Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

TRNSMT's director, Geoff Ellis in 2019:

"It will be a while until there's a 50/50 balance. That's definitely several years ahead for any major festival to achieve because there's far, far less female artists.

"We need to get more females picking up guitars, forming bands, playing in bands".

Yeah, it's weird. There aren't any women playing indie rock.

3 hours ago, henry bear said:

TRNSMT's director, Geoff Ellis in 2019:

"It will be a while until there's a 50/50 balance. That's definitely several years ahead for any major festival to achieve because there's far, far less female artists.

"We need to get more females picking up guitars, forming bands, playing in bands".

Yeah, it's weird. There aren't any women playing indie rock.

Maybe there are a lot, but if so the music press doesn't promote them well. I mean, if you think about it, what sort of music do female artists that are critical darlings perform? Mostly pop. Think of big name headline sized female acts, they're your Taylor Swifts, Dua Lipas, Beyonces, Ariana Grandes, Billie Eilishes, etc.

The music press likes to run with this idea that rock music is now uncool because something something white men something and pop is more credible and has more artistic merit but they could easily shine a light on the non-white and/or non-male guitar acts. Skating Polly are easily better than the above named acts but barely anyone has heard of them.

So yeah, it's rather disingenuous to insinuate festival promoters are sexist for not booking female headliners for a festival that caters to a specific genre in which female artists just aren't given a lot of coverage by the press, and therefore less mainstream success than their male counterparts. They can either work with what they've got, or do what R&L did and move away from rock for the sake of gender balance.

Edited by VCK

10 minutes ago, sisco said:

Oh how you have us all talking.  Do you happen to be on Twitter?

I’d like to caveat I have heard nothing about him playing/stage; just what I think should happen. 
He could have sold out 6/7 Brixton’s in December - there just wasn’t any space to do so. 

what's happening on twitter?

1 hour ago, roughbloke said:

Whole heartedly believe he is an other stage headliner/closer. He could very well play west holts or park but he’s big enough for other for sure. 

No way imo

You have to think that Bicep who headlined every festival under the sun last year did West Holts, if Bicep are doing WH Fred surely is.

11 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I looked how far down The Enemy are for their Neighbourhood Weekender slot. I think they are playing lower slots to do as many as possible. They are my hunch to open the Other stage Friday lunch

Mate they were brilliant at Kentish Town.  I’d guess they’ll do the Truck, Tramlines, Victorious route.  We’ll hope they do 

No way The Enemy are/were ever big enough for that Other opener slot. That slot tends to get old esteemed acts who were massive in their day and have tapered off a bit since. The Enemy were a little bit big once upon a time when any slightly indie guitar act could make the cover of NME and then swiftly nosedived in to obscurity with their material going with them. They’d be lucky to get a Avalon slot these days.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

No way The Enemy are/were ever big enough for that Other opener slot. That slot tends to get old esteemed acts who were massive in their day and have tapered off a bit since. The Enemy were a little bit big once upon a time when any slightly indie guitar act could make the cover of NME and then swiftly nosedived in to obscurity with their material going with them. They’d be lucky to get a Avalon slot these days.

Beady Eye opened the other. You're way underplaying them. As if they are the only band to ever nick a trick. 

35 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Beady Eye opened the other. You're way underplaying them. As if they are the only band to ever nick a trick. 

image.png.80a95a740d33ef4005f1884725b98ad8.png

Please refer to writing in blue

To be fair theres only two oasis songs but a gallaghers a gallagher. I hope Franz do it

On 10/29/2022 at 10:16 AM, gfa said:

No way imo

You have to think that Bicep who headlined every festival under the sun last year did West Holts, if Bicep are doing WH Fred surely is.

Would be very happy for him to play wherever to be honest but I do feel like Fred again is more popular within the mainstream right now, even doing that v.popular zane Lowe interview 

will be at whatever stage he ends up playing. 

1 hour ago, roughbloke said:

Would be very happy for him to play wherever to be honest but I do feel like Fred again is more popular within the mainstream right now, even doing that v.popular zane Lowe interview 

will be at whatever stage he ends up playing. 

I agree but he doesn't have the heaps of headline experience that Bicep have. I think WH would be perfect - other is just an unnecessary push and theres so many other acts who seem to be slotting into place for that slot

Just heard LCD Soundsystem are playing Dublin in August, Yeah Yeah Yeahs supporting. Haven’t been following this thread, so not sure if either have been mentioned previously, but tossing them into the mix! (Might be too late in the summer for Glasto, or the Dublin gig could be the tail end of a European run, don’t have any more info than a date in Kilmainham in August!). 

36 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Just heard LCD Soundsystem are playing Dublin in August, Yeah Yeah Yeahs supporting. Haven’t been following this thread, so not sure if either have been mentioned previously, but tossing them into the mix! (Might be too late in the summer for Glasto, or the Dublin gig could be the tail end of a European run, don’t have any more info than a date in Kilmainham in August!). 

That'd place them for an APE return maybe...  is it announced or a rumour you heard?