Mandatory misery imposed upon those who could not give one single shite that some old bird who spent a century cutting ribbons popped her clogs. All feels a bit north korean to me but hey ho.

083476F6-B16F-4D08-B65A-F7D31C3AC4F2.jpeg

Edited by mattiloy
  • Upvote 1

I think its ok to have a day or two of sad shit, the royals are important to a lot of people, and even if many don't care I think a lot of people like the Queen and would see this as a big deal. But a day or two is enough, and maybe things will ease up now, there was more normal tv on last night and hopefully that will continue, and I think radio will start returning to normal. They shouldn't have postponed the football maybe, but they did. Some other sport is on. I think the idea is that the mood has lifted once Charles arrived at Buckingham palace and then his speech later on, and there will be more Charles doing various things today. It's ok folks, this nice man is here now. We'll be ok, just know your place, keep calm and carry on.