Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Billie Eilish has announced she won't tour next Summer after all as not financially viable.

It's hard to see that as a good sign.  : (

That's not really how I read that announcement - more likely the logistics of doing a world tour next summer are going to be too difficult and she'd rather refund her fans. I don't think that really has any bearing on singular events like Glastonbury - although certainly I think we might get a slightly stranger line up than recent years..

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Billie Eilish has announced she won't tour next Summer after all as not financially viable.

It's hard to see that as a good sign.  : (

The way I see it is the mega artists with pots of cash don’t need to play, so many just won’t bother.

For all the other artists they’ll be absolutely desperate to play, as although many of them will be wealthy by normal terms they’ll have lifestyles to maintain and touring and playing festivals is their main source of income.

I will be absolutely delighted if we end up getting a festival, just missing the Kanye/Beyoncé type names at the top of the bill. 

18 hours ago, jparx said:

I totally agree with you but the trouble is, for some fucking bizarre reason, the rank behaviour of football fans is not really challenged or shed a light on. For some reason there’s just a blind eye on it, yet the mere mention of Glastonbury instantly has people turn up their nose. I’ve seen more rank stuff at football matches than at Glastonbury, by some distance...

As someone who both enjoys gigs and football matches - I can't agree with that.

Football fans feel very much victimised and looked down on by the Government, as much as gig-goers - Hillsbrough, anyone?

• Upvote 5

53 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The way I see it is the mega artists with pots of cash don’t need to play, so many just won’t bother.

For all the other artists they’ll be absolutely desperate to play, as although many of them will be wealthy by normal terms they’ll have lifestyles to maintain and touring and playing festivals is their main source of income.

I will be absolutely delighted if we end up getting a festival, just missing the Kanye/Beyoncé type names at the top of the bill. 

I'm happy regardless of who headlines the main stage. I just want the festival to take part. 

IF there is no ability for the 'Mega' stars to appear does that make it less attractive to the BBC and other global media outlets who pay to show the coverage.

Could this be a factor in the festival taking place?

13 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

I'm happy regardless of who headlines the main stage. I just want the festival to take part. 

IF there is no ability for the 'Mega' stars to appear does that make it less attractive to the BBC and other global media outlets who pay to show the coverage.

Could this be a factor in the festival taking place?

Possibly, but I guess Glastonbury has contracts for that sort of thing that go beyond next year, so I wouldn’t have thought it would have any impact on the festival going ahead, as far as needing money from the BBC that is.

I think because of the year we’ve had the BBC will lap up any festival that takes place regardless of who plays. If it goes ahead it’s going to be the best party on earth irrespective of who plays, so I’d imagine they’d be desperate to broadcast it.

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Possibly, but I guess Glastonbury has contracts for that sort of thing that go beyond next year, so I wouldn’t have thought it would have any impact on the festival going ahead, as far as needing money from the BBC that is.

I think because of the year we’ve had the BBC will lap up any festival that takes place regardless of who plays. If it goes ahead it’s going to be the best party on earth irrespective of who plays, so I’d imagine they’d be desperate to broadcast it.

I’ve lost all concept now but it’s also still marketed as the 50th isn’t it ? 

I think it might, but Canadas vaccination schedule is behind the UK's.... it's unlikely I'll be able to get one before the festival. I am nervous about where international travel will be at, at that point. 

If it's a mandatory vaccine to travel I'm going to be out of luck. 

10 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I think it might, but Canadas vaccination schedule is behind the UK's.... it's unlikely I'll be able to get one before the festival. I am nervous about where international travel will be at, at that point. 

Judging by the UK's response to people travelling in DURING a pandemic (no quarantine, very loose "please isolate but you can still get public transport and go to the supermarket), when there is little worry about deaths and hospitals being overwhelmed I'd be surprised if we encourage this. Airlines could be the main problem I guess but only one has fully confirmed it so far. 

Though I'd worry more about what behaviour your government expects when you get back - I imagine most countries won't be as keen to throw the doors open

4 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Unfortunately many of us work for tories many of us not out of choice - work is work.

Absolutely. I work for a huge global company that is no doubt Torried to the eyeballs. I disagree with their stance on a lot of things but they offered me a well paid job, sadly I'm easily bought.

I remember thinking it odd at the time though. Surely a stage company would be the sort of business that freedom of movement would help.

Edited by Gnomicide
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Whats wrong with SH? We usually end up in Pylon and find it exciting seeing the young ones in that field on a night whilst I go back tk bed after pyramid headliner 🙂

Not so much SH as an area, more Sonic tbh which is a Serious Stages job. Weird set up with mainly shite acts. Looks nice from a distance though.

1 hour ago, MetaKate said:

I’m coming in from Canada too and tbh am not too concerned about airlines making vaccines mandatory to travel for the forseeable future. Until a vaccine is widely available to everyone, I’m not sure how they can justify it. The industry has been gutted for the last 9 months, why then limit yourself to the passengers you’ll accept when things are opening up again?

I think a negative test will be fine until a vaccine is widely available. 

20 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I would expect this would be made a priority next year. Also reckon most folk would bring their own supplies, we’ve always done that anyway.

I've got mates who literally bring a school-sized backback full of booze, can't imagine them bringing their own sanitizer.